Picking dog up when creeping

ruffbritt4

Picking dog up when creeping

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Anybody pick there dog up and reposition him to where he first got bird scent? Also, does anybody train without a bird launcher?

mask

Re: Picking dog up when creeping

Post by mask » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm

It depends on the dog but I do it if that is what will work. It will work better on a dog that has a lot of point and wants to use it. I use a launcher mostly for backing drills.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm

I dont pick up my dog, but saw it on a video.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm

pick em up and put em back on the truck, gives em something to think about.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I always agree with your excellent posts but not this time. :) :wink: I don't believe a dog can figure that he is being put back in the truck because he crept. I deal with it right then and there by re positioning.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't disagree Sharon, maybe I rushed to the truck :lol: But if after replacing the dog a couple times it continues.......well......on the truck they go. I do think they think about it, but not until they've been given a corrective measure a few times :wink:

Ive got one that wanted to creep, then i fixed it and the retrieve slipped, then i fixed that and she creeped again.....squirrely little devil just has to mess with me somehow, but she's an animated lil thing and that personality makes her really fun to hunt with,
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm

So you would advise repositioning the dog?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Yes, I am not afraid to do that....I rarely have to but i see no harm in it. Done quietly and without anger of course. Last thing i want to do is intimidate the dog in the field on a bird.

It is why launchers can be such a great tool tho.....and this is why i like to Stop to flush train a dog early. I don't want the dog to have fun chasing a bird it just creeped on.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I understand, thanks. He is starting to stand off the birds more and more. In good scenting conditions he does great.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I don't disagree Sharon, maybe I rushed to the truck :lol: But if after replacing the dog a couple times it continues.......well......on the truck they go. I do think they think about it, but not until they've been given a corrective measure a few times :wink:

Ive got one that wanted to creep, then i fixed it and the retrieve slipped, then i fixed that and she creeped again.....squirrely little devil just has to mess with me somehow, but she's an animated lil thing and that personality makes her really fun to hunt with,
When I put a dog back in the van it's to make me feel better - "Yeh? Then take this!" :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm

LOL :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Got my first set of remote traps about 25 yrs ago, Wag Ag. haven't picked up a dog and set it back since. Dog moves anything, even it's eyes, I pop the bird and go on. The dog want's the bird and thrives on appreciation. I have to pop it out, it goes away, i say nothing and go on. Better luck next time buddy!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:56 am

DonF wrote:Got my first set of remote traps about 25 yrs ago, Wag Ag. haven't picked up a dog and set it back since. Dog moves anything, even it's eyes, I pop the bird and go on. The dog want's the bird and thrives on appreciation. I have to pop it out, it goes away, i say nothing and go on. Better luck next time buddy!
If the setup is right...I will do both. Pop the bird for movement of any kind AND, if there is another launcher or bird in the area I will physically pick the dog up, set it back, style it up and back off. After a minute or more, I will walk in,and pop the second trap. THEN the dog gets stroked and rewarded, and we move on.

During most of my early bird drills with a dog, there are two traps reasonably close together, just in case. Later on, I will always have a pigeon or two in a bag and after the trap bird is launched, I will often resume flushing, . Sometimes I will slip a bird out and let if fly. I want the dog to grow roots there until I physically put my hands on it. if it does not know if there will be another bird flying or not, it will stand there high and tight.

RayG

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:55 am

If they are fully whoa broke, transitioned from the command to scent as a cue, they will be staunch with no creep - EVER. Relocations should be done swiftly with purpose. I wil not abide a creeping dog.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Some dogs are harder to steady than others. For some, I'll pick em' up and set em' back and I don't do it gently.

Most of my work though is done with launchers. I thought I knew a lot about launchers until I read a lot of Don F's posts. What he says is golden. It's common sense you just need a good whack sometimes to see the light.

Now, the part I'm talking about is where Don says "Dog moves anything, even it's eyes, I pop the bird and go on." I used to wait until the dog physically moved but now if they wag a tail or look sideways, the bird is gone. Thanks Don. Only took me 30 years to learn that. :lol: :lol:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:"Dog moves anything, even it's eyes, I pop the bird and go on." I used to wait until the dog physically moved but now if they wag a tail or look sideways, the bird is gone.
+1

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 pm

agree with everyone....but as I've said before , don't like check cords or hands or voice commands (if it can be helped). That"s the reason what I do now revolves around making a dog honest from the start because they want to be honest, not because i make them be honest. To start, move a muscle, turn a head and the dog DOESN'T"T get to see a bird. It's not surprising then that young dogs figure out that standing staunch gets them what they want and lacking checkcords and hands and commands they think its their idea and it becomes habit from the start.

for the other 1 percent sometimes ya gotta go old school on em......

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno