Training my weim to pee indoors in a kiddy pool.

kibafang90

Training my weim to pee indoors in a kiddy pool.

Post by kibafang90 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Help.
Got a sick old, HIGHLY, outdoor, potty trained weim, who wont be getting better any time soon.
I need to get her to potty every hour or so.
I'm not always home. I go to work to pay off her vet bills.

I'm thinking about buying a kiddy pool. Filling it with dirt. Teaching her to pee in it.
Then bringing it indoors, in my basement. So she can pee throughout the day when she pleases.

Either i do this, or build an outdoor kennel run for her..
Shes not the type to be kenneled. And i really don't trust kenneling her while i'm not home.
Animals could get her, or worse, kids could get bitten by her or something. You never know what could happen.

Anybody else every piddle pad train a 13 year old housebroken dog?
Do you think this will work?
I'm scared to go at it without proper advice first.

Here she is.
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training my weim to pee indoors in a kiddy pool.

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

That would be a challenge. I assume she is piiddling in the house? There are meds that help that in an old spayed female ( dog). What about a dog door to a fenced area?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Your kiddie pool idea might work, but I wouldn't put dirt in it. That would make clean up and odor control a nightmare. Try the pelleted pine horse stall bedding in the pool. You can get it at TSC etc.

How finished is your basement? I used to kennel-sit for 27 wiener dogs and the old ones lived in a semi finished basement where there was a drain in the concrete floor. The owners set up an ex pen for the dogs to stay in, around the drain so the urine could drain down, and when they got home from work they rinsed the floor with a nice-smelling disinfectant.

Good luck with your old gal.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 pm

shags wrote:How finished is your basement? I used to kennel-sit for 27 wiener dogs and the old ones lived in a semi finished basement where there was a drain in the concrete floor. The owners set up an ex pen for the dogs to stay in, around the drain so the urine could drain down, and when they got home from work they rinsed the floor with a nice-smelling disinfectant.
I'd never do this!!! I've remodeled several houses where dogs have urinated on the basement concrete floor...very tough to get the odor out. I had to spend several hundred dollars to get rid of the smell from a few spots. Maybe my nose is a little sensitive, but a dog needs to pee outside or somewhere it can be contained...of course this is IMO. :D

Nitrex

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Good heads up before something bad happened! :D

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for the quick replies!

The dog cant take meds for this issue. Incontinence is irreverent here...
The dog needs to be encouraged to urinate at least every hour due to medical reasons. The more i get her to urinate, the better.

My weim is extensively house trained.. who would not pee in the house willingly, even if left for 24+ hours. She would just hold it in and be sick.
She will refuse urinate or defecate on ANYTHING but grass. Even if it meant holding it for days.

I c ant afford a nanny just to stay with my dog and let her out to encourage peeing while i'm at work.
There is no way i can have her outside every hour or so to encourage urination, while i'm at work.

So i thought up training my dog to pee in a kiddy pool that i filled with grass, outside.
Then when shes comfortable with going in the pool outside, ill drag is slowly inside.
Over time then i may change the dirt inside the kiddy pool, to something more suiting. Like shavings or pet bedding.

I live in this basement. It is partially finished. I don't want her urinating all over. She needs to be going inside the kiddy pool. And in the kiddy pool only.
This is why i mm asking for advice.

I CANNOT have a dog that will urinate all over. I rent, not own.

My question is...
Has anybody ever successfully done this?
Will i end up just successfully ruining my housebroken dog?

Dog door is not an option. i rent.
AND the dog is old. Who says she wont go outside and be attacked by an animal while i'm not watching?

Fence is not an option. Neither is kenneling. Not only can a child come and harass/poison my dog, but she could bite fingers poking through a kennel or fence.

I need a RELIABLE solution.

Thanks. I really need help with this one!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 am

My Buster dog: since he was neutered at 9 years old, was leaking. He now takes Pronin every morning and night: For the most part it helps him hold it. But he does go out a lot. Otherwise healthy except for diverticulitis. Which is real pain in the butt.

I can not see your video. Why can 't she go outside? Is she in pain?

I feel for you.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

Ok I got it now. Dog must go often and will only go on grass. Problem can not be fixed with meds. you rent so.....

Try your idea . It can't hurt and I hope it works for you.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Sharon wrote:Ok I got it now. Dog must go often and will only go on grass. Problem can not be fixed with meds. you rent so.....

Try your idea . It can't hurt and I hope it works for you.
Ill document and keep you guys updated.
That way if anybody else is ever in my shoes, there will be some sort of "history".... of indoor "piddle pad training" a housebroken dog.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:38 pm

You said you plan to fill the pool with dirt and grass. As in, grass that is growing? For it to grow, or start to grow, you'll need to water it. And if you water it, you'll need drain holes. And the pee will leak through the drain holes.

I'm thinking your pool will turn into a stinking mess pretty rapidly. There won't be any rain or wind, or earth organisms, to help dissipate and break down the stuff. You'd need to change it every two or three days, at least. You'd need multiple pools, rotating them, so that you can keep new grass growing in clean dirt.

You're worried about the dog biting a child through kennel fencing? Maybe just line the bottom two-thirds of the kennel with some netting or wire cloth that won't let fingers or mouths pass through?

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Instead of dirt you might consider pellets, either wood or alfalfa. Cleaner, and easy to scoop clean.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm

:roll: :roll: . Sorry, but this is ridiculous! Being attacked by animals?...Biting children?...Being poisened? Again, :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 pm

birddogger wrote::roll: :roll: . Sorry, but this is ridiculous! Being attacked by animals?...Biting children?...Being poisened? Again, :roll:

Charlie
I agree 100 %. In addition, she's old. Are you sure it is not in the dog's BEST interest to not simply end it for her? That's a big advantage dog's have over us when they have a consciencious owner.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:37 pm

birddogger wrote::roll: :roll: . Sorry, but this is ridiculous! Being attacked by animals?...Biting children?...Being poisened? Again, :roll:

Charlie
Let me get this straight...

You find the possibility of an unattended dog being poisoned by punks, attacked by rabid animals, harassed/stolen by punks ":roll: :roll: ridiculous"?

You never heard of how teens, and even adults, have tied dogs to the back of the truck, then floored it down the road?
You hear about that german shepherd in my area that had fireworks put in its mouth, taped shut, then the fireworks lit? He lived after major surgery.
How about the fact that tons of punks find/steal dogs. And use them to train their fighting dog? They oftenly muzzle them, or break their teeth out, so they cant defend themselves first.
Never heard of a dog, young or old, being attacked by multiple coyotes?

I don't find me looking after my aging bird dog to be ridiculous.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:59 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:

Charlie
I agree 100 %. In addition, she's old. Are you sure it is not in the dog's BEST interest to not simply end it for her? That's a big advantage dog's have over us when they have a consciencious owner.
Shes getting up there! :) Seems like everybody is getting older!

But that has nothing to do with her urinary issues. These happen to dogs of any age.

My vet is amazed at how insanely active she is compared to the younger dogs. And how great a dog her age can look when kept conditioned.

Poor girl is feeling age to her, and is sick with this nonsense! She doesn't understand why i keep forcing her to pee, pee, pee. :lol:
But hey, its the vets orders! And it may be quite some time till shes better. :(

I do find it a bit rude, the way you suggested putting my dog to sleep. Not THAT you suggested it.... but the WAY you said it....
Maybe i'm taking it wrong? Or reading it wrong?
I don't know... but for some reason, for me, the issue of when to put your animal down is almost a private matter. To be addressed privately, and respectively. With somebody who fully understand all of the situation. And has been with you, to access the situation properly.
Definitely not somebody you have never met in real life, nor even directly talked to, online, on a forum you joined 24 hours ago.
Maybe that's just me, and i'm a strange one?

I appreciate you looking out for my dog's best interests though! Thank you!

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:05 am

KwikIrish wrote:Instead of dirt you might consider pellets, either wood or alfalfa. Cleaner, and easy to scoop clean.
Pellets are a great idea.
Prob pick some up at the stables down the street.
Wonder if cedar chips would be okay?
Never really been in this situation before..

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:10 am

Well, i think i've got all the advice and opinions i'm gunna get here!
Thanks for the help everybody! <3

Ill keep you all updated!
But i don't think ill be posting on this thread anymore.
Unless somebody wants to throw down some more advice on the matter of "training my housebroken dog to use in indoor bathroom area".

You can always private message me, or email me, or call me, if you have any more concerns or questions about OTHER matters.
Thanks again!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 am

http://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Park-Indo ... B002ZHRTAK

might have to get a couple to make it weim sized??????
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:26 pm

It might help others to explain exactly how you make a dog pee every hour.....were it a male, I would suggest putting a tire in the wading pool.

As it is, a pool full of urine-soaked dirt might soon become rather objectionable to a landlord and other tenants or relatives.
Just a thought.