The Spaniel Spot

CDN_Cocker

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am

My boy looking sharp.
jakemarch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Mike Wallace and Salmy Kennel invading Canada for the Canadian Spaniel spring trial season in Ontario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue May 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Here's the boys from Team Flushing Star getting ready for this weekend as well! See ya there!
theboys.jpg
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue May 12, 2015 8:05 pm

Good luck guys!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun May 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Southwest Ontario Open AA Winner
And the Blue goes to Zeta 1st place New pics as soon as they are available

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 18, 2015 5:46 am

Congratulations Gundogguy .!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 am

Fantastic little dog to watch - she deserved the win!
Cass

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 am

polmaise wrote:Congratulations Gundogguy .!
CDN_Cocker wrote:Fantastic little dog to watch - she deserved the win!
Hear, hear! - Aces, gundogguy.

Now how 'bout that Canadian FT debutant, name of Black Mamba?

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am

Well crackerd as Neil Young said... "It's better to burn out than to fade away" lol. Jake was dog #4 Saturday and he started out great, patterning fantastically, covering ground very effectively. Then, just like deja vu from our Wisconsin trial a few weeks back, the dog on the other course flushed a chukar and it was shot on Jake's course. Jake was steady as soon as he heard the shot and watched the bird fall 15 yards in front of him. He sat there as he should have until the other dog came into his course for the retrieve. As the other dog was picking up the bird, Jake ran out to the dog. Luckily the dog already had the bird so he wasn't rewarded with a retrieve but it was frustrating just the same. Jim left in the early hours of Sunday morning due to illness and I scratched Jake for that day as I wasn't comfortable running him on low cover again with my inexperience. I didn't want to put his training backwards by letting him run again and most likely blow up again - an expensive lesson but I think I made the right choice. Going forward I hope to get out with the Central Ontario Spaniel Club a few times and will use those training sessions with others to try and recreate that scenario that was the undoing of the black mamba twice now so I can correct him. Disappointing weekend for me, but just the way she goes I suppose. Next time we will be ready.... for that situation anyways hahahaha. Our club is hosting a trial next month but I think it may be too soon. I think I will just focus on training and then run Jake in the hunt tests we put on in August. I am not really interested in HTs, but I think it would be an excellent learning experience for both Jake and I (me moreso than him). Then set our sights on FT in the fall.
Cass

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 am

Well done Gundogguy ! :D

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon May 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Good craic, Cass - thinking gundogguy will be in assent with your post-mortem on how you handled things after Jim K's sudden situation. Big attaboy for putting Jake into the fray in the first place and sounds like you're rightly proud of the lanky hellion. Also please confirm for those of us on the "exclusive side of the border" - where ESS are up against only ESS in trials and cockers up against only fellow pocket-rockets, that in Canadian FTs, the twain really doth meet. All comers against each other, that is. Were there any of the minor breeds say a Welshie or maybe an American cocker (clue in here, Polmaise) in any of the stakes?

Again, good read thanks for that and if you ask me a good read of your dog, too, in scratching him from the second day.

MG
CDN_Cocker wrote:Well crackerd as Neil Young said... "It's better to burn out than to fade away" lol. Jake was dog #4 Saturday and he started out great, patterning fantastically, covering ground very effectively. Then, just like deja vu from our Wisconsin trial a few weeks back, the dog on the other course flushed a chukar and it was shot on Jake's course. Jake was steady as soon as he heard the shot and watched the bird fall 15 yards in front of him. He sat there as he should have until the other dog came into his course for the retrieve. As the other dog was picking up the bird, Jake ran out to the dog. Luckily the dog already had the bird so he wasn't rewarded with a retrieve but it was frustrating just the same. Jim left in the early hours of Sunday morning due to illness and I scratched Jake for that day as I wasn't comfortable running him on low cover again with my inexperience. I didn't want to put his training backwards by letting him run again and most likely blow up again - an expensive lesson but I think I made the right choice. Going forward I hope to get out with the Central Ontario Spaniel Club a few times and will use those training sessions with others to try and recreate that scenario that was the undoing of the black mamba twice now so I can correct him. Disappointing weekend for me, but just the way she goes I suppose. Next time we will be ready.... for that situation anyways hahahaha. Our club is hosting a trial next month but I think it may be too soon. I think I will just focus on training and then run Jake in the hunt tests we put on in August. I am not really interested in HTs, but I think it would be an excellent learning experience for both Jake and I (me moreso than him). Then set our sights on FT in the fall.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 18, 2015 12:54 pm

crackerd wrote:Were there any of the minor breeds say a Welshie or maybe an American cocker (clue in here, Polmaise) in any of the stakes?
Nay, neither. Well, I did see one that may have been a welshie, its coloring was a bit off a regular liver and white springer. There was a couple there with American cockers on their truck although they were only running the real type lol. There were quite a few english cockers competing - most I have ever seen and they did very well. In particular a female that was 9 years old was definitely top 3 in my books. Fantastic little dog.
Cass

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Strategically ,it is often better to withdraw and re-group before an advance.
:mrgreen:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:15 pm

crackerd wrote:
polmaise wrote:Congratulations Gundogguy .!
CDN_Cocker wrote:Fantastic little dog to watch - she deserved the win!
Hear, hear! - Aces, gundogguy.

Now how 'bout that Canadian FT debutant, name of Black Mamba?

MG
MG you make me laugh! Black Mamba me thinks of a voodoo witch down in the Louisiana bayou. Must be a moniker for rather efficient retriever type. Thank-you for being able to turn such a wonderful phrase, just luv it!
Polmaise your directive of "withdraw and regroup instead of advancement is just priceless instruction Thank-you.
One more trial week end in Canada before Zeta comes home for a restbit and then prep for the autumn 2015 campaign.
As My dear Welsh friend Talbot Radcliff often admonished us lads "Have Fun" and Hie On!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Congrats Gundogguy. Well done!

Cass : Been in that position many times Cass. If anything can go wrong , it will. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue May 19, 2015 5:35 am

Congrats Gundogguy! I hear you've got a nice one there!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue May 19, 2015 1:38 pm

jhorak wrote:Congrats Gundogguy! I hear you've got a nice one there!
JHorak
Zeta is a hottie. Hope to come to Wisconsin this fall when we start running in Amateur stakes.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue May 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Sharon wrote:
Cass : Been in that position many times Cass. If anything can go wrong , it will. :)
True story. I'm not bummed though, Jake is only just 2 years old and both of us still have a lot to learn. All part of the journey.
Cass

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue May 19, 2015 8:06 pm

gundogguy wrote:
jhorak wrote:Congrats Gundogguy! I hear you've got a nice one there!
JHorak
Zeta is a hottie. Hope to come to Wisconsin this fall when we start running in Amateur stakes.
Then maybe our paths will cross. I try to make it to a springer trial or two just to catch up with friends. Might be busy with Cocker trials though!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed May 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Does anyone know the date and location of the next spaniel trial(s) in Minnesota? Thanks!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed May 20, 2015 4:36 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Does anyone know the date and location of the next spaniel trial(s) in Minnesota? Thanks!
The US 2015 spring trial season is over for now
dates are just starting to be published for the Autumn and winter sessions.
More information will com available as we get closer to September.
These are the earliest published trials in Minnesota as of now!

Northern Minnesota English Springer Spaniel Club Sept 12 &13
Minnesota Heartland English Springer Spaniel Club Oct 3 & 4

Exact locations and judges have not been publish yet

http://www.essft.com/alldates.html

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:41 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Does anyone know the date and location of the next spaniel trial(s) in Minnesota? Thanks!
The Minnesota Hunting Spaniel Association has fun trials throughout the summer. Check their website for dates.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed May 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks guys.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun May 24, 2015 5:42 pm

Zeta girl pics another placement in Canada. This time at Central Ontario
3rd place in the Open AA.
Two weeks two placements showing very consistent work throughout the time period.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 25, 2015 5:20 am

Way to go zeta!
Cass

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon May 25, 2015 5:30 am

Great photograph ! It is getting me twitchy for another spaniel ! I've got one booked .....a springer this time. I watched parts of a spaniel test held yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed watching those little muppets "go !"

Bill T.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon May 25, 2015 6:38 am

Trekmoor wrote:Great photograph ! It is getting me twitchy for another spaniel ! I've got one booked .....a springer this time. I watched parts of a spaniel test held yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed watching those little muppets "go !"

Bill T.
Bill that is great news! I was about ready to dump these forums, however if your going to be starting a springer that will lead to some wonderful insights. If may ask who and what blood is your project pup coming from? If you would rather send me a PM on such personal information. Really good to here Trekmoor.
Cheers

Hal

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 am

Hal, I have arranged to have a pup from James Starky of Jarailstar Gundogs. He is a young man .....(by my standards :lol: )....who is doing well as a gundog trainer having had a lab and a springer in the Championships. He seems to be breeding some good stuff and I have met him and watched his dogs several times and liked what I saw.

He heard I might be looking for a springer and offered me a choice .....if I was prepared to wait until after he'd made his choice from the pups he "runs on" for himself. That means any pup I get will be at least 5 months old and may be as much as about 9 months old. I think he is or is going to be, running on 4 pups from two separate litters so I cannot give the exact breeding yet.

An older pup suits me fine. All of my cockers were older pups when I got them and all of them were already experienced rabbit chasers ! :lol: I like pups that hunt like stink and there is nothing quite like a few rabbit hunts and chases for getting a pup to "go !" ........"All" I have to do then is try to stop the pup chasing while retaining the "go."

I have no problems at all with taking a pup from someone I trust after he has made his personal choice. Not if the litter is a well bred one anyway. Even if I had first choice of a pup at 8 weeks old from a litter I could not be sure of choosing the best pup.......as you know it doesn't work like that.

It is very unlikely that I will be trialing the pup . I don't think I could be sure of keeping up with a trial .....it would depend on the ground the trial took place over. Hills just about finish me off as I rediscovered yesterday when I ran my Brittany in a Novice test and then an Open one. She won the Novice losing just 2 points in total in a test that included hunting on a grouse moor and 5 retrieves. I was very pleased with that, she was 12 clear points ahead of her nearest rival. But the test was uphill and knackered me.
She came in 4th in the Open which is better than she'd have done if I was judging her ! She had seen enough of dummies in the Novice ! She isn't really a "dummy" dog , game, game and more game is what throws her switch ! :lol: Anyway , I had time left after the HPR awards were handed out so I went to watch the spaniels do their thing . Their test took place over the same field of broken trees and boglands that I ended up in a run-off for 1st place in a couple of years back with Eddie Scott. We were both running springers , my one belonged to a friend I had trained her for.

My pants snapped at the waist partway through our run-off hunt and I had to try to hold them up while handling the bitch at the same time. The judges thought I 'd had a hernia or a heart attack or sumfin but as I explained what had happened while continuing to try to walk, they and Eddie and me all saw the funny side of this and began laughing as we walked over the boggy ground with my pants doing their best to descend to my knees. Eddie forgot to look where he was going and went into a hole and I laughed all the more. It was bloomin' hilarious .....but Eddie won the run-off. The spectators began laughing too as soon as they found out they hadn't been watching a man having a heart attack ......it is now one of my fondest memories even though I didn't win.

Sorry folks, I wandered a bit off this thread here ! :oops:

Bill T.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:47 am

Bill for the life of me I could not imagine any serious breeder not wanting you to have one of their pups.
Like we say here, "Nice pup, he got pick of the litter in his owner as well"!
Looking forward to updates when they become available.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 27, 2015 5:27 am

Trekmoor wrote: Hills just about finish me off as I rediscovered yesterday when I ran my Brittany in a Novice test and then an Open one. She won the Novice losing just 2 points in total in a test that included hunting on a grouse moor and 5 retrieves. I was very pleased with that, she was 12 clear points ahead of her nearest rival. But the test was uphill and knackered me.
Bill T.
For the life of me I don't know how you managed to win with these line up's :lol: :lol: :wink:
I remember the 'pants dropping scene also ,as I was there that day ! .So glad I don't have any pictures of it too ! :lol:
(Congratulations on the result :wink: )
Last edited by polmaise on Wed May 27, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed May 27, 2015 6:19 am

polmaise wrote:Image
Bill, did you do that send-out thingy with Ned the Clumber, too - or trust Jeremy Clarkson and the lads from Top Gear to kit him out with more horsepower? :wink: (Nah, he had it in him already from your account - sort of surprised you didn't, er, spring for a Clumber of your own.)

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks Robert , I win even with that sort of line up procedure coz I always have been jammy with dogs ! :lol: More accurately, I just do what works and the Brittany bitch in the picture doesn't like being properly and accurately at heel prior to being sent for blinds. She likes to begin in a sort of sprint start position and fortunately she usually goes the right way !

MG..... I hoped to get one of Big Ned's pups but the bitch just does not seem to have pups in her. She has been mated to 3 clumbers now with no result at all. I'd have loved one of Ned's pups, he worked at a level close to a decent springer or cocker and is just about the best natured male dog of any breed I have ever encountered. Everyone that meets him seems to fall in love with him ......even my wife ! She would be much happier with one of Ned's pups than with the springer I hope to get ....or so she says !
I tried to get Ned back for myself a couple of times but his owners mother says she could not do without him.
Big Ned is one of those "once in a lifetime" dogs .....wish it was my lifetime.

I feel a distinct urge to go trialing again . My Brittany is capable of doing well in trials but I'm not capable of doing the walking ! Two well known brit enthusiasts down in England have now offered to take her to trials for me but I would get no satisfaction if she won with another handler. They have also offered to whelp and rear any litter she might have..... I may take them up on that as it would mean the pups tails could be docked. The "fee" would be one of her pups.
She won in the Championship Show ring a week or two ago and my mates are having a great time pretending to be me doing my prance around the ring strut ! I will never live down having been in a show ring. :lol: My wife filmed me in the ring but I managed to wipe the film when she wasn't looking ! 8)

I am in two minds what to do with the springer pup I get. I am not really fit enough to go trialing but if I do my usual thing and take the pup picking-up at driven shoots it will not take long before the pup is as wild as my cockers are ! :roll:

Thanks for posting the pic Robert ..... first time I've seen it.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Cast your eye on this young un 'Gundogguy' .
I know the ground cover this side of the pond may be different with different goals. But the Young lad is just learning for the real thing. I would appreciate . You know I have thick skin , so I don't look for 'nice' for the sake of it :wink: lol
I've been polishing his handling in this one . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgLLaCGYBR4
and Looking to proof his handling on the real deal. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPWI-t ... e=youtu.be

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:47 pm

polmaise wrote:Cast your eye on this young un 'Gundogguy' .
I know the ground cover this side of the pond may be different with different goals. But the Young lad is just learning for the real thing. I would appreciate . You know I have thick skin , so I don't look for 'nice' for the sake of it :wink: lol
I've been polishing his handling in this one . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgLLaCGYBR4
and Looking to proof his handling on the real deal. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPWI-t ... e=youtu.be
Robt
Your spring ground cover is just fine, excellent choice for the work you are doing. He certainly is a hard going dog and he seems to be perfectly stylized for UK conditions. Good sound looking dog as well. Would love to see him on birds. I would wager he would be magic!.
As for the work your doing with very impressive

As for rabbit I'm really the wrong person to ask. As I have stated before, over the last 30 years, only shot couple of bunnies, though training trialing and hunting probable some 50,000 head of pigeons pheasants and partridge over my dogs and clients dogs. My opportunity on feathers is vastly greater than on fur. I would be a poor judge of rabbit dogs. Though I am quite sure that Ted will make a rabbit dog of high standards. Your polishing was spot on and you proofed it well, in the presence of game.

Now add a brace mate and gunfire and you just be off trialing. Thanks for sharing Ted and his video's .

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks,
Not ready for a brace mate yet , he is only 14 month old ,but that will come soon.
As you know we have plenty Rabbits and Hare (ground game) used in competition with spaniels here and also when used in retriever trials to flush for the gun.
The Birds will come soon enough , I've found them easier for the dog when ground game stop to flush has been cemented.
I like the wee guy too ! so that also helps :wink:
Must get you over here again soon :lol:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:34 pm

polmaise wrote:Thanks,
Not ready for a brace mate yet , he is only 14 month old ,but that will come soon.
As you know we have plenty Rabbits and Hare (ground game) used in competition with spaniels here and also when used in retriever trials to flush for the gun.
The Birds will come soon enough , I've found them easier for the dog when ground game stop to flush has been cemented.
I like the wee guy too ! so that also helps :wink:
Must get you over here again soon :lol:
Well in this life one should never say never! and alluring pull of the UK dog world is always in the back of my mine.
Seeing a proper dog work in gorst or brambles, or run in the wood. Or the excitement and tradition of the Champs that is a grand thought.
The whole concept does get talk about around here on many occasions with me wife. One,just never knows!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

polmaise wrote:Cast your eye on this young un 'Gundogguy' .
It's interesting to see the style difference in the UK and U.S. Thanks for sharing.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:36 pm

I didn't know there was a style difference between this countries spaniels and those in the U.S.A until I read one of Keith Erlandsons books some years ago. When I first saw, on this forum I think, a video of a springer competing in a U.S.A. trial I watched and waited for the judges to chuck it O-U-T .....OOT ! :lol: The dogs range was huge compared to what we expect here.

It took me a while to realise that the main difference causing that range was the fact that your trials are conducted mainly on birds while our trials always have the possibility of a rabbit being missed in the trailers and the judges minds. Rabbits and more rabbits are what our trial folk train with and work among as much as possible ......yet most of our trials are held on pheasants !

A pheasant getting up at distance can be shot but a rabbit is more likely to be hidden by ground cover if it is flushed a bit too far out .....so our spaniels are hunted closer than yours are just in case a rabbit is flushed.

Another difference seems to be the flushing of birds that are on the run away from the guns. You want your dogs to get right after the running bird and flush it and so do we but only up to maybe 20 yards or so out in front. If the bird runs further out from the guns than that then the dog is expected to break off pursuit and resume quartering or the handler is expected to make it do that.

Whichever countries "style" of dog work is used the dogs are always fascinating and very exciting to watch.

Bill T.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Good point about the bunnies. I hadn't thought of that (probably because I don't hunt bunnies). I just know that I need more ground coverage because of how sparse the birds are and the vastness of the cover where I hunt.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:40 am

Missing game is an eliminating fault in Spaniel Trials.
Being a young fresh faced boy in the early 1970's during the Miners strike going out with a 410 and only one cartridge with a Springer, I never forgot my Grandma's face when I returned back with an empty game bag and she said 'It will just be potatoes for supper then'' ? :lol:

On more open ground the dogs widen the pattern, well...some young ones widen it in front rather than the side (if you let them) ..

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:18 am

Trekmoor wrote:I didn't know there was a style difference between this countries spaniels and those in the U.S.A until I read one of Keith Erlandsons books some years ago. When I first saw, on this forum I think, a video of a springer competing in a U.S.A. trial I watched and waited for the judges to chuck it O-U-T .....OOT ! :lol: The dogs range was huge compared to what we expect here.

It took me a while to realise that the main difference causing that range was the fact that your trials are conducted mainly on birds while our trials always have the possibility of a rabbit being missed in the trailers and the judges minds. Rabbits and more rabbits are what our trial folk train with and work among as much as possible ......yet most of our trials are held on pheasants !

A pheasant getting up at distance can be shot but a rabbit is more likely to be hidden by ground cover if it is flushed a bit too far out .....so our spaniels are hunted closer than yours are just in case a rabbit is flushed.

Another difference seems to be the flushing of birds that are on the run away from the guns. You want your dogs to get right after the running bird and flush it and so do we but only up to maybe 20 yards or so out in front. If the bird runs further out from the guns than that then the dog is expected to break off pursuit and resume quartering or the handler is expected to make it do that.

Whichever countries "style" of dog work is used the dogs are always fascinating and very exciting to watch.

Bill T.
Excellent observations. For one that has not actually been to a USA trial, you have a great grasp in the fundamental differences in the way Spaniels are run and compete,in the UK and US
Personally I only know a small hand full of people that have seen the UK and American trials. And even those do not understand why the differences exist. Your explanation would help many of them I am sure.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 am

polmaise wrote:Missing game is an eliminating fault in Spaniel Trials.
Being a young fresh faced boy in the early 1970's during the Miners strike going out with a 410 and only one cartridge with a Springer, I never forgot my Grandma's face when I returned back with an empty game bag and she said 'It will just be potatoes for supper then'' ? :lol:
Very similar lessons for me as well. My paternal Grand Father would take my cousin and I pheasant hunting. One gun and one shell between us. Make the shot you got to carry the gun with one shell. Miss the shot give up the gun. I hated not having the the gun to carry!
Probable we also eating the same old potatoes as well. 1968-1970

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:43 am

LoL all this potato talk reminds me of being a kid. My family on both sides is of Irish descent - 2 generations back on one side and 3 on the other. My grandmother was a very severe Irish woman and they must have had it beat into them as children how important potatoes were here. We always had potatoes for dinner, regardless of what else was on the table. I remember having friends over at my grandparents place and she'd make pizza as a treat for us kids... and right beside it on the kitchen table was a pot of potatoes. You couldn't avoid them for supper lol.
Cass

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:11 pm

gundogguy wrote:
polmaise wrote:Missing game is an eliminating fault in Spaniel Trials.
Very similar lessons for me as well. My paternal Grand Father would take my cousin and I pheasant hunting. One gun and one shell between us. Make the shot you got to carry the gun with one shell. Miss the shot give up the gun. I hated not having the the gun to carry!
Probable we also eating the same old potatoes as well. 1968-1970
I keep telling you guys if you were so penurious with the gunpowder, you shoulda been fishing, not hunting - and you also shoulda been

teaching your spaniel the art of pegging (and poaching) from an early age.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 pm

You always make me smile Michael :D

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Like this, Robt.? :mrgreen:

'Specially for Monsieur pomme de terre, Cass...Spaniels are smart enough to dig their own gravy, too!

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:08 pm

crackerd wrote:Like this, Robt.? :mrgreen:

'Specially for Monsieur pomme de terre, Cass...Spaniels are smart enough to dig their own gravy, too!

MG
My grandmother would have paid gold for that dog hahahahaha... although it may be "yukon gold" lol
Cass

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Strewth ! It's getting like that old t.v. programme called ," All Our Yesterday's" on here ! :lol: My earliest recollection of "rabbit hunting" is from about 1952 -53, I used to wait at an open window of a big old wooden hut for a rabbit to peek out from where they lived under the hut ...... I then dropped old bricks to try to brain 'em ! :lol:

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Some have 'Tattie heeds' :lol:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Strewth ! It's getting like that old t.v. programme called ," All Our Yesterday's" on here ! :lol: My earliest recollection of "rabbit hunting" is from about 1952 -53, I used to wait at an open window of a big old wooden hut for a rabbit to peek out from where they lived under the hut ...... I then dropped old bricks to try to brain 'em ! :lol:

Bill T.
Between Bill T and Crackerd I'm going batty, I think the real name of this old TV programme is "The Last of the Summer Wine" or possible "Keeping up Appearances" You know the one with Mrs Bucket in the lead role "Mrs Bouquet" as she would prefer!