The Spaniel Spot

mnaj_springer

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:26 pm

I didn't see anything concerning with the pattern and/or range. In an open area I, personally, need a bit of range than the trial dogs I've seen from the UK. When game is sparse and not "kept," a pottering dog is a waste, especially in the pheasant fields.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:37 am

MJB64 wrote:Polmaise wrote:

"But it's ok because others have said it's nicely done so that should be just fine"

I have to admit that I got a laugh from this last line. Classic passive-aggressive from the English guy. :D

Mike
:D You just gave me an even better laugh ! :lol: Calling a Scot an "English guy" is a deadly insult ! Wars have been fought for less ! :lol:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:08 am

Mnaj, the big difference between an American spaniel trial and a British one is probably the strong possibility of rabbits in the British trial. If a dog opens out just a bit too much and misses just one rabbit it will be eliminated if the judges see the rabbit and believe it to have been on that dogs beat. This causes handlers to train dogs to quarter closer than they would if pheasants were the only target species.

It has become a bit of a sore point here and a year or two ago the K.C. felt obliged to put out a little warning. Some handlers, quite a lot of them actually, were ignoring the wind direction and training their dogs to hunt always across their feet making very short, tight turns .....it was "windscreen wiper" hunting but it was done regardless of wind direction. The dogs were being deliberately trained to "find with their feet."

Also when rabbits are a target species safety becomes more of an issue. It isn't always safe to fire at a rabbit a dog has flushed maybe 25 yards ahead of you and the chances are you wouldn't even see the flush among cover at even 2/3 of that distance.

Personally, I am a big fan of "rabbit trials" I find them more interesting and more exciting than pheasant trials but there are a couple of drawbacks to rabbit trials.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:22 am

MJB64 wrote:
As far as "keeping him closer why didn't you", as I was trying to keep the dog in the camera frame my anticipation with the turn whistle stunk. I guess that I find it hard to be a handler with no hands. I don't think that I understand you with regards to the wind. Are you saying that you would cast off into the wind to the left?

Mike
:) I agree ! either handle the dog or film.lol Saying that, with a spaniel at the level of yours I would expect my hands would be in my pockets.

I'm saying : I would start the run by casting to the right (downwind) and have the dog continue all the way to 'in front of the gun on the right then turn 'Into' the wind all the way to 'in front' of the gun on the left and as you moved forward the dog to repeat. After all we after the dog hunting and flushing to produce game for them,not its'elf :wink:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 am

polmaise wrote:
MJB64 wrote:
As far as "keeping him closer why didn't you", as I was trying to keep the dog in the camera frame my anticipation with the turn whistle stunk. I guess that I find it hard to be a handler with no hands. I don't think that I understand you with regards to the wind. Are you saying that you would cast off into the wind to the left?

Mike
:) I Saying that, with a spaniel at the level of yours I would expect my hands would be in my pockets.

I'm saying : I would start the run by casting to the right (downwind) and have the dog continue all the way to 'in front of the gun on the right then turn 'Into' the wind all the way to 'in front' of the gun on the left and as you moved forward the dog to repeat. After all we after the dog hunting and flushing to produce game for them,not its'elf :wink:
+1 Thanks for sharing your training session, Mike. Hand handling is very much misunderstood by the spaniel community. It literally becomes a "'monkey see monkey do" activity.
As Polmaise says "My hands would be in my pockets" That where they should be. Once i had a non sporting dog person friend of mind attend a trial i was gunning. She was a very good dog trainer in her own right. At the end of the day i asked what her impressions were. 1st and formost she queried "Do you spaniel types use the Disney classic Fantasia as a training tool, I chuckled and answered No. Then asked why she asked, Her answer was this, Well a very high percentage of of handlers reminded her of the twirling mop and candle stick that danced together in one of the movie scenes. That picture has stuck with me for a very long time, when it comes to handling a spaniel, "less is more"
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 am

I agree too that the hands/arms can be used just a bit too much .....as can the whistle. 30-40 years ago I palled about with some of the Scottish spaniel field trailers. If their dogs were good enough they'd show off with them at trials by "giving it the swank." This meant hunting the dog with the whistle hanging on your chest and not continuously in your mouth and also either walking with your hands in your pockets or walking with them folded behind your back like the Duke of Edinburgh does when he follows his Mrs. about during state visits. The handler seemed to swagger his way up the fields looking like the monarch of all he surveyed.

The dogs had to be so well trained that use of the hands and of the whistle was totally superfluous and seeing a handler doing that when a flush occurred and the dog did it all , including the stop to flush, could be very demoralising to the other competitors at the same time as it impressed the judges.

I hasten to add that I have never managed to reach that standard .....not for long enough to win a trial anyway !

I noticed today that a dedicated springer spaniel trialing and training magazine is due to be on sale sometime this month in Britain . To judge by the little I have seen and heard about it the magazine appears to be a very good one. I have just tried to provide you with the link to it but it seems to have been removed from Facebook ? This was the link .....https://www.facebook.com/The-Trialling- ... 062837490/

Bill T.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:44 am

polmaise wrote:
MJB64 wrote:

Mike
:) I agree ! either handle the dog or film.lol Saying that, with a spaniel at the level of yours I would expect my hands would be in my pockets.

Robert,
I may be misunderstanding this, but it sounds like you are describing running from gun to gun in a crosswind, which sounds like the scenario that Bill T. described here.

Bill T. Wrote:
It has become a bit of a sore point here and a year or two ago the K.C. felt obliged to put out a little warning. Some handlers, quite a lot of them actually, were ignoring the wind direction and training their dogs to hunt always across their feet making very short, tight turns .....it was "windscreen wiper" hunting but it was done regardless of wind direction. The dogs were being deliberately trained to "find with their feet."

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:23 am

MJB64 wrote: Robert,
I may be misunderstanding this,
Mike
I may not be explaining well?
Unlike the short 'window wiper' pattern that Bill explains ,which is so close the handlers feet it almost polishes his shoes the spaniels in that scenario are hardly likely to get a contact flush for the guns and more a flush by the agitation of the ground by all who are there.
In your clip both guns were sufficiently positioned for the dog to hunt and cover 'all' the ground towards your intended 'Plants' ?..which is another drawback of setting up an exercise for the purpose of filming. Can I ask,if you did not know where the planted birds were ,would you do the same as you did in the film,
also do you think the dog would ?
Regards
Robert

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:57 am

polmaise wrote:
MJB64 wrote: Robert,
I may be misunderstanding this,
Mike
I may not be explaining well?
Unlike the short 'window wiper' pattern that Bill explains ,which is so close the handlers feet it almost polishes his shoes the spaniels in that scenario are hardly likely to get a contact flush for the guns and more a flush by the agitation of the ground by all who are there.
In your clip both guns were sufficiently positioned for the dog to hunt and cover 'all' the ground towards your intended 'Plants' ?..which is another drawback of setting up an exercise for the purpose of filming. Can I ask,if you did not know where the planted birds were ,would you do the same as you did in the film,
also do you think the dog would ?
Regards
Robert
Yes, trying to record throws a wrench into everything. If you try it in good cover you can't see the dog, and if you use sparse cover like I did the dog pulls out more. I don't think that the dog did a very good job covering that left side and kept pushing the limit out in front. The handler and the filmmaker did a poor job at both. :( , but you have to show a few warts to get the discussion going. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Mike

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:23 am

In that wind, I'd expect long downwind casts and short "into the wind" casts because the dog's nose can cover that ground (in this case on the left) by using the wind.

Bill T. you make a good point about rabbits. I recently read a nice article that highlighted the differences of rabbit and bird trials. I don't know if Mike takes bunnies, but I don't. I can't get my wife to eat them and I prefer the poultry, so a big running spaniel is advantageous for me and its of no consequence if we miss a rabbit.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

MJB64 wrote:but you have to show a few warts to get the discussion going. Thanks for the input.

Mike

Mike
I agree ,it's how most of us learn :wink: .
Some however choose otherwise :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Are rabbits ever shot in U.S. trials and is there any penalty at all if a dog "misses" a rabbit ?

Bill T.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:09 pm

polmaise wrote:Have you been working along with the dog Cass?
Negative. Mike's a 'Merican.... I'm a northern fellow. Way too much distance between us lol.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Are rabbits ever shot in U.S. trials and is there any penalty at all if a dog "misses" a rabbit ?

Bill T.
I could be wrong but I doubt it. The rules don't mention rabbits (from what I remember) but they specifically mentioned "fully winged" game.

But to be clear, my previous post was not about trials. I referenced my own use of my spaniel as a personal gun dog.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:45 am

delete duplicate
Last edited by gundogguy on Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:47 am

Trekmoor wrote:Are rabbits ever shot in U.S. trials and is there any penalty at all if a dog "misses" a rabbit ?

Bill T.
No sir! No penalty for missing one, however steadiness is required if a rabbit is flushed or bumped. Only game birds that are listed in the Premium for that trial are taken by the guns.
ran a trial in Texas many years ago Me Blaze dog found and flush 2 different coveys of quail. No quail were shot she was steady in both situations. Here first and only contact with in her life with quail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:09 am

My boy turned 3 on Thursday. I have been very fortunate to have such a forgiving pupil. His raw instinct has taught me so much in the past 3 years and I'm sure I will learn so much more in the years to come. Happy birthday Black Dog!
pup2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm sure he has been a great tutor as well as a pupil Cass :wink:
Happy birthday wee black dug .

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:18 pm

polmaise wrote:I'm sure he has been a great tutor as well as a pupil Cass :wink:
Happy birthday wee black dug .
Yes, he's done the majority of the training :wink: I look forward to learning much more from him in the years to come.
Cass

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:14 am

The cocker championships are well underway here and I feel a bit sorry for the competitors. I live about 60 miles away from the venue and it has rained heavily all morning where I live so I suspect it will be raining heavily at the venue too.

I will be going to the trial tomorrow but I don't expect to manage the walking. I took the springer pup out yesterday and had to stop and sit on fallen trees five times in only 600 yards of woodlands hunting. Getting older is a real pain in the arras ! :x

Bill T.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:04 pm

I thought I may share a recent training run with Bridget. For clarification we are working in a slight left to right crossing headwind. The bird was shot quickly since there was a stream directly over the hill and we were trying to keep the dogs out of that. This is a new field for us so my dog for the most part is unfamiliar with running it. Thoughts/critics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL62kVnnm70

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Good job! That was fun to watch.

Mike

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm

chrokeva wrote:I thought I may share a recent training run with Bridget. For clarification we are working in a slight left to right crossing headwind. The bird was shot quickly since there was a stream directly over the hill and we were trying to keep the dogs out of that. This is a new field for us so my dog for the most part is unfamiliar with running it. Thoughts/critics?
She looks fantastic! Great work! Fast, powerful and stylish. My kind of cocker!
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:01 pm

chrokeva wrote:I thought I may share a recent training run with Bridget. For clarification we are working in a slight left to right crossing headwind. The bird was shot quickly since there was a stream directly over the hill and we were trying to keep the dogs out of that. This is a new field for us so my dog for the most part is unfamiliar with running it. Thoughts/critics?
Nice! You and your little dog are coming along! Not sure why you would want to keep the dog out of the stream, but that is your call.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Thank you for the kind words. For the most part I feel good about our progress over the past few months.
Personally I would not have had a problem with her going in the water but alas many in the group worried about various obstacles (drop offs, water, blackberries, etc) so that was that. I normally do not back away from that but when others do I feel that maybe I am risking hurting my dog. Personally I feel that if we are out hunting those are exactly the things we will encounter and I want her to learn to deal with those things but in a group training things are a bit different so there ya go.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:34 am

chrokeva wrote:Thank you for the kind words. For the most part I feel good about our progress over the past few months.
Personally I would not have had a problem with her going in the water but a alas many in the group worried about various obstacles (drop offs, water, blackberries, etc) so that was that. I normally do not back away from that but when others do I feel that maybe I am risking hurting my dog. Personally I feel that if we are out hunting those are exactly the things we will encounter and I want her to learn to deal with those things but in a group training things are a bit different so there ya go.

I have given this some thought and have delayed my response to some extent. I have been a part of the American spaniel group training process for some 35 yrs. I have trained with spaniel groups in some six different states across the country. From Texas to Wisconsin, and Michigan to New York I also believe that group training is one of the reasons that Spaniels, FB Springer and Cockers are training at the level of high standards that they are achieving in the field both as hunting dogs and more importantly as trial dogs. Group activities have pressed the envelop as far as training techniques and in the breeding of better candidates for the work. They are great place for the new and mature spanieler to expand their knowledge base and pass it on their dogs. There can also be the chance of making life long friends that share in the love of our lil spaniels. The group has the ability to become part of a grand culture. This is not say that challenges abound whether the group is one of a positive nature or quite possible a toxic nature.
The key to understanding these challenges is in how a handler approaches a group training session. This approach should first foremost be about where your dog is in it's development and why and how one plans to move the dog to the next level. Once that is solidified in the handlers mind any influences by the activities of the day should not deter the handler from getting the planned work accomplished. Each session should be approached with singular goal, improve pattern work on wind usage,marking, steadiness and so on to many folks try to work to many issues at one time training and develop take time so in mean while do not confuse your dog, besides that is the reason for the group in the first place to help the handler accomplish not hinder. Have fun keep on getting on!

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

gundogguy wrote:
chrokeva wrote:Thank you for the kind words. For the most part I feel good about our progress over the past few months.
Personally I would not have had a problem with her going in the water but a alas many in the group worried about various obstacles (drop offs, water, blackberries, etc) so that was that. I normally do not back away from that but when others do I feel that maybe I am risking hurting my dog. Personally I feel that if we are out hunting those are exactly the things we will encounter and I want her to learn to deal with those things but in a group training things are a bit different so there ya go.

I have given this some thought and have delayed my response to some extent. I have been a part of the American spaniel group training process for some 35 yrs. I have trained with spaniel groups in some six different states across the country. From Texas to Wisconsin, and Michigan to New York I also believe that group training is one of the reasons that Spaniels, FB Springer and Cockers are training at the level of high standards that they are achieving in the field both as hunting dogs and more importantly as trial dogs. Group activities have pressed the envelop as far as training techniques and in the breeding of better candidates for the work. They are great place for the new and mature spanieler to expand their knowledge base and pass it on their dogs. There can also be the chance of making life long friends that share in the love of our lil spaniels. The group has the ability to become part of a grand culture. This is not say that challenges abound whether the group is one of a positive nature or quite possible a toxic nature.
The key to understanding these challenges is in how a handler approaches a group training session. This approach should first foremost be about where your dog is in it's development and why and how one plans to move the dog to the next level. Once that is solidified in the handlers mind any influences by the activities of the day should not deter the handler from getting the planned work accomplished. Each session should be approached with singular goal, improve pattern work on wind usage,marking, steadiness and so on to many folks try to work to many issues at one time training and develop take time so in mean while do not confuse your dog, besides that is the reason for the group in the first place to help the handler accomplish not hinder. Have fun keep on getting on!

I understand what you are saying and do really appreciate my training group as well as forums like this that help promote training spaniels to a high level. If I feel the need to get my dog to work on things that are not covered in group training it is not a problem to go off on my own with my dog and work on these things but having a training group has really proved the most valuable thing I have for moving forward in training my young dog and keeping me pushing forward as well.

Spaniel

Post by Spaniel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:36 am

Has anyone seen this stud dog promotional video of English FTch Buccleuch Pepper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzLrCAU550

First, I was really impressed with the dog handling. I've never seen anything like it. Is this much control of the dog common in the US? Is this an uncommon amount of steadiness and control for any dog (hence the reason he is a field trial champ?)

Spaniel

Post by Spaniel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:30 am

Has anyone seen this video of David Lisett's springer, FTCh Buccleuch Pepper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzLrCAU550

The dog handling and control seems amazing to me. Is that common in British spaniels and the standard they are trained to? Or is it uncommon and amazing and, hence, the reason for the video?

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:26 am

Well nice dog no doubt about it! Is the control unusual?....I really don't think so for a dog at that level. Is this type of control common in the US?...oh yeah most of the better springers trialing here are very controlled and level headed from what I have seen. One thing that stands out to me in the delivery on this dog is not up to what we see in trial dogs here in the US. I am sure others with more experience can add thoughts on this.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Pepper is a very nice dog and a tribute to David Lissett training and breeding program. as far as unusual, spaniels the world over are being trained and handle as you saw in the promotional Video of David's fine stud. Now of course I would have very strong bias toward the Buccleuch spaniels.
Our Zeta girl is out of FC NFC CFC Samly's MasterPiece X FC Buccleuch"s Thistle. Zeta is 1 point away from her FC . And she handles very much what you saw in the video. It was that video that turn me on to the Buccleuch dogs some 5 yrs ago.
There is some style differences and training differences between the dogs being run in the USA and in the UK but basically they are the same dogs being run to high standards.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Probably one of the nicest guys in the dog world 'World wide' .
The Buccleuch is a business of course and the video is 'Promotional' .Never the less the Training that was put in to the dog would surpass any breeding on it's own.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:24 am

polmaise wrote:Probably one of the nicest guys in the dog world 'World wide' .
The Buccleuch is a business of course and the video is 'Promotional' .Never the less the Training that was put in to the dog would surpass any breeding on it's own.
+1 David certainly comes across in his videos that I have as a fine gentleman and a stellar dog man!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:58 am

+2. David is just as nice and as knowledgeable in person as he is on videos. There are training differences between America and Britain and even between differing trainers wanting different things from their dogs here in Britain. For example David once quizzed me about why I'd deliberately let my cocker Charlie catch a partridge and then retrieve it. My reply was that the partridge might have been wounded as it did not get up to fly off as my dog approached it.
David didn't agree with that as a field trailer but said no more about it when I explained that a large part of my spaniels job is "picking-up." I want my dogs to go in for the catch on any bird that fails to fly off quickly enough. This would probably be the kiss of death in any spaniel trial held in Britain, I'd very quickly be eliminated....but it seems to be what you lads want from your trial dogs ?

Having said all that I must admit that my cocker Charlie would do the same thing with an ostrich if it didn't fly off smartish ! :lol:

Bill T.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 am

P.S. to the above. I thought David's dog's delivery was O.K. I cannot say the same for all trial cockers here though. I've seen handlers in the cocker Championships having to snatch birds from their dogs as their dogs were trying to run past them. That shouldn't be happening at that level of competition.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Competition rules no-matter where you compete determine the result.Judges in competition award according to those rules . So over here the Rule book says, ''Deliver tenderly to hand''.
That deliver tenderly is regarding 'soft of mouth' rather than tender and sweet' more like 'Toot sweet' as in fast as you can !..The ethics being in favour of the game to be despatched quickly and humanely by the handler and not the dog .

In the words of Erlandson , 'Those that think a cocker is a miniature springer are severely mistaken '' .
ps. Mr Lissett may well have questioned you Bill,and he is one of the best 'Springer handlers' in these parts for sure.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:18 pm

There is phrase that i think often when training or trialing.."In a more perfect manner" Always conveys to me some of those side lights that can be a distraction from fine dog work.
Did the dog perform "in more perfect manner" is what dog folks of high standards always strive for.
Concerning delivery, it in some cases may be the last opportunity you have to say to the judge..."hey look at me, I did a good job here today" in many cases may be just the frosting on the cake that one needs to put them over the top!

Bill T, catching or pegging birds is not something we like here in the states let me clarify in fact in most cases it lead to quick ride home. If we have left you with that impression I do apologize.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Bill T., pegging birds may or may not be what trialers in the U.S. want... I don't have that knowledge. But what I do know is as a hunter and hunt tester here, I would never be upset if my spaniel pegs a bird. If it's injured, great, we conserved game. If it's not, poor decision on the bird's part.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Bill T., pegging birds may or may not be what trialers in the U.S. want... I don't have that knowledge. But what I do know is as a hunter and hunt tester here, I would never be upset if my spaniel pegs a bird. If it's injured, great, we conserved game. If it's not, poor decision on the bird's part.
That's right usually it is a bird thing, either poor quality of bird or improper planting technique of the bird in the first place. Decisions are made sometimes when the cover on the grounds are sub par which makes planting game efficiently and properly a very tricky proposition.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:05 am

gundogguy wrote: Always conveys to me some of those side lights that can be a distraction from fine dog work.
:D I like that !.
Improbably an old fashioned fuddy duddy,believing the spaniel should flush game for the gun ,sick or not :)

Game birds in heavy rain (which we get fairly frequent) don't flush the same as when they are dry and ones in thick cover have a real problem unseating from their hideaway.

Again in the words of Erlandson ''Generally cockers are not as hard flushers as Springers and most momentarily hesitate before they do'' but then he was not much into competition,never the less one of the best 'dog men' renowned on both sides of the pond.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:21 am

My apologies for getting this wrong. I'd read you like really hard , driving flushes in America and I've seen photographs of American trial spaniels jumping into the air, jaws agape , trying to catch and pull down birds. Doing that would get a dog eliminated in Britain but since I'd seen pics of American trial spaniels doing this I assumed it was just called a "very positive flush !" :lol:

I'm different from Robert (Polmaise) in that if a bird is too sick .....wounded ?.....to take to wing quickly I DO want my dogs to catch it and retrieve it. Roberts thinking is closer to D.Lissets than mine is in this respect.

Bill T.

welsh

Post by welsh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:42 am

A bird that's too fat, stupid, or lazy to fly deserves to be trapped. It should not be necessary to train spaniels to perform interpretive dance routines around birds to encourage them to attempt flight. :)

I think this is one of those areas where subjective interpretation comes into play. There is a bit in the rules about putting the bird up. I forget the wording, but it essentially says that the dog isn't expected to be steady until the bird is actually in flight. So the dog that's reaching up at the bird as it gets away is flushing hard, not chasing, as long as it stops promptly, while to a British judge this would be chasing. (Erlandson made an amusing remark about "alligator jaws" being the American fashion.) Of course there's a fine line there even if you like the alligator jaws: reaching up at the bird is one thing but continuing to move after it is another.

A lot of these grey areas exist. Standards are more subjective than people like to think. Erlandson touched on this point often, griping about the drift in standards that develops as a result of judges who don't know their business (which may mean, "who have subjective standards different from mine").

Delivery is one of those things. I was reading the CKC rules the other day & noted that they actually say the dog has to deliver and then hup, so a judge would be wrong to penalize a dog that did this, i.e. that did what I see in Paul French vids, where the handler takes the bird from the dog as it runs past, whereupon it turns & hups. But I think most judges here would. There is a subjective standard as to what constitutes "proper" delivery.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:29 pm

This one comes across well with the two Top Spaniel handlers of our time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94tJIVxXT5s

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:00 pm

polmaise wrote:This one comes across well with the two Top Spaniel handlers of our time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94tJIVxXT5s
Robert, First rate! Thank-you very much for sharing!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for sharing that Robt.
Cass

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Back from our 4 days spaniel trial and thought I would post a update. The first two days our club hosted a cocker trial followed by a two day springer trial. Lots of fun and also lots of work. Unlike last year we only had a few hours of rain for the cocker trial but the rest of the 4 days were dry and comfortable. The birds flew great and the gunners did a amazing job.
It was a bit disheartening for me to realize how far I have to go on my handling skills but I learned a few lessons that I will remember so I guess that is a good thing. Day one on my first bird my dog flushed a bird out just within gun range and one of the gunners knocked the bird down in what I could only describe as a amazing shot. With me about 15 feet in front of the judge I guess I thought it to be a one man show and without even thinking about waiting for the tap from judge I sent my dog on a beautiful 70 yard+ retrieve in very thick cover. As soon as I did it I realized that I did not wait for the tap but the damage was done. She made a beautiful straight out and back retrieve but the judge excused us due to my big mouth. :( Perhaps a bit harsh but a lesson I will not soon forget.
Day two was much better and I was excited to make it to the third series. Our first bird was a very nice flush and retrieve on the second bird it was another one of those long shots (about 55 yards) in very thick cover. She went straight out to the fall and came back with the/a bird but when I took the bird from her the bird overpowered me and flew out of my hands....haha I was shocked. The judges came back and said "sorry that was not your bird so we need you to send your dog back for the dead bird". She did a admirable job especially considering she was still thinking about the one that flew out of my hands and to the right of the shot bird. I finally got her worked into the area and she picked up the bird and returned it. She ended up taking a 3rd which is not bad considering my runs where starting to look like a episode of the three stooges. I have to admit I am feeling a bit deflated because I realize how sub par my handling is and with as few cocker trials as there are it may take me a very long time for me to get to a point that my dog deserves me to be at. Nevertheless we are considering making a trip to Colorado for a trial in a few weeks for another cocker trial....we will see.
Two cockers at the trial finished there FC with this trial.... Dave Hawkins/Hurry and Paul McGagh/Sizzle both of these dogs took a first place on different days at the trial.
The springer trial was as always amazing to watch with some very nice runs with Kat Brusko/Indy winning the amateur and Paul McGagh/Tui winning the Open.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Well done. Leaving aside a bit of understandable nervous behaviour on your part ,you and your dog did very well.

Bill T.

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:04 am

I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly- you did get a ribbon! Besides, I'd much rather not get a ribbon because of something I did, than for having an inferior dog. You've clearly got an animal that can take you places, and you'll figure out the game fast enough.

I've got a Sizzle pup and was happy to see Sizzle finish up her FC at this trial. There were a number of nice dogs running from what I could tell.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 am

Excellent report chrokeva, and way to hang in there for placement at the next trial. I The caucus was unanimous, you are now the west coast spaniel trial reporter, there is this new invention that you should look into it is called a camera. It takes pictures, pictures are always nice. Good going Lady dog handler. How far is the Colorado trial from You?

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:11 pm

I will definitely check out that new gadget called a camera for future events :).
Colorado is 1200 miles from us. I am thinking I need to get my head checked on this one. Also thinking I need to get a rent-a-springer so I can go to closer events.