Winter Training

FirearmFan

Winter Training

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:16 pm

I was curious what those of you who have to deal with large amounts of snow and cold temperatures do in the winter for training? Living in rural wisconsin I spend quite a few months in freezing temperatures and 2-3 ft of snow. By the time the weather starts to turn nasty (around December) my springer pup will be 6 months old. I would like to continue working with him so I was looking for ideas on how more experienced trainers handle the winter weather. I would imagine as long as you get creative there are a ton of good training methods.

I recently started attending training sessions with a group of local hunters and trialers who have springers and I plan on asking them for ideas but I thought I'd bring it up here as well.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Winter Training

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:56 pm

If you had pointing dogs, I would tell you it would be cheaper to move. But with a spaniel there is a good bit you can do, even with a 6 mo. Work on hup, stay, come, and other such things. Keeping in shape is important. Human treadmills will work for smaller dogs, have to be lengthen for pointers. You can road from 4-wheeler where snow has been removed, or on top from foot if you have a good crust.

Mostly just spend time with him and dream of all the wild birds you will have next year.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Neil wrote:If you had pointing dogs, I would tell you it would be cheaper to move. But with a spaniel there is a good bit you can do, even with a 6 mo. Work on hup, stay, come, and other such things. Keeping in shape is important. Human treadmills will work for smaller dogs, have to be lengthen for pointers. You can road from 4-wheeler where snow has been removed, or on top from foot if you have a good crust.

Mostly just spend time with him and dream of all the wild birds you will have next year.

Moving definitely wouldn't be an option anyways. My wife and I just moved into a beautiful brand new house, I have a although demanding otherwise great job, my hometown and family are less than two hours away in Minnesota, plus Wisconsin and Minnesota are beautiful states. I love having 4 very different seasons and although the snow and cold get old after a long winter I don't mind them that much and there are a lot of fun things to do in the winter.

I definitely plan on using the winter to get him rock solid on all of the basic commands. And I agree that keeping him exercised and in shape is a must.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Don't let the snow stop you - we get tons up here. Great time for hunting bunnies too ;)
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Consider attending a basic obedience course this winter. This will be good for you, the pup and your wife. Click and treat will also serve you well toward future training.

Utilize this time before winter for puppy walks, and introductory field work / birds and guns.

Every springer that I've ever owned or worked with loved the snow. I got my first ESS right after Thanksgiving one year. He came from Texas, but plowed right into the Colorado snow at a pit stop on Vail pass on the trip home. :D

Nate