New, need help choosing a training program

PineValleyBritt

New, need help choosing a training program

Post by PineValleyBritt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 am

I have my first bird dog he's a 5 month old brittany. I've been tring to do as much training as I can with being on swing shifts to try an get him close to being able to take him out for ohio season. I've bought different different books an DVDs an I just can't make a decision on a training program an I can't afford to buy more to try an find a program I like an can follow easily for someone who doesn't kno much about bird dogs. I bought George hickcox great beginnings, I just didn't understand we're they trained the basic commands with clicker It didn't really show it. I did make a new friend around here who is willing to help with training an he had birds but I just need to decide on a program. Any info on programs that are easy for new trainers to learn an follow

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New, need help choosing a training program

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

If you have found someone that has dogs he has trained and they satisfy what you are wanting then use him and forget the programs. Nothing will equal a mentor if he is able to help.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

PineValleyBritt wrote:I have my first bird dog he's a 5 month old brittany. I've been tring to do as much training as I can with being on swing shifts to try an get him close to being able to take him out for ohio season. I've bought different different books an DVDs an I just can't make a decision on a training program an I can't afford to buy more to try an find a program I like an can follow easily for someone who doesn't kno much about bird dogs. I bought George hickcox great beginnings, I just didn't understand we're they trained the basic commands with clicker It didn't really show it. I did make a new friend around here who is willing to help with training an he had birds but I just need to decide on a program. Any info on programs that are easy for new trainers to learn an follow
Most important thing about training
You need to figure what makes the most sense to you that you will be able to follow through. Worst thing you can do is jump around from training program to training program when you do not understand any of them
finding a mentor is a better format to start and you can grow from there. Books though great in words can never say enough to teach about timing as you may get the right motions down but if you do not have timing those motions and actions mean nothing.
welcome to the confusing world of bird dogs and hunting and if you get into trialing..My condolences :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 pm

PineValleyBritt wrote: I bought George hickcox great beginnings, I just didn't understand we're they trained the basic commands with clicker It didn't really show it.
Not quite sure what you mean by "it didn't really show it"?

I agree that a mentor with birds can be a valuable asset to training, but just how much time is he willing to spend with your dog? I do think you're on the right track, and commend you for the desire to follow a program. I just hope you and your friend are on the same page.

Nate

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 pm

im not going to suggest a program, but everyone starting out should read (top one, best way to train your gun dog) http://www.delmarsmithkennels.com/products.html
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:09 am

Just remember you get what you pay for. You have stated that you do not understand the clicker training part of this video. Maybe it is time to do a little research on this subject as well as other methods to determine wether they fit your sense of what it is that you expect from your self as well as from your dog. If you follow Georges video you will have a good start at training a hunting dog , but there is a lot more to it then you will get in any video. There is a lot of info on the net , some of it good and some of it bad. It would be best to educate yourself in canine behavior and this will help you determine wether a plan is good or not. Read the book Culture Clash By Jean Donaldson,. You can get it on line as a pdf for free. It espouses training a dog using mostly positive reinforcement ,using behavioral traits in dogs to accomplish your goal . Where it diverges with hunting dog training is in the use of e-collars. The author obviously does not deal with high prey drive dogs in the act of actually preying on another animal. That said ,the understanding of canine behavior you will get from the book will be of great help. Nothing can replace working with a good dog trainer or mentor. The problem with this is that you are not qualified to determine good with out a little research. Read the book then go back to the video it will help you to understand the process a little better. http://www.clickandtreat.com/ Gary Wilkes is the guy that helped Hickox to adapt clicker training to gun dogs . Check out his site . Georges site has a lot of good info on it in the previously published article section as well.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:26 am

Well, if you don't understand it, your dog wont either. Always remember that. When things are simple for you, they will also be simple for the dog.
A dog doesn't understand English, but it will always read your eyes, voice, and touch, in a positive way, or negative way.
You have to figure out, how its being used. An old saying, "Silence is golden, duct tape is silver"

Not for sure where St. Clair is, I am located about 2hr south of Cinn. I have got several levels dogs that I am working right now, several different breeds. If you would like to come down, the door is open. Help me work, and watch, ask questions when we are done working that dog. I have the ground, quail, and pigeons. We can work out something in between the swing shift. There's no charge, just bring yourself, and your dog. Hope it helps, Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:38 am

tailcrackin wrote:Well, if you don't understand it, your dog wont either.
I am stealing that....top notch Jonesy

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 am

birddog1968 wrote:im not going to suggest a program, but everyone starting out should read (top one, best way to train your gun dog) http://www.delmarsmithkennels.com/products.html
His book written by Terrant has been out of publication for years. I don't know why it is still advertised. My wife bought me a used one for $60. :?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:im not going to suggest a program, but everyone starting out should read (top one, best way to train your gun dog) http://www.delmarsmithkennels.com/products.html
His book written by Terrant has been out of publication for years. I don't know why it is still advertised. My wife bought me a used one for $60. :?
Check abe.com American Book exchange. 60 bucks seems realy high.

Edit

WOW Was I ever wrong. $60 is a good price. They want 200 for a new one.

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:20 am

I don't have any intentions of field trials or grand champions Iam just looking to train a weekend bird dog that will get on birds maybe a month out of the year. If he knows here, heel , an whoa an steady points birds an hunts close, an fetches very well, he would make my finished bird dog. I love to bird hunt when season comes around but here in ohio all are hunts are on pen raised birds.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 am

Neil wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:

Edit

I'll bet Terrant's estate retains the rights to this book and that is why it is not being reprinted. Too bad, great book. :(

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 am

I don't have any intentions of field trials or grand champions Iam just looking to train a weekend bird dog that will get on birds maybe a month out of the year. If he knows here, heel , an whoa an steady points birds an hunts close, an fetches very well, he would make my finished bird dog. I love to bird hunt when season comes around but here in ohio all are hunts are on pen raised birds.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:36 pm

tailcrackin wrote:Well, if you don't understand it, your dog wont either. Always remember that. When things are simple for you, they will also be simple for the dog.
A dog doesn't understand English, but it will always read your eyes, voice, and touch, in a positive way, or negative way.
You have to figure out, how its being used. An old saying, "Silence is golden, duct tape is silver"

Not for sure where St. Clair is, I am located about 2hr south of Cinn. I have got several levels dogs that I am working right now, several different breeds. If you would like to come down, the door is open. Help me work, and watch, ask questions when we are done working that dog. I have the ground, quail, and pigeons. We can work out something in between the swing shift. There's no charge, just bring yourself, and your dog. Hope it helps, Thanks Jonesy

This is the best offer I've seen a pro that will help and answer questions for you helping him

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Boy, I would find a way to take Jonesy up on that if I were you. :)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Neil wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:

Edit

It can be had from amazon and google in the 40 dollar range...
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Jonesy is a wonderful person and a good trainer, I would for sure take him up on his offer. He uses common sense with dogs - and I've found that what I think of as common sense just isn't so common anymore!

Go spend a day or a weekend with him in the field.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I think the West or Dave walker methods are really simple and easy to understand and do. All you need is a pinch collar l, cc, and some birds. They are also very good for soft dogs, which is a huge benefit for Britt's. Throwing a rolled up towl at a Britt is not a sound training method IMO.
Mo Lindy posts in here and has a yahoo group too, if you need help.

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 am

I would forsure take him up on that if he didn't live close to 8 hours away from me

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:24 am

You are very close to the Buckeye NAVHDA chapter. Suggest you contact them for next training day.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:20 am

PineValleyBritt wrote:I would forsure take him up on that if he didn't live close to 8 hours away from me

My friend, I will say this just as plain as I can: Jonesy has made you an offer that is just too good to refuse. Don't.

I would clear a three day period, maybe Friday through Sunday, make motel reservations and drive myself and my dog down there Thursday night... if I were you.

Three days of watching and working with a good pro can show you more than you could ever hope to learn in a year by yourself reading books and watching videos.

RayG

PS - If you need to justify this to yourself, your wife or anyone else, just go to the Smith website or the Hickox website or Perfection kennels website and find out what a three day seminar costs. Those seminars typically have ten or more participants, and their dogs, competing for the trainer's attention. You are being offered a one-on -one.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

RayGubernat wrote:
PineValleyBritt wrote:I would forsure take him up on that if he didn't live close to 8 hours away from me

My friend, I will say this just as plain as I can: Jonesy has made you an offer that is just too good to refuse. Don't.

I would clear a three day period, maybe Friday through Sunday, make motel reservations and drive myself and my dog down there Thursday night... if I were you.

Three days of watching and working with a good pro can show you more than you could ever hope to learn in a year by yourself reading books and watching videos.

RayG

PS - If you need to justify this to yourself, your wife or anyone else, just go to the Smith website or the Hickox website or Perfection kennels website and find out what a three day seminar costs. Those seminars typically have ten or more participants, and their dogs, competing for the trainer's attention. You are being offered a one-on -one.
One thing that Ray didn't mention in his post is that you could end up with a mentor for future training problems. This is too good of an offer to pass on one on one time with a pro is the best experience you could ever ask for. No books or videos will ever answer all your questions

Thanks
Stan

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Yea I understand that. We are talkin an tring to figure when both a schedules work

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Will be heading down to hang out with jonsey this weekend to try an learn as much as possible on two days