Training a 5 year old GSP

robert_lh

Training a 5 year old GSP

Post by robert_lh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey everyone. I have a friend with a 5 year old GSP. He always had aspirations of training the dog to hunt, but the dog is older now and he thinks it's too late. I train with my dog on his property and his dog is always out running with mine mainly to use as a distraction. She doesn't know how to find birds because she doesn't have the prey drive built in her yet. I would like to see her get into hunting, it would be good for him and good for the dog. What do you all think?

4dabirds

Re: Training a 5 year old GSP

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:56 am

Start from scratch, proper bird intro , then build prey drive by letting the dog chase and catch pigeons. If the dog will aggressively chase clipped wing pigeons then you have something to work with. Once the dog is chasing hard do proper gun intro, wich when done properly will build a positive association between birds and guns. Get past these two steps and you should be good to go.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:52 am

ditto above. I've fostered many shelter dogs that were older and turned into very nice hunting dogs. They either have it or they don't. You'll find out quickly once he's been on birds a few times.

chavarra77

Post by chavarra77 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:12 am

I have a friend that foster a yellow lab bitch. This bitch was not so pure maybe like 7/8 of lab. And also spent all her life in the city. But my friend gave her a chance and she turn in to a very good retriever. She had a very fine nose and was a very good swimer allways working with joy and passion.
But I agree some dogs have it and others not.

robert_lh

Post by robert_lh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:09 pm

4dabirds wrote:Start from scratch, proper bird intro , then build prey drive by letting the dog chase and catch pigeons. If the dog will aggressively chase clipped wing pigeons then you have something to work with. Once the dog is chasing hard do proper gun intro, wich when done properly will build a positive association between birds and guns. Get past these two steps and you should be good to go.
Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll give it a try this week. It might be kind of fun to share progress and get tips when I need them. This is new territory and I appreciate all of yours help.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

Probably the most difficult part will be waking up the instinct's in the dog. They get buried after a few years sometimes but they are still there if they were there to start.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!