Steady

Double Shot Banks

Steady

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:29 am

Early duck is this weekend :D
We have a location to hunt with lots of woodies and teal.
Banks is steady when i throw bumpers, but he is a young dog and is really wiggle and excited (doesnt want to sit still obviously)
Is there anything i can do to train for this to help keep him steady other than just throwing bumpers (he is used to this)
Thinking i will hold him steady when the ducks come in, and my dad will shoot them, i will send him. To get a good picture in his head about hunting.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Steady

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am

Cheat. All my blinds have a loop to attach a short lead. When in flooded timber I hook them to a tree. If in the open, I take a stake. I take away the opitions.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:52 am

Neil wrote:Cheat. All my blinds have a loop to attach a short lead. When in flooded timber I hook them to a tree. If in the open, I take a stake. I take away the opitions.
When my lab was young (first season) she couldnt handle the pressure of a couple hundred geese circling a spread in the fields, and would bust. Same with ducks piling into the blocks. I did exacly what Neil is suggesting, and every time she began to fidget i would give a verbal correction. In flooded timber she hung herself a couple times off her platform, that taugth her a quick lesson.

You have many seasons of hunting her ahead of you. letting your dad shoot this season and handling your dog will be the best thing you can do for Banks.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:43 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
Neil wrote:
You have many seasons of hunting her ahead of you. letting your dad shoot this season and handling your dog will be the best thing you can do for Banks.

Jim
+1
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 am

birddog1968 wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:
Neil wrote:

Jim
+1
That is correct...times tons!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 pm

jimbo&rooster is right we do this for the joy of watching dog's work not just shooting birds, so just handle your dog and tease your dad when he misses a shot :twisted:

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 pm

whatsnext wrote:jimbo&rooster is right we do this for the joy of watching dog's work not just shooting birds, so just handle your dog and tease your dad when he misses a shot :twisted:
That's as much fun as watching the dog work! :D

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 pm

For what its worth?..Most dogs understand and will be conditioned to be steady to a thrown bumper.
Last edited by polmaise on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm

I have also read that not sending him on every retrieve can help teach patience/steadiness. Maybe someone with more experience can explain the merits of this approach.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:37 pm

I don't have labs but for pointing dogs, we spend the first season with a buddy doing most of the shooting while I am concentrating on the pup. I am speaking in general, as it depends on how advanced the pup is.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Tempt the larcenous devil. Instead of bumpers, throw 1000 clip wings, some long, some short. Call other dogs names. You should be able to throw and shoot a blank, then loudly call another dog's name and have him sit there. He should only go on HIS name. If he wiggles around, whack him with a heeling stick. Challenge him; that's what he's doing to you.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Tempt the larcenous devil. Instead of bumpers, throw 1000 clip wings, some long, some short. Call other dogs names. You should be able to throw and shoot a blank, then loudly call another dog's name and have him sit there. He should only go on HIS name. If he wiggles around, whack him with a heeling stick. Challenge him; that's what he's doing to you.
I do not think he is ready for all that. In a year perhaps, for now, find ways to help him succeed, no need to tempt beyond his current skill level. Rushing is never good, he needs to be ready by this coming weekend, tether him and train later.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Maybe I missed something; how old is the dog?

The drill I gave you is for a year or older dog. If he's a pup, keep him on a slip lead.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Maybe I missed something; how old is the dog?

The drill I gave you is for a year or older dog. If he's a pup, keep him on a slip lead.
He has 4 days!!!!!

Get real.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Neil wrote:Cheat. All my blinds have a loop to attach a short lead. When in flooded timber I hook them to a tree. If in the open, I take a stake. I take away the opitions.
A buddy uses an EP to retrieve waterfowl with this exact method with great success.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 am

Neil wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Maybe I missed something; how old is the dog?

He has 4 days!!!!!

Get real.
I don't much care if he's got four days or four years; you can begin steadying him anytime. Start him in the yard, continue in the blind. Every time we hunt or train a dog the opportunity exists to advance the dog or to hold him back. The road we choose determines the successfulness of the dog.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:22 am

gonehuntin' wrote: If he wiggles around, whack him with a heeling stick. Challenge him; that's what he's doing to you.
You can make some dogs do many things !
Making any dog Want to do all things is what a good trainer does!
It surprises me how many handlers see it as such a protracted process, when in essence it is quite a simple lesson for the dog to grasp, in that the demarcation lines are clear cut - the dog is steady or it isn't.
I've tried all methods. I've allowed many pups to run-in to retrieve for their first 6 months, but I taught steadiness in one lesson & they would not be allowed to run-in ever again, not successfully, at least.
By the end of a week they would be pretty well rock solid. I've also done the other extreme of never letting my dogs run-in to retrieve using 'positives', & my current dog will be steady if I 'cue' it but will run-in if I don't, but my dogs have always been as keen as mustard, no matter which method I adopted.
Steadiness to flush/Wing is complicated by the need to have ready access to game in some shape or form, but steadiness on the retrieve should be relatively easy to train, considering that the handler is in control of all the variables.

The biggest problem with steadiness is not in training it but in overcoming 'anticipation'. Perhaps this is another reason for some handlers to overdo steadiness training, either by coming down hard on the dog for the least transgression, continually stop/starting it to 'test' its stop response, or for going along the route of picking retrieves up themselves rather than letting the dog go for them all, which can be a big turn off for a dog. My way of countering anticipation is to work the dog through it so it learns it is not an option. I send my dogs for every dummy that I throw, & every retrieve when shooting over them. This keeps them motivated & also acts as a reward for being steady. Perhaps some handlers dwell on steadiness & make too big an issue out of it, when steadiness is essentially all about trusting your dog .
It's just a process! and being steady is part of that process ...for the dog. :wink:
Last edited by polmaise on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Steadye

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:35 am

polmaise wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote: If he wiggles around, whack him with a heeling stick. Challenge him; that's what he's doing to you.
Making any dog Want to do all things is what a good trainer does!
Really? How do you teach a dog to WANT to stop eating birds?

Why would any high power retriever WANT to stay steady?

Why would a retriever WANT to leave a poison bird or a diversion bird?

Why would any pointing dog WANT to not chase a flushed bird?

A dog WANTS to perform these tasks only because of the consequences that occur if he doesn't. They may or may not be severe consequences, but consequences there surely are.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Really? How do you teach a dog to WANT to stop eating birds?
Easy ! put a balloon inside the bird :lol:
The rest of the argumentative questions are answered if you read what is said :wink:

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Really? How do you teach a dog to WANT to stop eating birds?

A dog WANTS to perform these tasks only because of the consequences that occur if he doesn't. They may or may not be severe consequences, but consequences there surely are.
Every point legitimate. But, GH, I'm sure you know by now that Polmaise is not attempting to learn anything. Only to argue, and to consistently distort.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:07 am

I am opposed to the use of a heeling stick to whack a dog!
That may be seen by some as legitimate. It's my personal view however that there is an alternative and I replied with such.
If that is seen as distortion then perhaps those that do have an opaque picture,and here lies the argumentation :)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 am

I don't think steady to dummies is a term that should even be used - I hate when I see it. I don't think that is steadiness - its just basic discipline. Sitting still for a dead, boring dummy doesn't really translate over directly to something appealing like a dead (or clipped) bird. Have you done any bird work with banks? Has he been worked on cold game at all?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:28 am

polmaise wrote:I am opposed to the use of a heeling stick to whack a dog!
" here lies the argumentation :)"
Definitely. I'm extremely opposed to not whacking a dog with a heeling stick. Every well trained dog works through a tremendous amount of desire and a small amount of fear. Without the desire, you have a lump. Without the fear, you have a heathen.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

I'll 'stick' with these two heathens without fear and plenty desire ...steady to 'boot'!! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPvUQVgzTSE

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 am

Well, that was truly astounding. I saw two dogs run out into a field and never return. Fascinating.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:46 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Well, that was truly astounding. I saw two dogs run out into a field and never return. Fascinating.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 am

mtlhdr wrote:I have also read that not sending him on every retrieve can help teach patience/steadiness. Maybe someone with more experience can explain the merits of this approach.
I have used this method, not nearly as much as I should and it shows. We ran a test last weekend and he wasn't hardly steady to save his life. In the two weeks prior to the test, he got every retrieve. Earlier this year, I went to pick up every 2 out of 6or8 birds and he stopped moving. I think this is a great method to use and only intensifies the steadiness. It makes that bird they get to retrieve worth so much more to them if they don't know when they will get it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 am

EvanG wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Really? How do you teach a dog to WANT to stop eating birds?

Every point legitimate. But, GH, I'm sure you know by now that Polmaise is not attempting to learn anything. Only to argue, and to consistently distort.

EvanG
My thoughts exactly!

Charlie

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:28 am

Double Shot Banks wrote: Thinking i will hold him steady when the ducks come in,
I'm sure that will work out just fine Double Shot Banks.
Have a good weekend.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Tempt the larcenous devil. Instead of bumpers, throw 1000 clip wings, some long, some short. Call other dogs names. You should be able to throw and shoot a blank, then loudly call another dog's name and have him sit there. He should only go on HIS name. If he wiggles around, whack him with a heeling stick. Challenge him; that's what he's doing to you.
The above may well be the best example of how NOT to train a dog I have ever read - EVER!!!

I have finished a couple hundred dogs, and have not had to whack one with anything since 1968. '68 is a very signicant date in dog training.

I really don't care what he does to his own dogs, but to give such advice on a public forum is irresponsible.

Neil

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Neil wrote:
The above may well be the best example of how NOT to train a dog I have ever read - EVER!!!

I have finished a couple hundred dogs, and have not had to whack one with anything since 1968. '68 is a very signicant date in dog training.

I really don't care what he does to his own dogs, but to give such advice on a public forum is irresponsible.

Neil
What a load of garbage. There probably isn't a retriever trainer in the country today that doesn't use a heeling stick. You really have to get out more. I doubt you'll find many or any retiever trainers that will agree with the nonsense you post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:40 pm

I use a heeling stick!
Very effectively over the last couple of years gaining information from US trainers and using it as a tool to guide the dog on more definitive straight lines!
But that's just one of many I have used it for, ...jumping over a barbed wire fence is another, ...I could go on.
But I have never ever used it to 'whack' any dog!!!! .....and I would never advocate that anyone whether they are a well known trainer ..or 'yer pal'!!! to do the same. So why not try winding yer neck in?...get aff' yer high horse' then I and possibly others will debate/discuss the merits of ''steady'', for the benefit of the OP and others?
How about it? :)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm

GH,

I suspected I have finished more Field Champions than you have petted ( or whacked).

Today, there is just no need to whack a dog. And to do so is ignorant and brutal, and near criminal to give it as advice.

Sure trainers use a heeling stick, they are just not whacking dogs. And even prior to 1968 were not stupid enough to talk about it.

You can't name one training book written since 1968 that advocates dog whacking. And that is not garbage.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Neil wrote:GH,

I suspected I have finished more Field Champions than you have petted ( or whacked).

Today, there is just no need to whack a dog. And to do so is ignorant and brutal, and near criminal to give it as advice.

Sure trainers use a heeling stick, they are just not whacking dogs. And even prior to 1968 were not stupid enough to talk about it.

You can't name one training book written since 1968 that advocates dog whacking. And that is not garbage.
Perhaps you mis-interpret the "whack", perhaps not. I'm saying give him a crack on the butt if he moves a muscle, not beat him. I've known a lot of retriever trainers over the years from Rex Carr to Mike Lardy and none of them "spared the rod".

My guess is most of your experience is not in retrievers but in spaniels or pointing dogs? That would explain your view. Point is, you're wrong.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:42 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:

Perhaps you mis-interpret the "whack", perhaps not. I'm saying give him a crack on the butt if he moves a muscle, not beat him. I've known a lot of retriever trainers over the years from Rex Carr to Mike Lardy and none of them "spared the rod".

My guess is most of your experience is not in retrievers but in spaniels or pointing dogs? That would explain your view. Point is, you're wrong.
Irrespective of experience or dog knowledge (respectfully) ..that doesn't make You Right!...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

GH,

You should be ashamed of your ignorance.

Look up "Whack" in the dictionary - it is to strike forcefully with intent to harm.

1968 was the year Tri-Tronics introduced the modern e-collar.

Please quote a current trainer that advocates whacking a dog or shut up. You are doing a lot of harm. Well, you would be if anyone were gullible enough to listen to your bad, incomplete advice.

I care.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:19 pm

The kerfluffle is over the word "whack". Based on Gonehuntin's reputation for training dogs successfully - never suggested any kind of abuse in any posts- I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt on what he meant. One of my dogs is a Jack Russell. You can be assured that he gets a "whack - slap with the hand " on the butt when needed.

Last edited by Sharon on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

You should be ashamed of your ignorance.

Look up "Whack" in the dictionary - it is to strike forcefully with intent to harm.

1968 was the year Tri-Tronics introduced the modern e-collar.

Please quote a current trainer that advocates whacking a dog or shut up. You are doing a lot of harm. Well, you would be if anyone were gullible enough to listen to your bad, incomplete advice.

I care.
I have never advocated hurting a dog on any board I'm on. Most people consider a whack to be a shark crack. You do want to sting the dog. That's the purpose. You don't want to abuse the dog.

1968 and the
A-70? Did you ever even train a dog with the A-70? Many dogs couldn't handle it. Compared to
a-70, the heeling stick which WAS INCORPORATED HAND IN HAND WITH THE 70 AS A TRANSITION FROM THE EAR TO THE ECOLLAR, was a piece of fluff. Ear pinch, stick fetch, ecollar, ftp. That was the sequence. Comparing the 70 to a heeling stick is a horrible comparrison.

You insist on taking the Bill Clinton approach:"What does the work is really mean"?

Evan uses the heeling stick. Lardy uses the heeling stick. heck, I don't know of a successful retriever trainer that doesn't!! Bet M.G. may even have on tucked away!

Have you ever trained a competetive retriever, and we're not talking spaniels here.

And I don't think I'm the ignorant one posting here. Look in the mirror.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:37 pm

NO RESPECTED TRAINER IS ADVOCATING WHACKING A DOG!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Sharon wrote:............................................................

The kerfluffle is over the word "whack". Based on Gonehuntin's reputation for training dogs successfully - never suggested any kind of abuse in any posts- I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt on what he meant. One of my dogs is a Jack Russell. You can be assured that he gets a "whack - slap with the hand " on the butt when needed.
On open forum surely one reads what is said by the poster rather than what reputation lies behind them?..after all any one that reads the post can only see what is written?
The 'Whack' has become a crack to a slap?..what next..a pat?.
The 'kerfluffle' is not the term ,nor the word for some perhaps?..more the context in when or why it is used?..Personally I have stated that I use a heeling stick, but not in the situation described....
Going of topic by some is allowed, but only when suits!...so I'll just follow (apologies to the OP) ..but some allow it to develop,and that's the way these things go sometimes?..
It could end quite suddenly?......Or not?...But surely not because someone has 'reputation for training dogs'?...... :(
heck, If that was the case , you would all be believing me for christs sake!!!! :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm

I figured you'd respond to my post. LOL I've watched you jump in to criticize whenever possible . PLease don't swear with the Lord's name.

"..................you would all be believing me for christs sake!!!! ":mrgreen:
polmaise Rank: Senior Hunter Posts: 198Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:08 pmLocation: Scotland

A friend who I know well , and whose posts I have read for many years will definitely get my vote of support when accused of suggesting abuse. He would do the same for me.

Whatever is going on here , has little to do with "whacking".
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Oh dear! :cry:

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Just to clear things up a bit..
It is Banks' first season, he is just over a year old.
I will probably use a tie out stake and a short lead like many of you suggested.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Just to clear things up a bit..
It is Banks' first season, he is just over a year old.
I will probably use a tie out stake and a short lead like many of you suggested.
Thanks,
Isaac and Banks
He will do fine, enjoy.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Neil wrote:NO RESPECTED TRAINER IS ADVOCATING WHACKING A DOG!
REALLY?

Perhaps you should watch Judy Aycock"'s DVD. Or Danny Farmer. Or Mike Lardy. Watch what they do with a heeling stick then come back and talk to me.

Don't know where you've kept yourself for the last 40 years but it sue ain't around any retriever trainers.

By the way, this thread IS about a retriever.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I have whacked more than one dog with a healing stick when called for and it was no where near abuse or brutal. I think some are misunderstanding what is meant by the word "whack", as it is being used in this thread and I am not even a retreiver man.

Charlie

Wendy M

Post by Wendy M » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 am

Hold on! If a dog has been conditioned to "pressure" to compell him to GO! on a retrieve (which may or may not come from a "whack" from a heeling stick) then the dog should understand that a "Whack" means he did not Go fast enough, but then he also receives a "Whack" when he's to remain steady??? Would a "whack" for not remaining steady not do the opposite of what you intend? Would the dog not interpret the "whack" as "Must move faster next time" not "I must remain steady"?

Not arguing - just asking! :wink:

Wendy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:48 am

Carefully read the above, anyone that thinks it appropriate to sharply strick a year old dog with intent to do harm having only a week to prepare him is as abusive as the poster.

Most of us have come to know Banks, he is not larcenous, is not the devil, and has not chalenged anyone. "Whack" has a specific meaning, tap, nudge, prod, push, are not synonyms. Rather than defend himself against the indefensibly, the poster only needed to retract, saying he misspoke.

It is very hard to give proper advice on any forum, harder with animals, we have an obligation to be succinct or quickly correct errors.

I am done with this, the poster gave poor advice.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:21 am

Wendy M wrote:Hold on! If a dog has been conditioned to "pressure" to compell him to GO! on a retrieve (which may or may not come from a "whack" from a heeling stick) then the dog should understand that a "Whack" means he did not Go fast enough, but then he also receives a "Whack" when he's to remain steady??? Would a "whack" for not remaining steady not do the opposite of what you intend? Would the dog not interpret the "whack" as "Must move faster next time" not "I must remain steady"?

Not arguing - just asking! :wink:

Wendy
No.It's the same as the ecollar. When stimulated the collar may mean sit, go, stop. Same with the heeling stick. Means sit, go, stop. First the dog is trained with the lead and choke collar, then the stick, then the collar. It's a pressure transference.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:49 am

Neil wrote:
Carefully read the above, anyone that thinks it appropriate to sharply strick a year old dog with intent to do harm having only a week to prepare him is as abusive as the poster.
You really have absolutely no clue do you? "sharply stick a year old dog"? Where is that in my quote? A good crack on the rear does wonders to settle a dog down.

He doesn't have a week to prepare the dog, he has the rest of the dog's life and he's behind in the dog's training. If that dog were in a program, he'd be ready to run licensed AKC derbies at his age. He's behind in his training a slight amount. Might as well start doing things correctly now or the dog will NEVER be a trained dog.
Neil wrote:Most of us have come to know Banks, he is not larcenous, is not the devil, and has not chalenged anyone. "Whack" has a specific meaning, tap, nudge, prod, push, are not synonyms. Rather than defend himself against the indefensibly, the poster only needed to retract, saying he misspoke.
Bill Clinton speaketh again. And I thought we were done with him. All dogs are larcenous devils. It's a HUMOROUS REFERENCE. Perhaps you were born without a sense of humor. Probably isn't a retriever trainer alive that hasn't referred to a dog as a "larcenous devil". He challenged the poster when, after being told to sit he didn't and did not sit quietly. That is a command refusal and a direct challenge to his authority.

I did not misspeak. It is good, solid advice and advocated by all top retriever trainers today. That heeling stick they ALL carry is not a cane for the seeing eye. Must be some reason every gun dog supply sells them huh?????

Neil wrote:It is very hard to give proper advice on any forum, harder with animals, we have an obligation to be succinct or quickly correct errors.
And to know what you're speaking of. If you don't have a lot of knowledge on retrievers, don't offer it. You can get any of the good retriever DVD's out there from Judy Aycock showing it's use for indirect pressure to Lardy.
Neil wrote:I am done with this, the poster gave poor advice
This poster, me, gave great, current and valid advice. I would suggest Neil spend time with a retriever trainer and maybe read some of the books on retriever training line the ones by Quinn, Morgan, Wolters (D.L.), or Shoemaker then come back and dine on his words.