The Spaniel Spot

CDN_Cocker

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Looks like I'll be training with the Central Ontario Spaniel Club tomorrow. I'll post an update tomorrow evening!
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:14 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Looks like I'll be training with the Central Ontario Spaniel Club tomorrow. I'll post an update tomorrow evening!
Picture are always nice! COSC would allow your Go-Pro I'm sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:27 pm

I went to a spaniel hunt test today which was a blast, and I brought the pup along (just to socialize). At the end of the day we took some of the dead chukar to train with. She retrieved the bird just fine, although there was some feather pulling and experimenting with how to handle wings. Overall a good day though!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

welsh

Post by welsh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm also dealing with that living in town problem. Fortunately I have a public park behind my house that has some good natural cover, and my neighbours share a general contempt for the leash laws, so I can do some work there as long as it doesn't involve shooting anything.... I have permission on a nice nearby property where I do water work and retrieving drills, and once weekly train on a farm property with a group. (I have the advantage of living much closer to the group than CDN_Cocker does.)

Getting involved with a group always helps, as the group has already done the legwork for you.
CDN_Cocker wrote:Looks like I'll be training with the Central Ontario Spaniel Club tomorrow.
I was driving back from Algonquin today, so I wasn't able to go. Hope you had a good session. At the hunt test last weekend I heard good things about Jake.
Last edited by welsh on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 am

Thanks welsh. Jake did well yesterday. Birds weren't flying well so he trapped the first 2. The second one actually got out of his mouth and took off but one pip on the whistle and he was a rock again and we were able to shoot the bird for him. His last bird was one thrown in over top of him and it was definitely my inexperience that was the issue as I was slow to blow the whistle (I wasn't paying attention to the bird being thrown). He took 3 steps before sitting but did sit so the bird was shot - about a 50 yard retrieve from where he was stopped. I called him back to me since he had moved and then sent him - not expecting a good retrieve but he showed me his memory is pretty sharp, he drove hard straight out and back with the bird proudly in his mouth. He obviously has a ways to go (due to his trainer) but I felt pretty good, I had quite a few people come up to me after and remark on how well he did and how he was a "nice dog to watch". A couple of the older fellows were pretty keen that I should be trialing him so that was hopeful. He is fairly steady, just need to work on his questing and making sure he is getting from gunner to gunner. I was pretty proud that's for sure because he did better than a few other dogs I saw there and it was his debut lol. I will be out with the group again in 2 weeks, can't wait! I think I lucked out with the dog - he's a natural and it was nice to see that he did well compared to other dogs with a lot more training and bird work than he has had. Going forward my focus is going to be on learning all I can as a handler. Even in that one session yesterday I learned a ton of things that I need to work on. Sorry Hal, no pics but maybe when I head there next time I will take the Go Pro!
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Thanks welsh. Even in that one session yesterday I learned a ton of things that I need to work on. Sorry Hal, no pics but maybe when I head there next time I will take the Go Pro!
Aw jeez Marie, what I can say if there are no pictures it must be hear say testimony! :twisted: :twisted:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 am

Roxanne and her Harry dog. Harry takes a runner works out AA retrieve! Saturday 8/24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi-f2cbnCeo

My bad tech challenged
Last edited by gundogguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Change the link Hal ;) you have the 'edit' one posted rather than the 'Watch' :)
I agree however, if Cass has no video it has no verification ;)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:09 pm

LOL you guys are awful. Stay tuned, I'll get one next time I'm out. Hopefully the wheels don't fall off hahahaha
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Cass, out of curiosity, what kind of birds were you using?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:43 pm

I was using pigeons but other members were using chukar and pheasants as well.
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok. Yeah, this weekend we used chukars for the hunt test... Some flushed great, some didn't stand a chance and got pegged.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Ok. Yeah, this weekend we used chukars for the hunt test... Some flushed great, some didn't stand a chance and got pegged.
Unbelievable that clubs would be using chukars in August!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:40 am

gundogguy wrote:Roxanne and her Harry dog. Harry takes a runner works out AA retrieve! Saturday 8/24

My bad tech challenged

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:33 am

Ben and Mya doing their thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg5ZhAIbojs

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 am

One eyed spaniel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh

Post by welsh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 am

You know what they say: in a nation of blind men, the one-eyed spaniel is king.

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:52 am

Great to see all the spaniel folks in one spot. I have a 6 1/2 month old FBECS which is my first gundog and I will definitely keep an eye on this subject so I can hopefully learn something as there are clearly many experienced folks on here.
I can't wait until some spaniel trials start closer to me (California) as I would love to actually see some of these wonderful dogs work in person.
Here is video of my dog Bridget doing some water retrieves on a recent camping trip.....she really does seem to love the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cerco6r ... e=youtu.be

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm

welsh wrote:You know what they say: in a nation of blind men, the one-eyed spaniel is king.
Fortunately I usually hunt in first light or last light. I never got a dog for it's eyes ,it was it's nose that I relied on. The hawk was better equipped for sighting.

welsh

Post by welsh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Actually, I recently saw an article about a blind springer used as a gundog. Did anyone post that here?

I'm thinking it probably doesn't mark well....

gundogguy

Re:

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:48 pm

welsh wrote:Actually, I recently saw an article about a blind springer used as a gundog. Did anyone post that here?

I'm thinking it probably doesn't mark well....
Not sure about eyes but I Have gunned over a 3 legged cocker in trial and at the Master level of testing.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Chrokeva.... That dog is awful and she can't be fixed! Best you send her to me and just get yourself a new dog! :P

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 am

chrokeva wrote:Great to see all the spaniel folks in one spot. I have a 6 1/2 month old FBECS which is my first gundog and I will definitely keep an eye on this subject so I can hopefully learn something as there are clearly many experienced folks on here.
I can't wait until some spaniel trials start closer to me (California) as I would love to actually see some of these wonderful dogs work in person.
Here is video of my dog Bridget doing some water retrieves on a recent camping trip.....she really does seem to love the water.
Your time of the year for trials would be Jan-march. At least try to go to the Springer trials, unless there is a big change in the schedule there will no Cocker trials in California this year.

http://www.fieldcockers.com/events2014.html
http://www.essft.com/alldates.html

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 am

Action from the Euclid Cocker trial. From the shaggers point of view.
Some the work the little dog did to roll in with a 2nd place finish. An honor, produce a runner and made his retrieve. This was Smoke's 3rd trial over the last 2 years.
Judge Dan Proctor from Canada.
This past weekend saw 3 trials held Fri Sat Sunday, under tough conditions Hot Temps. Smoke was one two dogs that finished all 3 trials running 9 series in total

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49dojGO1Src

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Some of you may be interested to know that the British K.C. has very recently issued a directive to spaniel field trial judges instructing them to follow the rule book or what we call the "J regs." a bit more closely. It was thought that individual and sometimes very influential judges were doing a bit too much individual interpretation of the hunting in spaniel trials.

This applies particularly I think, to how far from the handler a dog should be allowed to range out and to the unfortunately fairly common practice of disregarding the winds direction and insisting upon a windscreen wiper pattern that has a forward bite of only a few feet per cast to either side. 30 plus years ago this was scathingly called "finding with your feet." .... Meaning the dog was going to kick the game up even if it could not scent it.

This "method" won trials and so more handlers began to train their dogs in this way. Those handlers also won trials and some of them became today's judges.
I am very pleased to see the K.C. has at last taken action about this , it should have been done years ago.

A few years ago I was told by people with far more spaniel experience than I have that 5 -10 yards out from the handler was all I should be allowing during my dogs training. I disregarded this well meant advice and trained for about 15 - 20 yards per side and a larger forward bite into the wind. I felt that my dogs might "miss" a few head of game while doing this but taken overall they would find more game. Maybe "boot polishing" spaniels will begin to fade out now ..... I hope so.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Good info Bill

I prefer a spaniel 15 yards in front and 20 on each side (working into the wind). Just personal preference.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:22 am

Trekmoor wrote:Some of you may be interested to know that the British K.C. has very recently issued a directive to spaniel field trial judges instructing them to follow the rule

A few years ago I was told by people with far more spaniel experience than I have that 5 -10 yards out from the handler was all I should be allowing during my dogs training. I disregarded this well meant advice and trained for about 15 - 20 yards per side and a larger forward bite into the wind. I felt that my dogs might "miss" a few head of game while doing this but taken overall they would find more game. Maybe "boot polishing" spaniels will begin to fade out now ..... I hope so.

Bill T.
Your "boot polisher" and our "boot lickers" should not stand a chance at placement in trials. I do not believe our "J. Regs or Green book" has any mention of yardage when discussing range. Though the well conditioned spaniel should adjust range with the cover in which it is running. Lighter open cover should produce a bigger running dog heavier denser cover dog should shorten up as required with the use of wind being the deciding factor of the dogs efficiency in finding birds

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:45 am

The seasons are all about to begin be well stocked with ammo there be shortages of your favorite loads

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a question regarding my 7 month old FBECS and figure this would be a good place to ask it. She is my first gundog so it seems I am second guessing myself on everything I do or consider doing with her. Grouse and quail season is going to start here in the next few weeks and I am wondering if I would be causing more harm than good by allowing her to go out and hunt this season? At this point she is line steady but not steady to flush or shot. So would it be better to hold off on letting her hunt all together until she is completely steady or could I hunt her this season and figure on steadying her in time for next season without too much of an issue? Also there are many opportunities for duck hunting in my area but that is not for a few more months so the same question goes for duck hunting...can she possibly duck hunt this season without causing too many issues in the future?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:15 pm

I hunted my guy last fall at 9 months before he was fully steady. I did however use my e-collar to enforce sitting to the flush. Was it optimal? Probably not. However my main reason for getting him was to have a hunting partner and he has proven to be a great one. We both learned a lot last fall and I have some awesome memories. I don't know if I would do the same with my next cocker, but then again, I don't know if I'd change a thing either. Duck hunting I avoided as he was very high strung at that age and it was not reasonable to expect him to sit quietly and patiently for ducks. We will be attempting that this year now the he is almost 2 years old and can handle sitting still for longer than 2 seconds.
Cass

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:21 pm

So I do not have her on a e-collar yet and it has been suggested by a trainer that it would be wise to send her in for a few weeks to be collar conditioned if I am going to use one. Yeah I am a bit worried about the sitting still thing too. Plus the added stress that we will probably need to have her retrieving from the boat and as of yet although she is very familiar with being on the boat she has not retrieved from it yet.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Also keep in mind gunfire from duck hunting is completely different than hunting grouse and woodcock. There is a lot more of it and the guns are generally right over top of the dog. Could be overwhelming to a dog who hasn't hunted before.
Cass

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 pm

True...sounds like waiting a extra season may be a wise thing for me to do.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:12 pm

My probably falls in line with Cass'. I took will hunt with a young unsteady dog because I have a dog to go hunting with. The dog's age and personality dictates how much pressure I put on them and how serious the hunting is. My pup is 6 months now and we're going to go "hunting" this week. Just a little walk in the woods with few expectations, and the hope to build bird drive.

Duck hunting, especially from a boat, is a different story. Lots of shots fired and unsteady footing can be tough on a young dog.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

chrokeva wrote:True...sounds like waiting a extra season may be a wise thing for me to do.
Now your getting it. The business is really about delayed gratification. And I'm referring to humans gratification that they have a dog that will bring them pleasure for years to come if only we do the training that they deserve first!

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for bringing me back to earth :)
Next year is plenty early and I have lots of training left to do.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Having fun with the training of this young un at 11 month old 'Gundogguy'. :wink: A bit to go yet,but it should be in it's first trial by xmas .Just have to bring the handler up to speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCJ7JW ... e=youtu.be

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 pm

polmaise wrote:Having fun with the training of this young un at 11 month old 'Gundogguy'. :wink: A bit to go yet,but it should be in it's first trial by xmas .Just have to bring the handler up to speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCJ7JW ... e=youtu.be
Excellent, she goes like a train. She could run here ship her over right now and we have her in a trial every weekend she wants to run! With Autumn / and then spring circuit we never have worry about getting a run with a good dog. Nice Video production content for sure!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Just received word from the Eastern trial circuit me Zeta girls finishes her 1st trial and picks off a 3rd place finish against 37 Open all age entry's.
Under the handle of Mike Wallace Salmy's Kennel

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:43 am

Nice work Hal. She looks bagged hahaha. I've unfortunately got my sights set on Spring trials now. New project with work came up and I've been working too much to focus the time needed. On top of that I have to go to Italy next month for it which is when all the trials I wanted to run are. I was planning on running a puppy stake or 2 for the experience since Jake will be 2 in January. Looks like I will have to refocus that energy into brace work and play in the big leagues next spring. Frustrating for sure, but I guess he'll be just that much more ready.
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Any Spaniel folks been out hunting yet?! I'd love to hear about it, and pics are even better yet!

Still too much foliage here in MN to be successful. I've been spending this time working on obedience and line steadying my pup.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:32 pm

chrokeva, what kennel did you get your cocker from? congrats btw on being a fbec owner!

chrokeva

Post by chrokeva » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome uplandjim....enjoying every moment with this little cocker. I got her from John Hayes in Vermont (Kirby Mountain).....great guy and well just a lovely little dog. Starting more formal training now and I am looking forward to seeing how things go with her.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Any Spaniel folks been out hunting yet?! I'd love to hear about it, and pics are even better yet!

Still too much foliage here in MN to be successful. I've been spending this time working on obedience and line steadying my pup.
Grouse, woodcock, and waterfowl opens tomorrow here... Way too warm for me though, I'll be waiting till next weekend!
Cass

welsh

Post by welsh » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:23 am

Yes, too warm. No frigging wind, either, which makes it hard ... took the dog through a popular public area the day after the opener. Nobody there. Yomped through the bush for about five hours looking for the birds that the crowds scattered yesterday, and found one, which didn't offer a shot. The foliage is pretty thick and a lot of the areas I like to hunt are still too thick to hunt. I put a lot of miles on the boots.

Then walked dejectedly back to the van. About 200 yards from the parking lot, going down the edge of an alfalfa field on the downwind side of the faintest breeze imaginable, the dog took a sudden left turn and about 20 minutes later....

She seems kinda embarrassed by the whole deal, trying to slink out of the picture. Must be a teenager or something.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Well done Welsh! Nice to know others hunt the same way... Lots of miles on public land! Duck season opened up here today. The first spot I stopped by had 15 trucks parked within a quarter mile of each other. So it was on to the next!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:23 pm

A little training day on live game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgQDUn ... e=youtu.be

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm

polmaise wrote:A little training day on live game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgQDUn ... e=youtu.be
That felt so good I was almost there with you. Thanks very much for posting!.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 pm

ESS of Long island trial October 4
Our Zeta dog wins Open AA She is the dog in in the foreground! Her 2nd placement in the last 3 weeks!
and big weekend for Mike Wallace and Salmy kennels as he also runs the 4th place dog FC Badger and wins the Puppie stake with Junior.
couple more weeks of trialing and the Zeta girl will be home for some pheasant hunting

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:18 pm

gundogguy wrote:ESS of Long island trial October 4
Our Zeta dog wins Open AA She is the dog in in the foreground! Her 2nd placement in the last 3 weeks!
and big weekend for Mike Wallace and Salmy kennels as he also runs the 4th place dog FC Badger and wins the Puppie stake with Junior.
couple more weeks of trialing and the Zeta girl will be home for some pheasant hunting
Congratulations .
Any video's of those Blue ribbon runs?
(Nice markings on them springers btw :) )