When is the litter due ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

CDN_Cocker

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:41 am

So are they cockadors or labrockers?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:07 pm

All mine do 'Close Marking' :wink:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

That lab looks so soft I just want to touch it.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Mind not get too close ! ..It's been through 'Force Hold' :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrcNqBqweg

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 pm

That is a beautiful picture.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:29 am

polmaise wrote:Mind not get too close ! ..It's been through 'Force Hold' :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwrcNqBqweg
+1 Very Good!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Well, was a dismal afternoon so I got out with forum member krakadawn and his young dog for some big water action. We were expecting mainly divers but actually had to stop shooting buffleheads because we had so many greenheads coming in! Great day, great company, great dogs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cass

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:48 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Well, was a dismal afternoon so I got out with forum member krakadawn and his young dog for some big water action. We were expecting mainly divers but actually had to stop shooting buffleheads because we had so many greenheads coming in! Great day, great company, great dogs!
You know, with kraka's tutelage and gundog egalitarianism in letting that ragamuffin of yours share the same boat with his Labs, you might as well be a waterfowling trust fund baby. Hope you're showing the proper appreciation.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:04 pm

crackerd wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Well, was a dismal afternoon so I got out with forum member krakadawn and his young dog for some big water action. We were expecting mainly divers but actually had to stop shooting buffleheads because we had so many greenheads coming in! Great day, great company, great dogs!
You know, with kraka's tutelage and gundog egalitarianism in letting that ragamuffin of yours share the same boat with his Labs, you might as well be a waterfowling trust fund baby. Hope you're showing the proper appreciation.

MG
Cass it doesn't matter what you do you must take the "kick me" sign off you hat. Nice pic of you and Jake, Now I hope your not going to us that Jake had to eye wipe Kraka's dog like your previous outing with the Lab and Toller dog. :D :D :D :D

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Yea tell us 'Cass' ? :wink: :D

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Lol no not the same at all. That "young dog" is a real machine in the duck blind. It was fantastic to hunt with another steady dog and be able to take turns sending them on marks and blinds. Jake did well but even with an extra year under his belt, that pup has retrieved literally thousands more birds than jake in both hunting and training scenarios. Definitely a great day with even better company. Duck hunting the way it was meant to be.

Now.... what's wrong with my under armour hat?
Cass

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 pm

I knew you were a young good-looking guy but I want to see a pic of crackerd. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Sharon wrote:but I want to see a pic of crackerd. :)
No you really don't :wink: .lol

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Sharon wrote:I knew you were a young good-looking guy but I want to see a pic of crackerd. :)
Only if he's got a snow goose in his gob
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Little spaniel news from Ohio, Zeta girl takes a 3rd place finish in a 40+ dog entry. she now needs a 4th place or better to finish her Open Field Championship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Way to go Zeta!
Cass

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Congrats gundogguy and Zeta. 40 dogs? That's a great accomplishment. :)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:56 am

Well done ! :D

Bill T.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:21 am

Congratulations!!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:58 am

gundogguy wrote:Little spaniel news from Ohio, Zeta girl takes a 3rd place finish in a 40+ dog entry. she now needs a 4th place or better to finish her Open Field Championship.
Good stuff! When is your next outing 'Gundogguy' ? Wish you well.
Robert.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:25 am

polmaise wrote:
gundogguy wrote:Little spaniel news from Ohio, Zeta girl takes a 3rd place finish in a 40+ dog entry. she now needs a 4th place or better to finish her Open Field Championship.
Good stuff! When is your next outing 'Gundogguy' ? Wish you well.
Robert.
That was the final weekend for 2015 for us. Will take a break and then prepare for the Spring trials. Though, Zeta had 4 placements this past spring, in crap cover( Like No cover and on crap birds chukars) I may opt out until autumn when we can run in tough cover and on pheasants. Not much of a fan of light pointy dog cover and chukars for spaniel trials.
This was the cover we were in this past week end. Good stuff!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:23 am

Gundogguy, what type of vegetation usually makes up the cover at trials? The picture you shared looks like native prairie grass (maybe big blue stem). Thanks
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:54 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Gundogguy, what type of vegetation usually makes up the cover at trials? The picture you shared looks like native prairie grass (maybe big blue stem). Thanks
There is no usual type of cover from trial to trial. However once one is out on the circuit if one is paying attention you would soon learn that from trial club to trial club you will learn which clubs are doing a better job at securing grounds for Spaniel Trials. Securing grounds is a very involved process. What with all that needs to be considered. Safety,cover composition, terrain, availability of parking, entry on to the courses, by dog and handler, bird planters, Judges, guns and gallery participants. In the photo you are correct it is a new stand of native prairie grass, Switch Grass http://www.stockseed.com/Shop/native-gr ... witchgrass

short video using Switch grass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0lQqzUPpU

A few pics of different grasses on my training grounds

The Switch grass areas and The Brome grass areas have a bit of separation, Brome grass is a very aggressive grass and should not be used in close proximity to Switch grass a warm season slow establishing grass. Switch grass is just wonderful pheasant cover, really test the dogs in both finding and marking, Brome easy peasy marking!
Big Blue tend to clump when it is growing and that is ok But I much prefer the way Switch spreads out

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:36 pm

Gundogguy, thanks for sharing. I am really happy, for multiple reasons, that some clubs are using native grasses.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Gundogguy ' you may recognise a few names for the 'Cocker Championships' being held just up the road from me .
Good luck to them all.
I'll draw attention to N0 3 .. One of 'thee' best Internationally renowned Handler/Trainers of HPR'S :wink:
http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/schedule.htm

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:15 pm

I saw Tom's first cocker about 25 to 30 years ago. Nobody deserves a run in the Champs more than he does. Tom is one of the best "natural" dog trainers I have ever met . He is quite a character. He arrived at one of the HPR Champs just as the dogs were starting off. He'd thought the trial began on the following day. He was rushed into the trial and competed still wearing the clothes he'd worn to drive to the venue .....and he won.

I may be attending this years cocker Champs but only if I think I will be able to do all the walking. I expect the ground will be too hilly for me to manage.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:00 am

'Dunira' is easy going and good viewing Bill .

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:16 pm

polmaise wrote:Gundogguy ' you may recognise a few names for the 'Cocker Championships' being held just up the road from me .
Good luck to them all.
I'll draw attention to N0 3 .. One of 'thee' best Internationally renowned Handler/Trainers of HPR'S :wink:
http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/schedule.htm

Robert, your killing me! Edinbourgh is as far north in Scotland as I have ever been. Heck yes i would loved to come to Comrie. If I could I would carry Bill around the course just so he could observe! If you are able to attend please send back reports, dog work,conditions cover varieties and so on. and maybe a picture or two. You know, just so us poor folks see how the other half gets to live! Merry Christmas
Hal

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks Robert, I was far from certain I could manage the walking as I had to be rescued a couple of months back while competing in an HPR trial on the Scottish hills. I will see how I feel nearer the time.

It seems likely that I will be visited by one of the cocker champs competitors just after the championships . He is picking up a dog from me to take down to England. I might go to the champs just to hand over the dog. Doing that would save him breaking his journey home to come to me.

I'm told only the official camera man may use a cine camera during the Championships ? Does this also apply to ordinary still shot cameras ? If not I will try to take a few photographs but my camera skills are very poor.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Paul French has the 'video' rights .
But still pictures are ok
The ground is good for both spectator and competitor. If You are there I'll give you a 'piggy back' if required ;)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:51 am

With my luck I'd probably get arrested for lewd behaviour in Public !

Here's my cocker Charlie Yabugger to wish you all a Merry Xmas.....

Sorry ....couldn't resist it ! Merry Xmas to all of you.

Bill T.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:56 am

Love the pic Bill! Merry Christmas from Canada!
xmas.jpg
Cass

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:08 pm

christmas.jpg
Merry Christmas to all!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 am

Bringing in the new year with a cold snowy duck hunt on Lake Ontario. Tough hunt and only ended up with 5 but the season ends the 9th so every duck is a good duck.
jan22016.jpg
Cass

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:01 am

polmaise wrote:'Dunira' is easy going and good viewing Bill .
My plans for watching the Championships have been scuppered by my latest medical report. Apparently I'm deid ! :lol: Anyway, I almost certainly will not be able to walk very far not even over "easy going." I will still have to give the pup over to one of the trial competitors though so I will go on the second day to do that ......if I can find out where they are meeting on that day. I've asked but not even the competitors seem to know yet.

I tried making a little film of Edge hunting a couple of weeks back but spent most of my time tripping over clumps of grass or tree roots. I've handed the film(s) over to my son for some much needed editing ......hope he can remove at least the cuss words ! :lol: I'll post it if there is anything at all worth the watching but I don't think there is. The pup enjoyed himself though !

Bill T.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 pm

I made a poor attempt with my phone at recording a training run. I hope that you don't get motion sickness! It was a cold day with a very strong wind from left to right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25tmEZJN6ZQ

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:12 pm

MJB64 wrote:I made a poor attempt with my phone at recording a training run. I hope that you don't get motion sickness! It was a cold day with a very strong wind from left to right.

Mike
Not a bad attempt with a phone!and on the move.
Without prejudice : Since it was a training run for clarification and understanding was the first retrieved bird seen by the dog /shot ,or was this a 'hunt/sweep' to find it ?
The wind looks like 'head on' going by the mic and the grass,so the dog is pulling forward always in to that wind and encouraged (by the mere fact) as you move forward on 'Your line' . (imo)
So after ,the first find and the 'hunt' continues the dog starts to ''double hunt" around the left hand gun (but that's probably the residual scent of the first retrieve,as the line has moved somewhat forward to that area) .So it gets 'sticky' but no direction/handling that I could hear? (could be the wind /quality of sound etc) . The Flush on the second was good to watch,did you or the other guns know it was there or pre-planted?. either way good contact and stop to shot . Nice find after the mark' delivery to hand?, Is the 'Drop it' command something extra?.
Enjoyed watching it thanks.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 pm

polmaise wrote:
MJB64 wrote:I made a poor attempt with my phone at recording a training run. I hope that you don't get motion sickness! It was a cold day with a very strong wind from left to right.

Mike
Not a bad attempt with a phone!and on the move.
Without prejudice : Since it was a training run for clarification and understanding was the first retrieved bird seen by the dog /shot ,or was this a 'hunt/sweep' to find it ?
The wind looks like 'head on' going by the mic and the grass,so the dog is pulling forward always in to that wind and encouraged (by the mere fact) as you move forward on 'Your line' . (imo)
So after ,the first find and the 'hunt' continues the dog starts to ''double hunt" around the left hand gun (but that's probably the residual scent of the first retrieve,as the line has moved somewhat forward to that area) .So it gets 'sticky' but no direction/handling that I could hear? (could be the wind /quality of sound etc) . The Flush on the second was good to watch,did you or the other guns know it was there or pre-planted?. either way good contact and stop to shot . Nice find after the mark' delivery to hand?, Is the 'Drop it' command something extra?.
Enjoyed watching it thanks.
The first retrieve was a clipped wing, and both birds were pre-planted. The wind was a dead on left to right, but with that cover being all snowed-in, he kept wanting to take too big of a bite heading down the field. I like to keep him closer than that without so much turn whistle.
In that area where you refer to as the "double hunt", a pheasant had run all over that area about five minutes before. I would normally have handled him out of there right away, but I just kept recording and hoped he would give it up on his own. Making that little video was like trying to run a dog while wearing handcuffs.
I used to have a problem with him spitting the bird out at my feet, so I have him hold until told to drop.

Mike

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Always love the look of that dog Mike. Looks like he's not just a pretty face either!
Cass

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Have you been working along with the dog Cass?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Nicely done Mike!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:46 pm

MJB64 wrote:
The first retrieve was a clipped wing, and both birds were pre-planted. The wind was a dead on left to right, but with that cover being all snowed-in, he kept wanting to take too big of a bite heading down the field. I like to keep him closer than that without so much turn whistle.
In that area where you refer to as the "double hunt", a pheasant had run all over that area about five minutes before. I would normally have handled him out of there right away, but I just kept recording and hoped he would give it up on his own. Making that little video was like trying to run a dog while wearing handcuffs.
I used to have a problem with him spitting the bird out at my feet, so I have him hold until told to drop.

Mike
If the wind was a dead left to right ,why was the dog going forward and mostly 'down wind' ,ie to the right?..I would have thought most go in to the 'dead right' wind which would have been the Left.
If you ''Like'' to keep him closer why didn't you?
So a pheasant had a poop some time ago in an area ? and you would normally handle him out of there right away'. Hope?
I agree filing and handling are two different ball games :wink:
But it's ok because others have said it's nicely done so that should be just fine.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:08 pm

[Polmaise Quote]
If the wind was a dead left to right ,why was the dog going forward and mostly 'down wind' ,ie to the right?..I would have thought most go in to the 'dead right' wind which would have been the Left.
[/quote]
I'm not sure I'm understanding this ? Robert do you mean the dog should hunt the right hand side first and then always turn into the wind to hunt back towards the handler ?
If the wind is blowing from left to right then in either a spaniel trial or a pointing dog trial I would make my first cast to my right and expect the dog to go a bit right and then run ahead in order to quarter with the wind in it's favour during it's return hunt back towards me. I'd probably then cast it straight out in front of me and since the dog had just covered the ground to the right with it's nose it would then take in fresh ground and hunt back towards me again on my left hand side ......and then I'd move forward to allow fresh ground to be hunted in the same way all over again.

If my left hand side was hunted first the dog would be running out in front and then turning back to me without having the wind in it's favour.
........That's IF I understood the O.P. correctly ?

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:11 pm

Reckon the handler was just moving forward and the dog was 'stravaiging' .

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:22 pm

polmaise wrote:
MJB64 wrote:

Mike
If you ''Like'' to keep him closer why didn't you?
So a pheasant had a poop some time ago in an area ? and you would normally handle him out of there right away'. Hope?
I agree filing and handling are two different ball games :wink:
But it's ok because others have said it's nicely done so that should be just fine.
As far as "keeping him closer why didn't you", as I was trying to keep the dog in the camera frame my anticipation with the turn whistle stunk. I guess that I find it hard to be a handler with no hands. I don't think that I understand you with regards to the wind. Are you saying that you would cast off into the wind to the left?

Mike

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm

My apologies to all concerned ! I should have watched the video before opening my gob ! :oops: After watching the video I think the dog hunted the wind reasonably O.K. but too far out on it's forward casts. Films are deceptive where distance is concerned though so I could be wrong.
Being used to making such long out in front casts meant that the dog was needing a bit too much whistle I.M.O. .....If numerous birds had been running on out in front would the dog have returned before flushing them up out of gunshot range ?

Just my opinion though and that would not count for much in an American trialing situation.

Anyway .....my son is now just about finished editing the film I made over two separate days and a total of only 20 minutes of hunting. I can assure you that my efforts at filming my own pup are terrible ! There is no game in the film I made so the pup is not hunting at anywhere near to his top speed ......but that made him easy to control ......thank goodness ! The film should be ready to post by the weekend if my son extracts his digit so you will get a good chance to rip me to bits ......what goes around comes around !

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Trekmoor wrote:My apologies to all concerned ! I should have watched the video before opening my gob !
I do hope for all concerned that Scottish swear words have been successfully edited :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:43 pm

:lol: So do I ! You must have taught me dozens of very explicit and virulent cuss words ..... I was all sweet and innocent up until then .

P.S. .....Sometimes I tell fibs though ! :lol:

Bill T.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Polmaise wrote:

"But it's ok because others have said it's nicely done so that should be just fine"

I have to admit that I got a laugh from this last line. Classic passive-aggressive from the English guy. :D

Mike