Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Video is set on 'Private' !
Gundogguy :wink:

gundogguy

Re: The Spaniel Spot

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:37 pm

My bad! Good to go!
Train on!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 pm

gundogguy wrote: In this case the bird volunteered and was not actually flushed by the dog, at this point in her training Zeta only gets retrieves on bird she flushes. In a small way that allows her some ownership of birds she produces vs's birds that are volunteers. This also acts as an honor conditioning when we are training with just one dog in the field, and it requires another level steadiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqSa0BMEnw
An 'Important' factor in the training that many over here forget :wink:
Good stuff!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Polmaise and Gundogguy, that's all well and good for training but when hunting I may only come across one or two roosters a weekend... I don't care how they're flushed at that point, I'm killing them and my dog's hard work will be rewarded. Also, knocking down a rooster after 45 minutes of hiking makes my legs and feet hurt less.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:05 pm

I think in this instance mnaj_springer it was indicated that it is training :wink:
One could debate semantics all night regarding what or who or to what end individuals use their dogs for :roll:
Personally though ?....A 45 minute hike is a walk in the park , but I wouldn't hunt mine for that time in the cover I hunt spaniels :| . Plus, I'm a pretty good shot too :lol:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Mnag no disrespect intended but training always demands taking a dog, no matter where they are at in their development to a higher plain. I to would send my hunting dog on a volunteer every time!. Training allows one to investigate the talents of the dog being run.
Their is an old saying that one of my early mentors used to preach back in the 70's " Hunting tears a dog down , training builds them up, it is all about the dog not the bird".
Sorry you could not draw something from the training clip.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Gundogguy, I don't know how that was disrespectful so no disrespect was taken. I was simply pointing out that although it may help while training, I would not do the same while hunting, which is the "game" I train my dog for. And I did learn from the clip, I don't recall stating otherwise.

Polmaise, I did acknowledge it was a training scenario, that was never questioned. And if you wouldn't hunt yours for 45 minutes, then how would do you call it a walk in the park? Maybe you assume I hunt grassy plains?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 pm

On a hunting note i hunt extremely thick cover - the dog is always cut up on his face and we certainly hunt longer than 45 mins. I agree as far as hunting is concerned mnaj - i regularly hunt for 2-3 hours at a time, certainly not in open country and may not see a bird the whole time. Generally we get a few flushes though but hitting birds in that stuff is near impossible. There are many hints we come home empty handed. Training is different though and the dog does know that.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:20 am

(Quote, Mnaj_Springer) Gundogguy, I don't know how that was disrespectful so no disrespect was taken. I was simply pointing out that although it may help while training, I would not do the same while hunting, which is the "game" I train my dog for. And I did learn from the clip, I don't recall stating otherwise.

No worry Mnaj, there is a difference between hunting and training. My first trip to the Dakota's in 76, taught me very quickly that I had better change what I was doing with me spaniel.
It was at that point that I changed and began the journey of exploring the canine mind thru training.
Some time ago an acquaintance question me on training activities. His main contention was "there are no pheasants to hunt in Michigan why bother training" in fact he question the wisdom of even owning a dog. My answer was very simple, if bird hunting was outlawed tomorrow my dogs education would continued uninterrupted. Same goes for trialing,over the years we have made champions and over the years we have trained dogs that could have made champion if only we were interested in the title, and campaigned them. If the AKC shut down the trial game, training would continue unabated.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 am

mnaj_springer wrote: Polmaise, I did acknowledge it was a training scenario, that was never questioned. And if you wouldn't hunt yours for 45 minutes, then how would do you call it a walk in the park? Maybe you assume I hunt grassy plains?
I never assume anything 'mnaj' . I may hunt all day with the dog ,but it never 'hunts' all day.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:16 am

polmaise wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote: Polmaise, I did acknowledge it was a training scenario, that was never questioned. And if you wouldn't hunt yours for 45 minutes, then how would do you call it a walk in the park? Maybe you assume I hunt grassy plains?
I never assume anything 'mnaj' . I may hunt all day with the dog ,but it never 'hunts' all day.
Huh?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 pm

I have a question... I notice (at least in cockers) that you never really see health clearances from breeders (obviously talking about field trial type breedings). Compared to say labs where testing is paramount, why is this the case? For those that do screen, what do they test for? I would assume hips and elbows, and PRA. What else?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:28 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I have a question... I notice (at least in cockers) that you never really see health clearances from breeders (obviously talking about field trial type breedings). Compared to say labs where testing is paramount, why is this the case? For those that do screen, what do they test for? I would assume hips and elbows, and PRA. What else?

I have worked with a number of Cocker breeders over the years and conversations along these lines have come up on occasion. I do know that they do test and certify, for those conditions you list. I don't believe there are any skin maladies that concern themselves with. I have never seen the actual Cert's. Probable because i was not actively seeking to acquire a pup. My belief is that Cockers and Springers share many of the same issues.
I also have never seen documentation from Lab breeders that I have known,however I do believe they are testing their breeding stock as well.
You must be reading an HRC magazine an perusing the advertisements for stud dogs and litters that are available. They do tend to put Certs in headlines! :lol:

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:11 am

gundogguy wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:I have a question... I notice (at least in cockers) that you never really see health clearances from breeders (obviously talking about field trial type breedings). Compared to say labs where testing is paramount, why is this the case? For those that do screen, what do they test for? I would assume hips and elbows, and PRA. What else?
I have worked with a number of Cocker breeders over the years and conversations along these lines have come up on occasion. I do know that they do test and certify, for those conditions you list. I don't believe there are any skin maladies that concern themselves with. I have never seen the actual Cert's. Probable because i was not actively seeking to acquire a pup. My belief is that Cockers and Springers share many of the same issues.
I also have never seen documentation from Lab breeders that I have known,however I do believe they are testing their breeding stock as well.
You must be reading an HRC magazine an perusing the advertisements for stud dogs and litters that are available. They do tend to put Certs in headlines! :lol:
Gundogguy, HRC and everybody else who breeds and sells competitive Lab puppies puts the health clearances in headlines. And rightly so, as the Lab world is light years ahead in testing against defects and "afflictions" such as EIC. Wouldn't think of buying a FT pup without all the aforementioned - and a guarantee on them that, should any such defect or affliction surface, the breeder would cover it with another pup for up to 36 months.

Doubly lucky for me, Boykin breeders are now putting "Certs in headlines!" too - vastly improving that breed, especially with regard to dysplasia. The Boykin Spaniel Society, true parent breed club despite the AKC interlopers, was actually reimbursing Boykin owners to have their dogs' hips OFA'd.

What with this little gal now in her 14th year of toting the load, much of the time after flushing and hupping to the shot,

would have to say it's been a big benefit in extending a favorite gundog's working life - and her quality of life as well.

I'm almost curious as to why the other spaniel breeds don't demand same insofar as testing for health clearances.

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

crackerd wrote:

I'm almost curious as to why the other spaniel breeds don't demand same insofar as testing for health clearances.

MG
If you mean Why spaniel Parent Clubs are not involved I would have no insight into that question? Most parent clubs set out to design a horse and end up with a camel IMHO.
I only know what we did when we were breeding! Hips,Eyes elbows and something called PFK. Very similar symptoms to EIC though very few individual spaniels affected by or even that tested positive. None that knew of which makes sense, if the dog tested positive, the backing was not there to campaign on the circuit, hence they were not used in a trialing breeding program. same goes for hips and eye's. In my close circle only FC or AFC dogs are mated. So health clearances are very important.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:14 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
polmaise wrote: I never assume anything 'mnaj' . I may hunt all day with the dog ,but it never 'hunts' all day.
Huh?
You sound confused 'mnaj' ?...
We were 'Hunting all day' Today :lol:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Polmaise I'm just not sure where you were going with that comment. And that walking looks like nothing compared to marshes and thickets I trudge through.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:33 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Polmaise I'm just not sure where you were going with that comment. And that walking looks like nothing compared to marshes and thickets I trudge through.
The photo posted by polamaise was a shot of what may takes place between drives. Not know the estate and the size of bag they may have 8-10 drives per day You may notice the hill country that the handler and dogs have to negotiate must "trudge" up and down,constantly standing or moving one leg higher than the other. We are talking some serious elevations where the UK dog folks have to work. Not the flatlands and marshes of the Mid-western states. In my visits to UK I had all I wanted in running dogs either at driven or rough shooting it was not a walk in the park for me. We hunted all day, but the dog never "hunts" all day.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 am

Either you think I'm stupid or you're purposefully being patronizing. I don't much like either one. Clearly They don't walk on the road all day. You should also avoid the assumption that I hunt flat ground.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 pm

2015 ESS Championships at Lauder Scotland.
50 0f the 61 competitors are through to the second day in horrendous weather. The game is sitting tight and half of the dogs are out already. Most for ''missing game'' .
The weather is still forecast cold and strong winds with rain for tomorrow.
Dogs still in so far :
4. Simonside Doris of Laysan - Ben Watkins
8. Caulliechat Primrose - John Howden
9. Rixton Charisma Jessie FtCh - Andrew Bennett
14.Nederscot Eirwen FtCh - Eric Smith
16.Barcudwen Bounty FtCh - Aled Jones
18.Hollydrive Kurt FtCh - Ian Openshaw
19.Wrenmarsh Melody - Rob Alum
20.Rothievale Larch - Jim Adamson
24.Bella Of Brandon - RG Chapple
25.Helmsway Henry FtCh - Andrew Bennett
27.Clodahill Nofler of Carnteel - Ian Blair
31.Helmsway Hope FtCh - Ian English
32.Killhopemoss Mafiaso - Mick Huitson
35.Goodspeed Warrior - Barry Faley
36.Sliabh Treasure InFtCh - L Rice
37.Dunbrigg Bella FtCh - Ian Flint
38.Wyndhill Brett of Stagsden FtCh - Alec Coutts
39.Hollydrive Sally - Mick Walsh
41.Lisgarvagh Verde FtCh - Paul Carragher
43.Broomfield Dee FtCh - Eddie Scott
44.Finno Sam Ftch - Richard bramwell
46.Churchview Chimes - John Bailey
47.Balmuir Skylark FtCh - Mick Huitson
48.Rheastmooar Fizzy - John Bailey
49.Vysjkan Balay - M Armstrong
50.Rosebay Fantasy FtCh - Aubrey Ladyman
51.Helmsway Hellraiser FtCh - Ian English
52.Parkmeadow Clover FtCh - Steve Bates
53.Bishwell Beebop - Stuart Morgan
54.Rothievale Medlar of Edgegrove - Jeremy Organ
55.Brynfedi Adel of Countryways - Dave Templar
56 Buccleuch Imrigh - William Drummond
57.Shalloakwest Ellie FtCh - B Wade
58.Broomfield Rosetta FtCh - Eddie Scott
59.Kilhopemoss Melody - J O'Connor
60. Murrayeden Apollo of Nedescot - Eric Smith
61.Hollydrive Theo FtCh - Ian Openshaw

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:56 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Either you think I'm stupid or you're purposefully being patronizing. I don't much like either one. Clearly They don't walk on the road all day. You should also avoid the assumption that I hunt flat ground.
Why would you draw that conclusion from Gundogguy's commentary? - He hasn't cast any aspersion, made any assumption or otherwise stated anything but his own personal experience in the UK. And, oh, he's probably one of the most knowledgeable not to mention accomplished "gundogguys" on any of these gundog forums.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm

polmaise wrote: One could debate semantics all night regarding what or who or to what end individuals use their dogs for :roll:
Tell us , Nay' show us mnaj ? what you do with yours ?
Gundogguy and myself have put a few videos on here (Hope they have been helpful and at least entertaining) :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:39 pm

I would imagine that both the U.S. and Britain vary considerably when it comes to both terrain and the type of cover. Good dogs can cope with the lot ....wish I could ! :lol:

This is "Big Ned" the clumber hunting his way through fallen trees, brambles and rhodie bushes, I really struggle in that sort of stuff.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I would imagine that both the U.S. and Britain vary considerably when it comes to both terrain and the type of cover. Good dogs can cope with the lot ....wish I could ! :lol:

This is "Big Ned" the clumber hunting his way through fallen trees, brambles and rhodie bushes, I really struggle in that sort of stuff.

Bill T.
Bill, great snapshot! How high di you have to climb to get that angle and shot. look like grouse country to me! we here in the states would call that "knarly stuff" :D
Hal
Last edited by gundogguy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Either you think I'm stupid or you're purposefully being patronizing. I don't much like either one. Clearly They don't walk on the road all day. You should also avoid the assumption that I hunt flat ground.

Careful Mnaj, I do not think you stupid and what would be the point of patronizing. As for assumptions, please provide photos of the marshes on the side of a mountain, any of the ones i have hunted were on relatively flat ground surrounded by higher ground of some some sort.
Polmaise hit on something about he and I releasing videos and photo's of what we do with dogs and the standards that we keep photo's and vids from you would be nice!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:23 pm

polmaise wrote:
polmaise wrote: One could debate semantics all night regarding what or who or to what end individuals use their dogs for :roll:
Tell us , Nay' show us mnaj ? what you do with yours ?
Gundogguy and myself have put a few videos on here (Hope they have been helpful and at least entertaining) :lol:
+! :D :D

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:13 pm

gundogguy wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Polmaise I'm just not sure where you were going with that comment. And that walking looks like nothing compared to marshes and thickets I trudge through.
The photo posted by polamaise was a shot of what may takes place between drives. Not know the estate and the size of bag they may have 8-10 drives per day You may notice the hill country that the handler and dogs have to negotiate must "trudge" up and down,constantly standing or moving one leg higher than the other. We are talking some serious elevations where the UK dog folks have to work. Not the flatlands and marshes of the Mid-western states. In my visits to UK I had all I wanted in running dogs either at driven or rough shooting it was not a walk in the park for me. We hunted all day, but the dog never "hunts" all day.
The videos and photos posted looks pretty relaxing compared to the snow filled cattail sloughs, gullies and ravines us flatlanders hunt. :wink: Perhaps we could learn a little bit, if we partook in casual strolls with our walking sticks between drives. :lol: Anyways, I'm sure the elevation makes all the difference. :roll:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't have photos or videos because while I'm training I'm focusing on the dog, and while I'm hunting I have even more to focus on doing. I only get so much time with my dogs because I work 2 jobs and have other commitments so when I'm with them I have no other distractions. I also don't recall saying I hunt marshes on mountains.

This all started when I said getting a bird after 45 minutes of walking relieves some discomfort from said walking, then a pissing contest ensued.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I don't have photos or videos because while I'm training I'm focusing on the dog, and while I'm hunting I have even more to focus on doing. I only get so much time with my dogs because I work 2 jobs and have other commitments so when I'm with them I have no other distractions. I also don't recall saying I hunt marshes
mnaj_springer wrote: And that walking looks like nothing compared to marshes and thickets I trudge through.
Totally understand mnaj ! It can be difficult when you hunt alone to get a photo taken by a buddy that ain't there. I often however just stop to admire the view.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:39 pm

nikegundog wrote: The videos and photos posted looks pretty relaxing compared to the snow filled cattail sloughs, gullies and ravines us flatlanders hunt. :wink: Perhaps we could learn a little bit, if we partook in casual strolls with our walking sticks between drives. :lol: Anyways, I'm sure the elevation makes all the difference. :roll:
Yea, they can be a 'trudge' at times :roll:
How is your Summer?

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:59 pm

One minute I was reading about a little tweak to reinforce steadiness on a training run and I woke up in a cattail marsh on a hillside in Scotland. Whoa...
"Endeavor to perservere."

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:27 pm

MJB64 wrote:One minute I was reading about a little tweak to reinforce steadiness on a training run and I woke up in a cattail marsh on a hillside in Scotland. Whoa...
And a lot of blowing smoke... lol
Cass

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

polmaise wrote:
nikegundog wrote: The videos and photos posted looks pretty relaxing compared to the snow filled cattail sloughs, gullies and ravines us flatlanders hunt. :wink: Perhaps we could learn a little bit, if we partook in casual strolls with our walking sticks between drives. :lol: Anyways, I'm sure the elevation makes all the difference. :roll:
http://s496.photobucket.com/user/robert ... 0.jpg.html
How is your Summer?
That light fluffy snow would be a nice change of pace. :) I hope this isn't summer, looking at -8 tonight, with winds gusting to 38

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm

polmaise wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:I don't have photos or videos because while I'm training I'm focusing on the dog, and while I'm hunting I have even more to focus on doing. I only get so much time with my dogs because I work 2 jobs and have other commitments so when I'm with them I have no other distractions. I also don't recall saying I hunt marshes
mnaj_springer wrote: And that walking looks like nothing compared to marshes and thickets I trudge through.
Totally understand mnaj ! It can be difficult when you hunt alone to get a photo taken by a buddy that ain't there. I often however just stop to admire the view.
You purposefully misquoted me by cutting off the "on mountains." You should come to the U.S. and be a politician!

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:44 am

Seeing i have survived another day and continue to grow older This fairly much fits the situation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:55 am

True, but nevertheless, you and Polmaise for penance must hup 50 times each in a marsh (and going up a mountain).

Cass has impunity because he's still working with the venial sin of training his first spaniel.

MG

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:19 am

nikegundog wrote:
polmaise wrote:
http://s496.photobucket.com/user/robert ... 0.jpg.html
How is your Summer?
That light fluffy snow would be a nice change of pace. :) I hope this isn't summer, looking at -8 tonight, with winds gusting to 38
That being said, I'd rather be cold than wet.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 am

crackerd wrote: Cass has impunity because he's still working with the venial sin of training his first spaniel.
Appreciate it MG - I'm sure that training is punishment enough at times hahahha
Cass

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:34 pm

crackerd wrote:True, but nevertheless, you and Polmaise for penance must hup 50 times each in a marsh (and going up a mountain).

Cass has impunity because he's still working with the venial sin of training his first spaniel.

MG

Ineffabilis Deus and with Papal infallibilty the the penance is handed down from Pope Puis the Crackerd!
Or may in the famous words of Pharaoh Ramese, "Let be said let be done"!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:51 pm

gundogguy wrote:
crackerd wrote:True, but nevertheless, you and Polmaise for penance must hup 50 times each in a marsh (and going up a mountain).

MG

Ineffabilis Deus and with Papal infallibilty the the penance is handed down from Pope Puis the Crackerd!
Or may in the famous words of Pharaoh Ramese, "Let be said let be done"!
As soon as I find a Marsh going up a mountain I'll complete the the penance. Ramses 1 ..and handed down to Ramesses 2.
Cass has No 'Impunity' he is mentor'd by one of the 'Prophets' :)
A Scottish saying ''"Pray that byegones betwixt me and my Lord may be byegones."

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Now that you mention the Ramses boys I & II, Robt., I think the younger had marshes installed on the south face of a couple of the pyramids. So that penance could be performed now, especially if you're thinking about becoming T.E. Lawrence VI anytime soon.

MG

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:41 pm

While you're there you could visit the Great and Powerful Oz. I hear he gives out courage, hearts, and brains.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 pm

2015 ‎ENGLISH‬ ‎SPRINGER‬ ‎SPANIEL‬ CHAMPIONSHIP - Results
WINNER - John Bailey’s Rheastmooar Fizzy
2nd Place - Ian Openshaw’s Int FTCh Hollydrive Theo
3rd Place - Ian English’s FTCh Helmsway Hope
4th Place - Ben Watkins’s FTCh Simonside Doris of Laysan
Diploma of Merit:-
Mr J Howden’s Caulliechat Primrose
Mr E J M Smith’s FTCh Nederscot Eirwen
Mr I J T Openshaw’s Int FTCh Hollydrive Kurt
Mr R Allum’s Wrenmarsh Melody
Mr A Bennett’s FTCh Helmsway Henry
Mr B Faley’s Goodspeed Warrior
Mr L Rice’s Int FTCh Sliabh Treasure
Mr A Coutts’s FTCh Wyndhill Brett of Stagsden
Mr E Scott’s FT Ch Broomfield Dee
Mr M Huitson’s FTCh Balmuir Skylark
Mr M Armstrong’s Vysjkan Jae
Mr S Morgan’s Bishwell Beebop
Mr D C Templar’s FTCh Brynfedi Adel of Countryways
Mr E J M & Mrs J A Smith’s Murrayeden Apollo of Nederscot Handler: Mr E J M Smith

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:25 am

polmaise wrote:2015 ‎ENGLISH‬ ‎SPRINGER‬ ‎SPANIEL‬ CHAMPIONSHIP - Results
WINNER - John Bailey’s Rheastmooar Fizzy
2nd Place - Ian Openshaw’s Int FTCh Hollydrive Theo
3rd Place - Ian English’s FTCh Helmsway Hope
4th Place - Ben Watkins’s FTCh Simonside Doris of Laysan
Diploma of Merit:-
Mr J Howden’s Caulliechat Primrose
Mr E J M Smith’s FTCh Nederscot Eirwen
Mr I J T Openshaw’s Int FTCh Hollydrive Kurt
Mr R Allum’s Wrenmarsh Melody
Mr A Bennett’s FTCh Helmsway Henry
Mr B Faley’s Goodspeed Warrior
Mr L Rice’s Int FTCh Sliabh Treasure
Mr A Coutts’s FTCh Wyndhill Brett of Stagsden
Mr E Scott’s FT Ch Broomfield Dee
Mr M Huitson’s FTCh Balmuir Skylark
Mr M Armstrong’s Vysjkan Jae
Mr S Morgan’s Bishwell Beebop
Mr D C Templar’s FTCh Brynfedi Adel of Countryways
Mr E J M & Mrs J A Smith’s Murrayeden Apollo of Nederscot Handler: Mr E J M Smith
Thanks Polmaise competition must have been very stiff with that number of DM's. Must have been a thrilling trial! I have to find a long lost uncle that could finance a trip over for the next January would loved to see one more Champs

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Well I'm going crazy now since its almost 3 weeks since all hunting has closed (aside from coyotes). A friend and I are taking the dog to a game farm tomorrow to do a pheasant hunt. I have never hunted them nor have I ever been to a preserve. Any tips or comments? We ordered 8 birds. Hoping that it takes a while to find them all as I don't want it to be over too quickly!
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Have fun! Shoot straight.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 am

Thought you might like like this one 'Gundogguy' ?.......
Spaniel in a beating line on a commercial shoot. These little 'flusher's' almost never get a retrieve !..
Nice surprise at the end ? :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNaxpikOvJA

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:58 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Well I'm going crazy now since its almost 3 weeks since all hunting has closed (aside from coyotes). A friend and I are taking the dog to a game farm tomorrow to do a pheasant hunt. I have never hunted them nor have I ever been to a preserve. Any tips or comments? We ordered 8 birds. Hoping that it takes a while to find them all as I don't want it to be over too quickly!
Cass, how'd the hunt go? Have any pictures or videos?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 am

Got the computer working temporarily - hopefully long enough to post these pictures. Great day at Bird's Eye View on Monday with the dog. Me and my buddy went together and paid for 8 birds. We missed one and one must've flown off before we got to it but as we were walking across the field to take another run at some different cover Jake's nose caught the wind and his head snapped to the left and he ran about 40 yards into the bush - emerging with a crippled hen that must've been shot and never found on the weekend. I dispatched her quickly and we ended up with 7 birds. Great first time! It was a lot of excitement for Jake and made me realize after a long hunting season we need to get back on track with training as his steadiness was an issue early on in the hunt. All in all a good day with a good dog and good friend.

Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:57 am

Looks like a nice day!