A little training with little quail

vartz04

A little training with little quail

Post by vartz04 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:45 pm

I heard bad things about button quail for training but from what I just experienced today I don't think they are all bad.

I don't have a launcher so I put ruger (1-1/2 year old weim) on a check cord just in case.

I just admit I haven't done anything with him involving birds since January so before hunting season started I wanted to make sure he still remembered what to do. I dizzied the 4 birds I got for $5 and planted them. I then brought him out. First one he busted but it flushed quickly and flew a good 20 - 30 yards away before setting back down. 2nd one took off before he even got in the scent cone (like a wild bird) 3rd he held a point and I flushed the bird and the same with the 4th.

Surprisingly he is fairly steady on the flush he will usually take 1-2 hops in the direction of the bird and then stop. All in all I am pleased with how this backyard bred paperless dog is progressing. 10/30 I am taking him on a preserve hunt and I think he will be doing even better than last year. Its great to see his natural ability in action. Although most here would probably be frustrated hunting with a dog like him I enjoy the stress free environment of a dog who is obedient and holds a point most of the time.