Best E-Collar for the buck

jbwardfamily

Best E-Collar for the buck

Post by jbwardfamily » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for responding to my last E-Collar post. I am sold. Now, which one of the many collar sets are the best bang for the buck? I would prefer not to spend more than $250. Also, I won't need one for a few months. I have seen that 5 months is the right time to start introducing the collar after the lead/check cord is used.

41magsnub

Re: Best E-Collar for the buck

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:29 pm

A Garmin Delta or Delta Sport would be a good choice and in your price range.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-delta-sport.html

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-delta.html

I have a Delta that I bought to use for both daily walks and as a 2nd collar for around the waist while doing whoa training. No complaints. The battery life is very good. Out hunting, I use a Garmin Alpha as the GPS functionality is very helpful. The grass is so tall that it is nearly impossible to keep track of the dogs. If it wasn't for wanting the GPS features, I'd use the Delta for everything.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Buy your second ecollar first, and save yourself time, hassle, frustration, and money. Paying more now will pay back dividends in performance and you won't be looking to buy a replacement when your cheap one craps out on you.

There are several popular reputable brands. I prefer Tri Tronics for their reliability and customer service. As mentioned, they've gone in with Garmin and have a unit that combines an ecollar with a GPS system which might be something to think about. TT has a big variety of collars so you can choose what suits you.

Christmas is right around the corner, so you might want to start dropping hints to whoever loves ya most :lol: :lol: That way you'll have a really nice unit just about the time your pup can use it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I think you'll find that every brand has their admirer's. Most name brand's work as indicated but every company let's loose a bad one now and then. TT/Garmin, Dogtra and DT systems is where I would confine my search. I looked at that Garmin mentioned above, pretty slick looking. I'd try anything with Garmin/TT, dogtra or DT written on i. Something does go wrong, they will take care of you.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:07 pm

If price is a concern, you can sometimes find a really good collar for a very reasonable price on ebay. My latest collar is a two dog dt system that appears to have only had one of the collars used on a dog. I gave the same price two years ago for what it would have cost me to replace the transmitter (I lost it) on my old collar.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:13 pm

TT

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 pm

shags wrote:Buy your second ecollar first, and save yourself time, hassle, frustration, and money. Paying more now will pay back dividends in performance and you won't be looking to buy a replacement when your cheap one craps out on you.

There are several popular reputable brands. I prefer Tri Tronics for their reliability and customer service. As mentioned, they've gone in with Garmin and have a unit that combines an ecollar with a GPS system which might be something to think about. TT has a big variety of collars so you can choose what suits you.

Christmas is right around the corner, so you might want to start dropping hints to whoever loves ya most :lol: :lol: That way you'll have a really nice unit just about the time your pup can use it.
The Alpha is 4x what he's wanting to spend. His price range gives an number of quality options.
DonF wrote:I think you'll find that every brand has their admirer's. Most name brand's work as indicated but every company let's loose a bad one now and then. TT/Garmin, Dogtra and DT systems is where I would confine my search. I looked at that Garmin mentioned above, pretty slick looking. I'd try anything with Garmin/TT, dogtra or DT written on i. Something does go wrong, they will take care of you.
I agree with the above. I've had several TT units and no complaints. Any of the name brands make quality units, and all three occasionally let a dud through and do their best to make whoever gets that dud happy.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:44 am

Check out the collar clinic site
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Sportdog! Had less probems with this collar than my Dogtra which was twice as much. And customer service is awesome>

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Neil wrote:TT
Any model with a tube-style transmitter. Will it be cheapest? No. Will it be worth it? Yes it will...in cost as well as performance.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Tri Tronics
as for price I personally would save up more money .. I miss the tri tronics sport basic. I just got the delta sport and it is ok for the trained dog where you do not need to jump around on intensity levels as quick as possible so far I am not thrilled with the use of it for real training purposes (I use the Rick and Ronnie Smith as the base of my training Method) but other features it offers are nice like the being able to also use it as a bark collar so for the basic hunting and companion dog it is basic collar that can suffice

If you want more out of a collar for training purposes my Go to Collar is the Pro 100 fits in the hand better can get to the right buttons right away and can get dialed to what I want much quicker with less having to take my eyes off the dog.

All depends on what you want and need
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 pm

I would buy a pro 100 over a cheaper collar you will come out money ahead

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:09 pm

S&J gsp wrote:I would buy a pro 100 over a cheaper collar you will come out money ahead
My Collar of choice also :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 am

kninebirddog wrote:
S&J gsp wrote:I would buy a pro 100 over a cheaper collar you will come out money ahead
My Collar of choice also :mrgreen:

This.......

I went through 4-5 different collars over the last 6-7 years. I bought a TT pro 100 and never looked back.

If price is a big concern I would stay away from EBAY, but you can sometimes find a good deal on reconditioned collars at a fair price at Collar Clinic.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 am

Just bought a sport dog field trainer sd425 and it works great so far (only had it for one day)
$170 at cabelas, i can let you know how it works for me after ive used it more.
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 am

The Collar Clinic will never get my buisness again. They wont stay true to their warranty and cant seem to fix a collar no matter how many times its sent in. Fro mnow on all service is done at the manufacturer for me.