Steady to WSF Hunting question

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Steady to WSF Hunting question

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 pm

These days Neil I'm getting old and down to one pooch, a DD is the dog of choice since she doubles as my waterfowl dog. She has to do it all and she is deadly as heck at it. About 10 years back I was running a pair of setters that were like lightening bolts. They pinned birds hard but sometimes at 300 yards. By the time I got there, the pheasant's weren't there. :lol: The one, Taz, was a great animal. He would never track a bird. When that bird moved, he'd immediately cut a down wind arc and re-pin that bird. He busted quite a few birds but he did it with style! :lol:

The dog I have now pins a lot of birds but a DD is not as exciting as a fast setter or pointer. I've given up the flushers though in my guide service I ran them for years. Pointers are easier for an old guy.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Some phez get stuck alot don't, and a good dog that hunts for the gun will wrangle them to and for the gun.

How do you train a dog to stick a Phez, i'd love to hear.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:02 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Some phez get stuck alot don't, and a good dog that hunts for the gun will wrangle them to and for the gun.

How do you train a dog to stick a Phez, i'd love to hear.
Short answer - proper breeding gets you a bold, confident dog and you avoid doing anything that might deminish it it anyway.

Long answer - I would have to write a book.

I am not telling anyone what type dog to hunt, that is up to you. It is just I have killed a lot of phez on a 600+ yard points, from foot, horseback, and even an ATV. They will hold if they think the dog is a predator, to move is to die.

I have had way more flush out of range from a careful dog that "bleep" foots around.

I am always disapointed when others tell me my way won't work.

To each his own.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm

You said trained to nail them, i was just asking ........

I've hunted plenty of wild phez with savy dogs and some phez just don't stick......I don't believe its bloodlines as much as its experience and development. Smart dog is what i want to hunt behind and have had great results with. BTW im totally with you on not diminishing what a dogs born with, its my rule number one.

What lines are you seeing this type of dog come from?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22 pm

birddog1968 wrote:You said trained to nail them, i was just asking ........

I've hunted plenty of wild phez with savy dogs and some phez just don't stick......I don't believe its bloodlines as much as its experience and development. Smart dog is what i want to hunt behind and have had great results with. BTW im totally with you on not diminishing what a dogs born with, its my rule number one.

What lines are you seeing this type of dog come from?
Horseback All-Age.

And you are right they don't all stick, not for slow plodding dogs nor fast movers, or those in betwen. A limit is 3, I don't need to kill every bird in the country. Dogs that cover a lot of territory will find more birds, I will shoot some of them. But so will hunters with slower dogs, Labs, spaniels, collies, and dogless.

Whatever works.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Gotcha, well you can see what I'm hunting with :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Winchey wrote:I don't do throw down trials so I don't know if it is a no no in those or not. But the dog is allowed to relocate on their own and track in a field trial, they just can't bump a bird and can't relocate on their own once you have already committed to flush.
Much more reasonable. I assume these are wild bird trials.?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Gotcha, well you can see what I'm hunting with :wink:
Well bred dogs.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 am

Sharon wrote:
Winchey wrote:I don't do throw down trials so I don't know if it is a no no in those or not. But the dog is allowed to relocate on their own and track in a field trial, they just can't bump a bird and can't relocate on their own once you have already committed to flush.
Much more reasonable. I assume these are wild bird trials.?
Yes coverdog. Same rules as the other AF stuff. I would really like to try the walking and horseback stuff sometime though. Have nowhere up here to get a dog ready for that stuff though. Will try it someday.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:47 am

I hunted all of my dogs every year since they were old enough to hit the hills.

I also have two CH. placements with the same dog that I let bump/chase flush you name it for his first hunting season. He is now one of the most honest dogs I have ever had.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I hunted all of my dogs every year since they were old enough to hit the hills.

I also have two CH. placements with the same dog that I let bump/chase flush you name it for his first hunting season. He is now one of the most honest dogs I have ever had.
Congratulations, and if he is the one in your avatar he is good looking, too!

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Neil wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:I hunted all of my dogs every year since they were old enough to hit the hills.

Congratulations, and if he is the one in your avatar he is good looking, too!

Nope that is my 3-legged hunting dog that past away two years ago. Great dog!

Here is the one I mentioned, I hunted him on wild chukars for almost two years before I had a pro break him. He now has 2 RU CH's to his credit in his first year of broke dog stakes, and I truly believe the only reason we have been as competitive as we have been is because of the hunting that we do.

Region 9 ASD

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Wow, double Bud (Sir Lancelot) bred, that might of helped some, but I agree you developed him right. Hunting and trialing in your country takes a good one, to win a special one indeed. It is tough territory.