Steady to Wing and Shot

jtuck

Steady to Wing and Shot

Post by jtuck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 am

I was looking at methods for getting my 12 mth old GSP broke from chasing and steady to wing and eventually shot. In doing some searching I came across this old post and was wondering if anyone has tried this method before? Any success/comments? I have 40 pigeon at my disposal, but they aren't homers. I was wondering if this method would be worth my while with that amount of birds, doing about 3 birds a day or should I just utilize those birds in a better way

Also your thoughts on getting a 12mth old steady. To early? Should I get one years hunting under his belt and maybe wait until spring? He points and holds birds great, he is whoa trained 100% while on CC/lead, but not totally when off lead

thanks

jtuck

Here you go Charles. This will staunch your dog up real well..

You might wanna give my method a whirl.

There are two parts to my method.

your back yard to ingrain the behavior .
And the training field for proving the method took hold.

You'll need 12-14 homing pigeons. (we want homing pigeons because once you fly them they will fly out of the dog sight and out of his mind.
Your CC.
A pinch collar (pinch collars are optional for the real tough dogs)

You will need a helper for the first stages ..

Have your helper place the dog at whoa and next to his side.Instruct him to not say anything to the dog and to keep the dog from taking steps forward. If the dog takes steps,have your helper with out saying a work to pick the dog up and set him back where he was standing. YOU walk 20 feet away from the dog and toss a pigeon to the ground while your helper does exactly as you instructed him. I want you in front of the dog ,because it will be you walking in on the dogs point to make the flush.So lets get him used to having you in front from the get go.

Do 8-10 pigeons twice a day and put the dog up.
The dog between now and the time he is ready to be proved will not see another bird unless he sees it during this proses. If you were to take him to do bird work you will be undoing what you are striving to acheave .

Continue with the proses for two weeks, but test the dog by letting go of the CC after the first week or when you see the dog standing calm..

Continue with the drill for another week or so after you removed the cc from the dog and the dog is standing there after each trow..
Once you get him to this point it is time to prove him in your training field.

Note, that you did not say a word to this dog.no whoa or anything. all so far has been between the dog and the bird.That's what we want when we are hunting or when training .You want a reliable dog over the hill...

Ok. You are ready for the training field. You have your birds,the CC (pinch collar if used) and your helper in tow,if you don't own a remore launcher... Opps,dam*n. I forgot to mention to fire your blank gun after each pigeon release. Sorry. You want the blank gun for distractions and to have him to steady to wing and shot at the same time he is being trained to stop to flush..
Ok ,back to the training field...

The idea here is to test the dog on stop to flush,not on his pointing abilities or his stediness to wing and shot. Although when we reintroduce him to birds,he will be steady to both.....\\

Ok. Plant the bird in middle of the field somewhere and make sure the dog does not see you planting the bird..

The bird is planted in the launcher or the helper has it in his vest and kindda lofing in the field somewhere. If using a helper.Instuct the Helper to throw the pigeon on the ground when he sees the dog is in position to see the pigeon flush. If using a launcher, you will do the same.once the dog is in a position to see the pigeon flush,Flush the bird.But what ever you do do not allow the dog to scent point. We want to surprise him with the flush just like he'll get surprised durring the actual hunt..

Now place the CC on the dog. get him at heel and command him to hunt.

Like I said when he makes his cast towards the launcher before he scents the bird ,release the bird.
I'm going to bet that he puts on the brakes,if not then take him back to your yard and work him some more .then prove him in a week or later.Till he does like he suposed to......
All this will take about 4-6 weeks depending on the dog..
Have any questions, pm me .

Bluesky2012

Re: Steady to Wing and Shot

Post by Bluesky2012 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:55 am

Ray G just posted a method similar but more reliant on the dog finding the bird via smell. It is a few threads down, and that is the method I'm more familiar with, but your way may work just fine.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

I highly recommend the book Training with Mo. It a Mo's version of the West mwthod. Mo is on this forum as well. Also, you can get additional support for this method on the pointingdogs yahoo discussion group. I find the discussion group very informative and interesting. I am currently steadying 3 dogs using this method and really like what I see.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 pm

What method or program are you following for the whoa command ?

jtuck

Post by jtuck » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:20 pm

I used a CC and taught whoa at heel. started on a training table then transitioned to the ground. basicly walking with the dog at heel then givingthe whoa command an i keep moving. I would do it at variouce speeds up to a quick jog. when off cc he is pretty good with listening when he is close and there are limited distractions