The Spaniel Spot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Beauty.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Well, the Missouri Hunting Spaniel Club hosted an AKC English Springer Spaniel field trial this weekend at Brushy Creek Farm ( http://www.birdhuntmissouri.com). The weather was great and the dogs put on a show.

I was fortunate to get to run Josie in the Puppy Stake. She stayed steady to flush, shot and fall and was awarded 2nd Place. Trialing is over with until February. So, let's go hunting and shoot some woodcock!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am

SpringerDude wrote:Well, the Missouri Hunting Spaniel Club hosted an AKC English Springer Spaniel field trial this weekend at Brushy Creek Farm ( http://www.birdhuntmissouri.com). The weather was great and the dogs put on a show.

I was fortunate to get to run Josie in the Puppy Stake. She stayed steady to flush, shot and fall and was awarded 2nd Place. Trialing is over with until February. So, let's go hunting and shoot some woodcock!

Good Job SD! The WC season ends today in Michigan. Moved one flight bird yesterday after training class No birds this morning. 1st Grouse season ends the 14th reopens 12/01 Lower Peninsula. Training will continue until the snows are to deep. Trialing in the mid east early March early Feb.
We' ll see you at the Spot!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Way to go Tim!
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

bpope

Post by bpope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Awesome job, Tim! Very nice to meet you again and very impressive to watch your dogs work!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Just amazing how fast time flies by a year ago
when I started Zeta's first yard work- out training session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ipwymPm5o

Now a year later Just amazing what can be accomplished

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLEVf3QmNqs

so glad I kept these clips what a nice little spaniel.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 am

Thank you for sharing these videos Hal. I saw that first one of Zeta on the table before I ever even picked my pup up (before he was born I guess would be better to say). Always enjoy your posts... and your great videos that go along with them.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

tmas

Post by tmas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 am

Here's my first question for all you Springer Spaniel guys. Large breed or regular Dog Food?

I'm bringing home my first springer spaniel puppy today. A black/white female that is 8 weeks old. I have a 4 yr old Chocolate Lab that is as hard core pheasant dog as any Lab I've ever seen. I've been on a long personal debate on whether to get another lab and hope it does as well as my first in the upland field, or try a new breed. I decided to go with an English Springer, and I hope I'm not disappointed. My reasons for going springer over lab are first, I never was able to get my Lab to quarter very well, she go's back to working it her way, with most cover I don't mind too much, but trying to systematically work a crp grass field i'd prefer a good pattern. Second, I'm hoping the springer will cover more ground than the lab does, and not wear out quite as quickly. My Lab was a very trainable dog, I planned on strictly using her as a retriever, I trained her to be steady to the shot, sit to whistle, and handle very well. It wasn't until I took her out on a couple pheasant hunts that I realized while she was a good retriever, she was born to hunt up roosters.

My goals for the springer is for her to be a great family dog. To hunt hard in the thick cover like cattails, willows and russian olives. I would really like to be able to train her to sit to flush, and be very good at blind retrieves. The stop whistle and come command are always first in my book, I feel like no matter how well your dog hunts and retrieves naturally, if you can stop them and turn them around when YOU want, the dog will usually learn the ins and outs of putting up and retrieving birds with experience.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am

Congratulations on your pup. In answer to your dog food question - and per how you plan to work the pup down the road - Purina Pro Plan Performance 30/20 (now called "Sport") doesn't differentiate between a dog's size or age. Good thing because all mine, spaniels and retrievers from 15-16 inches tall to 80 pounds, get it from the minute they go on dry food.

MG

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:12 pm

And Josie get's into the woodcock season with her first birds on her first hunt. So, let's go try out all these trained abilities and skills and see how we do in the "real" world. Best "ribbons" in the world are a brace of woodcock over a battle scarred spaniel. Nicely done!

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm

SpringerDude wrote:And Josie get's into the woodcock season with her first birds on her first hunt. So, let's go try out all these trained abilities and skills and see how we do in the "real" world. Best "ribbons" in the world are a brace of woodcock over a battle scarred spaniel. Nicely done!
Nicely done indeed! WTG Josie!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Jake on a 30 min sit/stay. Not a problem for a pup with his drive! Only wish he would sit still this long in his day to day life hahahaha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Jake on a 30 min sit/stay. Not a problem for a pup with his drive! Only wish he would sit still this long in his day to day life hahahaha

Very Good Cass!, Why would you put a dog on a 30 min sit/stay!

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:12 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Jake on a 30 min sit/stay. Not a problem for a pup with his drive! Only wish he would sit still this long in his day to day life hahahaha
Wow, Jake is a seriously beautiful cocker.

I agree with GDG's questioning.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:59 pm

I was wondering about that 30 minute sit/stay. Is this a common practice?
Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 am

Only in the duck blind or goose pit -

- and you're usually in a "sit-stay" with them. Otherwise with spaniels, unless they're at your side for doves or as an assistant Salvation Army bell ringer, no.

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:59 am

We were out in the backyard and I wanted to see how well he'd do in that type of situation. I was sitting in front of him (obviously from the picture) just hanging out in the yard. Not something I ever make him do (generally if I make him do a sit/stay its 5 mins tops). More curious than anything as I figured he'd be no good in the duck blind because he never sits still. However, I think he'd do well now.
Cass

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:13 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:...I figured he'd be no good in the duck blind because he never sits still. However, I think he'd do well now.
Why? Kraka agree to let you take your placeboard into the blind with him? And if Jake does good with that, you could think

about converting it into a door to the blind or something... :wink:

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:09 pm

I think the ''Spaniel Spot'' for these two is spot on!
And the Retrievers have got it right too!
I was using a 20 bore for the first time , and although the bird is not in the shot, It was shot! :wink:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

polmaise wrote:I think the ''Spaniel Spot'' for these two is spot on!
And the Retrievers have got it right too!
I was using a 20 bore for the first time , and although the bird is not in the shot, It was shot! :wink:
Very Nice! An iconic photo of the sporting life! A scene not usually witnessed in this country, for sure!
HS

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm

gundogguy wrote:
Very Nice! An iconic photo of the sporting life! A scene not usually witnessed in this country, for sure!
HS
Probably not gundogguy' !
But I'm sure there are many that can at least do 'Two at a Time' ? ;)

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:09 pm

polmaise wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
HS
I worked big shoots over the years and hardly ever thought there was a need for it. On occasion during rough shoots would run me Setter with a spaniel along for the retrieves or flush the occasional bird that was nested in a spot where the guns could not flush it out. Or run/hunt1 spaniel, with a another spaniel at heel. You see here shooter does the flushing over pointing dogs.
In 30 yrs I have not seen it done the way you portray in the photo,here in the states, then again it is not really part of our culture here
Of course I have seen it done that way in Wales ( Anglesey) back in 90's, but only with Spaniels.
Last edited by gundogguy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

polmaise wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
HS
Methinks out of a population of 350 million (including our neighbours to the north), gunddogguy and I would establish the North American over-under line for the "many that can at least do 'Two at a Time'" at five, six if we were being generous. Especially if it were two of each, spanners and 'trievers. You wise (guy)! :wink:

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:22 pm

gundogguy wrote:
I worked big shoots over the years and hardly ever thought there was a need for it. On occasion during rough shoots would run me Setter with a spaniel along for the retrieves or flush the occasional bird that was nested in a spot where the guns could not flush it out. Or run/hunt1 spaniel, with a another spaniel at heel. You see here shooter does the flushing over pointing dogs.
In 30 yrs I have not seen it done the way you portray in the photo,here in the states, then again it is not really part of our culture here
Of course I have seen it done that way in Wales ( Anglesey) back in 90's, but only with Spaniels.
It's not for every one gundogguy'..and it shouldn't be!
The cover over here is also so different that the 'shooter' would not be able to 'flush' the game! , neither would it be safe!..for either dog or gun in that situation ;)
But you can work 'two at a time' in a different setting?. They are adaptable with training (rightly) .

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:12 am

polmaise wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
It's not for every one gundogguy'..and it shouldn't be!
The cover over here is also so different that the 'shooter' would not be able to 'flush' the game! , neither would it be safe!..for either dog or gun in that situation ;)
But you can work 'two at a time' in a different setting?. They are adaptable with training (rightly) .

I agree whole heartily! YouTube is just simple filled with many examples of "how to do" or "not to do "!
For myself I have very little desire to train my Spaniels for non-slip work. I do however help many folks with their dogs in that venue.
I quit duck and goose hunting with the advent of steel or non-toxic shot, and that was years ago. I did enjoy wildfowling prior to the non-toxic era, and hunted two of my earlier Spaniels during the time. At this time I do not even have a close friends with Spaniels that even duck hunts any more as well.
Training first, then Pheasant, Grouse , and Woodcock are my passions.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 am

I have hunted with two springers with me. One hunting and one walking with me at a loose "heel". Meaning not right by my side but in close proximity to me. In the past I have hunted with two springers hunting at the same time. That gets chaotic to say the least. I prefer alternating them.

I have also used two springers at a Pheasant shoot where they are releasing the birds from a tower. Sending dogs on retrieves when calling one of the dogs name.

This past week I have hunted with a springer and a pointing dog at the same time. I handled the springer and my guest handled his pointing dog. One guest had English Pointer and the other had a GSP. Both were nice dogs that hunted the cover well. There never was a time when the spaniel messed up a "point" or got in the way when the other dog started working a bird. Yesterday, there were three hunters and two dogs, a springer and a GSP. In 2 hours we shot 3 limits of woodcock. It was a lot of action with consistent bird work during the 2 hours. Just a blast!

The more ways you can enjoy working your dog, the more opportunities you have to go work your dogs. Just plain fun!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Spaniel happenings November 19, ESS National Amateur Championships 120 dogs entered

http://www.essft.com/2013nac/homeA.html

tmas

Post by tmas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Thought I'd show off my new Springer pup. Her name is Sunniside Flush (Sunni). She's now 9 weeks old and a great joy to have around. This is her posing with a limit of wild roosters that we shot over my 4 yr old Chocolate Lab this last weekend.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 am

Gundogguy,

Thanks for posting the link and bringing this event to everyone's attention.

As an additional note: The National Open will be run in December and you can go to essft.com and click on National Open Championship and get to that page. This past weekend, there were folks still qualifying for the National Open so the running orders have not been produced yet.

I have a friend with 4 dogs in the National Amateur. It will be fun to watch the call back page and follow along with the progress of the trial. Hopefully he will get a chance to "play" all week.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:58 pm

tmas wrote:Thought I'd show off my new Springer pup. Her name is Sunniside Flush (Sunni). She's now 9 weeks old and a great joy to have around. This is her posing with a limit of wild roosters that we shot over my 4 yr old Chocolate Lab this last weekend.

Awesome picture. She looks great. That pic makes me think back and realize how much my little springer has grown and changed in the last 3 months since I got him. Have fun with her and happy hunting.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 pm

tmas,

Congrat's on the new pup. Sunni will be a top hunting dog in the near future. Have fun and Happy Training!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:42 am

Great Springer cover for the 50th running of the NAC in SE Ohio

https://nationalessfieldtrials.shutterfly.com/111

Great cover and great birds will sort out great dogs in a hurry! The dogs that make it through will earn their way!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for sharing Hal
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 pm

http://www.essft.com/2013nac/callbacks.html

Here is a link to the callback page for the ESS National Amateur Championship. Started with 113 dogs and down to 46 to run in the 4th series which is the last bracework series. Dogs that make it to the 5th series will run individually with both judges watching each run. Dogs that make it to the 5th have a legitimate chance for a placement if they can really put on a show for the judges.

A friend of mine went to the trial with 4 dogs entered. He has 3 in the 4th series. All 4 completed the 3rd series but one got dropped from the trial.

Going to be an exciting couple of days left for the National Amateur. Then the National Open is run the first week of December.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45 am

I have been looking into hunt tests as I think this is something I would like to do with Jake. I see that there are 2 dates next summer for hunt tests up here. Jul 26-27 and Aug 16-17 (www.cnsfta.com). Jake will be 18-19 months at that time. Is that too young? Should I wait another year before attempting the JH test? Looking at what's required (http://www.ckc.ca/en/Portals/0/pdf/Rule ... t%20SS.pdf) I am fairly confident he could do what is required now. The rules look a bit tougher than the AKC ones but still not terrible. They are not required to be steady (which he is getting close to anyways - I whistle on the flush and he sits) and just need to find, flush and retrieve 2 birds on land and 1 in water and show a definite quartering pattern (something he is lacking a bit but I do not think it is unrealistic to think with training it could be ironed out by next summer). I plan on continuing my training and maybe make a few trips to train with a spaniel training group (closest one is 3-4 hours away but I'm willing to make the drive a couple times if it helps get me where I want to be). So what does everyone think? Also as a side note - for someone new to hunt tests and/or trials, what should a novice do to get into the game?
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 am

Haven't read the canadian rules but will later.

If your dog hunts and finds birds and retrieves them back to you, you can usually pass the AKC Junior test fairly easily. I have had pups pass the Junior test at 1 yr of age. There are some things that can go wrong due to being a young dog but for the most part, fairly easy if the dog has been hunted.

Next year you should do fine at Junior. You might be ready for a higher level but you need some experience as a handler and seeing what the tests require, etc. Never hurts to go into a level of test that you are over qualified for. Postitive success is good for you both!

Quartering pattern is not judged strictly on Junior dogs, usually. However, they do need to cover their ground and not leave "holes" of uncovered ground that might cause them to pass a bird.

If you could get with a spaniel group that runs hunt tests, you will be able to run through a mock test with them and get more prepared. You can learn a lot from the trialers but it is best to visit with the folks that are actually participating in the game you are interested in.

Stoping on a whistle is fine. Dogs do not have to stop on the flush without a command to be considered a "steady" dog. Of course training to the higher level makes things nicer.

How to get into the game? Go watch one. talk to folks that play the game. train with folks that play the game. or just go enter your dog and see what you got! Think about it ... we all want to perform well and get something for our entry fee, right? But, if you can't get to other spaniel folks and learn the game, the fee is minimal expense for your "on the job" training. You can not pay these folks to come play with you and help make the atmosphere of a test as realistic as the real thing. Some folks pay big bucks to attend seminars on how to train dogs with goals of getting through hunt tests. The entry fee is much cheaper than the seminar.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:43 am

Thank you so much for that post Tim. It was great!
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 am

National Amateur Trial update:
The 4th Series has been completed. The info I received is that they will run the Water Test prior to running the 5th series.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 am

SpringerDude wrote:Haven't read the canadian rules but will later.

If your dog hunts and finds birds and retrieves them back to you, you can usually pass the AKC Junior test fairly easily. I have had pups pass the Junior test at 1 yr of age. There are some things that can go wrong due to being a young dog but for the most part, fairly easy if the dog has been hunted.

Next year you should do fine at Junior. You might be ready for a higher level but you need some experience as a handler and seeing what the tests require, etc. Never hurts to go into a level of test that you are over qualified for. Postitive success is good for you both!

Quartering pattern is not judged strictly on Junior dogs, usually. However, they do need to cover their ground and not leave "holes" of uncovered ground that might cause them to pass a bird.

If you could get with a spaniel group that runs hunt tests, you will be able to run through a mock test with them and get more prepared. You can learn a lot from the trialers but it is best to visit with the folks that are actually participating in the game you are interested in.

Stoping on a whistle is fine. Dogs do not have to stop on the flush without a command to be considered a "steady" dog. Of course training to the higher level makes things nicer.

How to get into the game? Go watch one. talk to folks that play the game. train with folks that play the game. or just go enter your dog and see what you got! Think about it ... we all want to perform well and get something for our entry fee, right? But, if you can't get to other spaniel folks and learn the game, the fee is minimal expense for your "on the job" training. You can not pay these folks to come play with you and help make the atmosphere of a test as realistic as the real thing. Some folks pay big bucks to attend seminars on how to train dogs with goals of getting through hunt tests. The entry fee is much cheaper than the seminar.

+1 Nancy Jo and I judged in Ontario 3yrs ago the Can Test rules are very similar except the level of difficulty is one level higher.
Example, Canadian JH is the same as American SH in requirements Canadian SH is the Same AKC Master, Canadian Master, includes brace work and a double mark at water.
Dogs are also required to have 3 contacts could impose some financial risks for the clubs holding he tests. as I recalled we use an amazing number of birds during that weekend.
As I recalled we passed 3 dogs the whole weekend. 25 dogs both days, Mostly cockers mostly hunters and mostly folks that did not understand how to prepare a dog for testing.

Age of the dogs is unimportant the stage of the development in the dog is at far more important.
As far as seminars go they are only worth while if the handler and dog are ready to put the information to work in the dogs every day work outs.
From what I could see the Canadian tests are well attended, though the frequency of tests may be a bit on the lean side.

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Lasted update :

16 dogs to the 5th series. run the 5th series before going to the water.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:37 am

Placements and The Winner

CM #28 Piper with Lloyd Jacobs

CM #40 Kai with Steve Beyers

CM #112 Treva with Bob Montler

Guns Award #112 Treva with Bob Montler

4th #107 Dante with Jess Sekey

3rd #10 Sparky with Bob Montler

2th #99 Belle with John Hall

1st #42 NAFC Marshal with Connor Wharton!!!!
Youngest National Winner!

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 am

http://www.essft.com/2013noc/home.html

Above link to the home page for the 2013 National Open to be held in Cambridge, Maryland Starting on Sunday, Dec 8.

A link to the Call Backs are on the home page. The trial is run the same way as the amateur trial with 4 series of brace work and then the 5th series individually for the placements.

If you live close to the National's, you should make a drive over one day and watch some quality dogs work in the field.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey guys just came in from training so thought I would throw this out. One of the things that has always blown me away since Jake was young was his scenting ability. He can be running at mach 3 and if he catches wind of bird or dummy it's like he ran into a wall and he zeroes in on it. That being said I just had one of those training sessions where it seemed like he couldn't smell a dummy if you taped it to his nose. Any idea why this happens? We were working on blinds and I know it wasn't that he was bored or anything of that nature - he was hunting hard to find it once he got to the area however he just seemed to struggle on scenting it. I'm not looking for advice as I'm sure tomorrow will be a different story, just kind of curious about other people's experiences with it and why you think it happens? I see videos a lot too where a spaniel will be hunting and you can see if the dog is doing a poor job as sometimes they are unaware of a flush that happened right by them. I understand environment, wind, and temperature have a lot to do with this I just find it odd sometimes.
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Welcome to the world of training dogs. Due to your efforts in getting out to train in varying temperatures and conditions, you are starting to observe your dog in different situations. Scenting conditions change and it can be as dramatic as you saw even during the same day. You have seen your dog when scenting is good and he has no trouble finding whatever he is looking for. Today you saw the other extreme. This is the knowledge and experience that you will continue to acquire due to being out with your dog and training.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Justa reminder for those of you living in East The English Springer Spaniel National Championships will begin Cambridge, Maryland Starting on Sunday, Dec 8.

If you wondered how spaniels compete or would like to see the best springers on the continent the battle for the NFC title will begin Sunday Dec 8th

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:35 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Hey guys just came in from training so thought I would throw this out. One of the things that has always blown me away since Jake was young was his scenting ability. He can be running at mach 3 and if he catches wind of bird or dummy it's like he ran into a wall and he zeroes in on it. That being said I just had one of those training sessions where it seemed like he couldn't smell a dummy if you taped it to his nose. Any idea why this happens? We were working on blinds and I know it wasn't that he was bored or anything of that nature - he was hunting hard to find it once he got to the area however he just seemed to struggle on scenting it. I'm not looking for advice as I'm sure tomorrow will be a different story, just kind of curious about other people's experiences with it and why you think it happens? I see videos a lot too where a spaniel will be hunting and you can see if the dog is doing a poor job as sometimes they are unaware of a flush that happened right by them. I understand environment, wind, and temperature have a lot to do with this I just find it odd sometimes.
I suppose if a 3 year old kid was given a $20 bill he would discard it after the initial touch,because he doesn't know the value of it.
But once the value has been realised it would put its hand through a bramble bush and suffer the scratches to get it.
I don't think your dog was struggling to scent the dummy, I think he was struggling to make sense of what was a $20 dollar bill and a dime :wink:

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 pm

polmaise wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:Hey guys just came in from training so thought I would throw this out. One of the things that has always blown me away since Jake was young was his scenting ability. He can be running at mach 3 and if he catches wind of bird or dummy it's like he ran into a wall and he zeroes in on it. That being said I just had one of those training sessions where it seemed like he couldn't smell a dummy if you taped it to his nose. Any idea why this happens? We were working on blinds and I know it wasn't that he was bored or anything of that nature - he was hunting hard to find it once he got to the area however he just seemed to struggle on scenting it. I'm not looking for advice as I'm sure tomorrow will be a different story, just kind of curious about other people's experiences with it and why you think it happens? I see videos a lot too where a spaniel will be hunting and you can see if the dog is doing a poor job as sometimes they are unaware of a flush that happened right by them. I understand environment, wind, and temperature have a lot to do with this I just find it odd sometimes.
I suppose if a 3 year old kid was given a $20 bill he would discard it after the initial touch,because he doesn't know the value of it.
But once the value has been realised it would put its hand through a bramble bush and suffer the scratches to get it.
I don't think your dog was struggling to scent the dummy, I think he was struggling to make sense of what was a $20 dollar bill and a dime :wink:
If you mean not giving dummies the attention he would give a bird I'd have to disagree. FF makes that a non-issue. Perhaps I am misinterpreting you though Rob?
Cass

SpringerDude

Post by SpringerDude » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Huh? What are you "really" saying? No sense in trying to guess what the analogy was meant to imply.

polmaise wrote: I suppose if a 3 year old kid was given a $20 bill he would discard it after the initial touch,because he doesn't know the value of it.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:44 pm

SpringerDude wrote:Huh? What are you "really" saying? No sense in trying to guess what the analogy was meant to imply.
Good, I'm not the only confused one lol
Cass

Tomb82

Post by Tomb82 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey everyone, this is a great thread! I'm picking up my first pup on Saturday. He's a 4 month old springer. I'll be picking him up at the national in Maryland. I've never been to a feild trial before and can't wait to see how it's run and how the top dogs work. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions for you guys so thanks in advance!