Tips for calming a GSP for NA test

dsmtsi

Tips for calming a GSP for NA test

Post by dsmtsi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 am

I've been working with my pup for a few months now getting ready for our NA test. She is a 5 month old GSP and in the past few times out she has started to do something new.

We did tracking training 2 months ago and haven't done much since, just working on pointing and recall. Last weekend I took her to a mock test and we did a track with a rooster. She smelled the feather pile and seemed ready to go. I released her, "dead bird", and she took off to my left. She ran around the people watching the track. After a bit she setteled down and found the sent and had a perfect track.

She also started running huge in the field like 150 yards huge. Once we have a bird encounter she calms down and hunts closer. She has a great recall and I can call her back in but I'm not sure I want to keep doing that untill we find a bird. Any tips for calming her a bit or just let her fly?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Tips for calming a GSP for NA test

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 am

If the recall is good even when birds are in the field... let her fly. Teach a turn signal but don't overuse it.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 am

At the test you will bring her down the track 15 ft or so. If she is not paying attention or seem like she is pulling to go find it, ask the judge to start again.
Let her go once you see she understands and heads off down the trail.

As far as the field goes, let her fly. She only needs to establish point not hold it till you get there. just for a few seconds.

Also don't talk to her too much. Let her work.

Also not sure how you are releasing your pup from the track but if using a slip under the collar, make sure the loose end goes over the top near the dogs head and not the other way so when she pulls forward she does not get slapped in the head by the loose end.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:02 pm

My friend had a Brittany that would just FLY. He used her in trials to win Championships but for tests he would wear her out some first - walking with heavy chains hanging. :) Take the advice above.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:At the test you will bring her down the track 15 ft or so. If she is not paying attention or seem like she is pulling to go find it, ask the judge to start again.
Let her go once you see she understands and heads off down the trail.

As far as the field goes, let her fly. She only needs to establish point not hold it till you get there. just for a few seconds.

Also don't talk to her too much. Let her work.

Also not sure how you are releasing your pup from the track but if using a slip under the collar, make sure the loose end goes over the top near the dogs head and not the other way so when she pulls forward she does not get slapped in the head by the loose end.

I guess I've never walked her down the track, I just always let her go at the pile. That may help her out knowing where to start. I don't think she will have any issues finding the bird just getting her head going down the track right away. The test I watched they let them run awhile so even if she does the same thing I should be okay.

She holds her points pretty good, this last weekend was the first time having birds out side of a launcher. She broke on the last bird but I'm guessing it's beacause she could see it move. So 3 out of the 4 I flushed so I should be good there.

I just use a sort lead and when I get to the pile I undo it and hold on to her collar.

Tanner01

Post by Tanner01 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 pm

When I did the pretest for NA with my GSP she was wound up pretty good. One of the judges recommended that I calm her down before the real test and suggested walking her up and down the hill on test day while waiting for our turn. Definitely helped with her concentration. Make sure you release the dog on the downwind side of the track.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:32 pm

This is about evaluating natural ability...Not about testing a trained dog. Let her roll and leave the ego at home. This is not meant to be offensive, just hopefully some friendly advise to help test your pup's natural instincts.

Good luck
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

dsmtsi wrote: I released her, "dead bird", and she took off to my left. She ran around the people watching the track. After a bit she setteled down and found the sent and had a perfect track.

Any tips for calming her a bit or just let her fly?
In my limited experience, that track would likely get you a 4. When I set my pup on his track with he promptly ran about 50 yards to the right and proceeded to eat goose crap. I was dying. He came back, restarted himself and made a bee-line down the track. He got a 4.

Once you cut your dog loose there is nothing you can do so just let her roll. Unless you're absolutely sure your pup is going to respond, I would suggest you stay quiet unless the judge prompts you. Between events, however, you can do many things to help keep your pup calm. I tried to avoid just standing around with my pup waiting. If your dog is good in its crate, that a good place for her to relax between events. The test day environment is a lot different that most pups are used to.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 am

birddogger wrote:This is about evaluating natural ability...Not about testing a trained dog. Let her roll and leave the ego at home. This is not meant to be offensive, just hopefully some friendly advise to help test your pup's natural instincts.

Good luck
Charlie
I'm not trying to test a trained dog but the judges and I need to see a dog to test. If shes running 150 yards in front of us in cover there won't be much to see. I know after a bit she calms down and I'm just wondering what others do in the same situation, no offense taken

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 pm

A 5 month old is a baby. Let her go and have fun. Valium works great for test days, call your family physician and get a perscription (for you). Later when you are testing for a VC you will be wanting a 150 yard cast @ 59 minutes to seal that 4 in desire.

I would do more tracks, try putting a Luncher at the end of the track and pop a pigeon. Also have someone show you how to make a slip release for the track. Wet her nose as you are stepping up to the start of the track. Look where the bird ended not at your dog. Half or more of the track is a good start. Practice without your dog.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Let her rip! Just do more tracks after shes her mouth a pheasent the light bulb should go off and you will be find. Good luck!

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm

BellaSpinone wrote:A 5 month old is a baby. Let her go and have fun. Valium works great for test days, call your family physician and get a perscription (for you). Later when you are testing for a VC you will be wanting a 150 yard cast @ 59 minutes to seal that 4 in desire.

I would do more tracks, try putting a Luncher at the end of the track and pop a pigeon. Also have someone show you how to make a slip release for the track. Wet her nose as you are stepping up to the start of the track. Look where the bird ended not at your dog. Half or more of the track is a good start. Practice without your dog.

I'm way more worked up then she is, Valium might help! :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 pm

dsmtsi wrote:
BellaSpinone wrote:A 5 month old is a baby. Let her go and have fun. Valium works great for test days, call your family physician and get a perscription (for you). Later when you are testing for a VC you will be wanting a 150 yard cast @ 59 minutes to seal that 4 in desire.

I'm way more worked up then she is, Valium might help! :lol:
You are correct! I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax and have fun (I have been there). It is not that big of a deal. It is good to expose them to birds and water and then just go and see what happens. A pass with a perfect score is great (for our bragging rights) but a lesser prize or a fail doesn't mean you don't have a pup with good potential. There have been many dogs that have failed the NA test and go on to become great dogs and win titles if that is what you are into. Having said that, I am betting your pup does fine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Charlie

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 am

If possible, practicing the test with multiple people and dogs helps a lot, just like the mock test you went to. Pups are easily excitable and lots of people and dogs ups the anty for them......Be calm yourself, dogs feed off of our energy, calm and quiet you will help the dog...
And have fun and don't overthink it too much. When I did my puppy test(german testing), I concentrated really hard on being calm and quiet, minimal to no commands in the field etc. One of the judges asked me on the field search why I wasn't saying anything, he was a apprentice judge. I told him that the dog has the nose and the desire to find the game, and when make a turn while walking she will see me in a moment or two and turn to get in front again....Who am I to try to direct her....the senior judge chuckled and said, we want to see a dog hunt, not a dog handle...there are other parts of testing down the road that deal with this.....the same idea should hold true for you...
Let the dog do its thing, as long as it pays attention to you and your direction and will reliably come back when called then you should be good to go.
A NA test should be about the dogs Natural abilities.....
Oh yeah, and again HAVE FUN....the dog will do what it does, it is one day in the dogs life and nothing more....

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 am

Excellent post!!

Charlie

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 am

Well the field part of our test went great. She hunted hard and had a great search. She bumped her first bird, I could tell she was on the bird but she didn't point it. The rest of the birds (4) were pointed, only one bird didn't fly all that well and she caught it. She brought that bird right to me and gave it up so that was good.

Our track was a mess, the conditions weren't bad she was just to amped up. I tired for a while to get her started on the track and she just wanted to go go go. Once I did let her go she just started a search. Found a diffrent fether pile pointed it and tracked that one. :oops:

Water wasn't an issue she loves bumpers!

We got all 4's but a 1 in track and 3 in cooperation beacuse of the track. We will try again sometime, I've seen her track and know she can do it.

Over all I had a blast and I really like playing the dog games, now it's time to hunt!