VIDEO: Steady to Flush

Higgins

VIDEO: Steady to Flush

Post by Higgins » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 am

Here is a short video I shot a few days ago. It shows a Griffon steady to flush. I included some slow-motion footage so you can see exactly at what point the dog chose to break for the bird. The actions in a shooting scenario that dogs respond to (when they make a decision to be steady or unsteady) are: (1) the smell of the bird, (2) the shooter walking up and past the dog, (3) the flush of the bird, (4) the shooter swinging the gun, (5) the shot, (6) the bird being hit, (7) the fall of the bird.

Keep in mind, our dogs are accomplished hunting dogs and our style of hunting is unique. The bird makes the rules. I encourage them to think and react to situations on their own. We call it "Classic Hunting". We use these same dogs for hunting with hawks and falcons.

Take a look, tell me what you see. A hint, don't let the title fool you.

http://youtu.be/QWyGO8GVC4w

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

4dabirds

Re: VIDEO: Steady to Flush

Post by 4dabirds » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:45 am

The dog is steady to the flush but breaks as the gun is set in motion. As the sequence of events happens the dog learns to anticipate by the cues given. First it is the shot as the pre-cue to move ,then it is the gun mount , then it will be the bird flushing. If the dog learns the gun shot is a cue to stay on point, this would be alleviated. Just the way I see it. Nice video/editing.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 am

Hello 4dabirds,

When I see a dog move, I look at his intent. You're right, the dog moves as the bird flies to the left, followed by the gun. He moves (pivots) to see where the bird is going but his intent to run does not happen until after the shot. In fact, he does not release himself until he sees that the bird has been hit. I like using slow motion film to help me see exactly what the dogs are responding to.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:27 am

I like when they are supposed to be broke, it sucks having a dog that goes with the bird, really tough to know when a wild bird flushed wild while being pointed or if the dog took it for a ride when they are allowed to go with the bird, much easier to correct when they are broke and make a mistake.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm

I guess that it is a matter of personel preference but there are many places that I hunt that it becomes more about safety than anything else. I can assure you that the first time that the dog takes after a bird in flight and rolls right off a 50' cliff you will change things up because it could be a 500' or 1000' drop on the next one.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I am not sure if that was aimed at me or not, if so, I probably could have written that more clearly.

What I mean is I like the dog to be completely broke. I think it is easier to keep a dog completely broke than just staunch. If you allow your dog to go with the flush, or shot, it is much more difficult to recognize if the dog made a mistake.

When they are supposed to be dead broke swsf then it takes most of the guess work out, if a bird goes and they do to, they most likely screwed up (although there are a few scenarios they may not have) and a correction is most likely warranted.

There is no need for wondering if you caused the bird to flush, if the dog caused it, if the bird flushed wild etc... By the time you go back to the video review, it is too late.