Small Victories (puppy update)

FirearmFan

Small Victories (puppy update)

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 am

This weekend I decided to do a little bit of work with the new pup. I wanted to do a few retrieves but I don't really have any long hallways in my house because we have a real open floor plan. I decided the best closed off area was my master bathroom so I sat in my bedroom facing my bathroom and used some baby/pet gates to block the way outside of the bathroom door. This gave me about a 15-20 ft tunnel with no where to veer off.

I used a small white paint roller as the dummy and showed it to my pup and let him get interested. I tossed it a short distance and he took off right after it. He picked it right up, turned around, ran right back to me and jumped in my lap. He received a lot of praise and he was loving it. I gave him 4 or 5 retrieves before calling it a day. He definitely wanted more. He performed like he had been doing it for years. I let him hold the roller for a little bit rather than just taking it. He mouthed it a bit but retrieved like a champ.

The next day I decided to try a water intro. We took him to a small local lake with a little launch for canoes and kayaks. I walked in the water and my wife was still on land. I expected both of us would need to get in and coax him slowly into the water. Before she could set foot in the water he had jumped right in after me. I walked in a little deeper and he got to the point where he couldn't touch the bottom. Without a pause he took off swimming. Again, he looked like he had been doin this for years.

I know we have a long way to go yet but I've got to say that I'm really proud of the little guy.

I know this may not seem like a big deal but this being my first gun dog I feel like I'm allowed to get excited over the little things.

Donnytpburge

Re: Small Victories (puppy update)

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:41 pm

firearm:

You have every right to be exited.

proud for you, enjoy it!

DB

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Great lookin' pup!!

moxie

Post by moxie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Big congrats, sounds like you are doing it all right and the pup sounds great.

Our boy is a little over 7 months now, it's awesome to see the progression. Good luck!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Sounds good! I would never give more than 3 retrieves though.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am

Doing great with Loki! This is the stuff you paid for in the breeding. Good genetics and good instincts. At this age, you could probably get away with giving a few short retrieves in more open area. However, as the dog matures he might want to then take his toy somewhere else. So, if you do move out into an open area, don't think the dog is "trained", you might have to move back to a constricted area as the dog gets older. Just something to watch for and understand when you see it. Glad you found some guys to train with. They will be able to make great suggestions as they watch you with Loki.

Enjoy the ride!

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 am

Nice , that's what it's all about !

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 am

Way to go!! Sounds like you have a pup that is confident and loves you. Your doing great....remember, no rush.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks everyone. He's a keeper. He is doing very well on "hup" so far. I'm excited for more advanced training to start.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 pm

You should be excited and every bit of progress is a big deal. Just keep in mind, there will be some set backs along the way, so don't get discouraged when it happens. You have a confident puppy with good instincts.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way