Need help with a jumping Britt

PineValleyBritt

Need help with a jumping Britt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 pm

I need help with my Britt pup jumping up at everyone. He jumps up an digs on u or he jumps up an I guess there play bites in your hands.
Its really bad on my gf an her 3 year old son. He jumps up on her an tries to play bite her hands or jumps an pushes off of her, if she don't pay attention to him or push him off he bites the back of her legs.
With her son he jumps up at his face or tries to bite his ears or scratches his back. Now when he walks away from him he chases him down an jumps at him an knocks him down.

I don't kno what to do anymore I kennel him an tell him no when he does it but he acts like he's done nuthin wrong an then comes back at me an snaps at me

Need help to fix this or she's gonna make him go or be an outside dog

RichK

Re: Need help with a jumping Britt

Post by RichK » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Easy fix, a few solid knees to him when he jumps up will fix the problem.

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Tried that he thinks ur playing with him he keeps jumping

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Grab his collar and force him to stay down, always tell him down when you grab that collar. It's going to take some time but it works. Keep in mind britts are high energy dogs that love to play and need regular exercise. They are very intelligent and also sensitive dogs, they don't progress well with harsh scolding. Firm discipline at the right time so he understands works best. Nothing can take the play out of the pup but if he's hurting anyone and biting hard it must be corrected. Lots of exercise and proper training and he will be a great dog and hunter..

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm

PineValleyBritt wrote:Tried that he thinks ur playing with him he keeps jumping
Then youre not doing it hard enough

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:11 am

Keep his leash on at all times. When you step on it give him no slack. He wont even make a inch off the ground. I know it sounds cruel but try to get him to jump up. He will learn fast. This worked for me now she don't even try it. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:09 am

Teach him to "down" or "sit" or to go lay on a blanket on command. When he gets out of control - you should know when that is going to happen - then make him go to his blanket and lay down. Or make him "sit" or lay "down." Replace the crazy behavior with a trained behavior. If he's a 3 month old puppy - it will take a while. If he's older, he needs to have some obedience anyway - sit means sit - so have him do it. I've found the "blanket" command to be the best one though. Making him go and stay on his bed or blanket is the best command ever in the house.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 am

I think you use all these ideas along with a few others. When the pup puts his paws on her, get her to step on pups rear feet. Huntsmith has a technique that starts on the chain gang. When you approach the pup on the CG his natural instinct is to jump up and down. Don't take him off or pet him when he is doing that. Take a step or two back until he stops jumping then take a step forward when he stops. If he starts jumping again (and he will) take a step or two backwards until he stops. Repeat the process until he stands still then finally approach him, pet him and take him off the CG. Be prepared to spend a little time on this drill as you will sometimes need to repeat the process many times before they "get it".

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Melvin4730 wrote:
PineValleyBritt wrote:Tried that he thinks ur playing with him he keeps jumping
Then youre not doing it hard enough
+1 My shorthair use to jump on people and when i saw her about to jump on me, or come back to do it again, I would cock my knee back and hit her as hard as I could. a few times of that should do the trick. when she yipes, you did it hard enough!! now she only stands up on her hind feet to look at you :D Good luck. Keep at it and dont be afraid to lay into her.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 am

PineValleyBritt wrote:I need help with my Britt pup jumping up at everyone. He jumps up an digs on u or he jumps up an I guess there play bites in your hands.
Catch both paws in both hands and squeeze, while pulling the dog down commanding NO!. May take a few REPS, but pup will learn soon, (very soon), that jumping up on someone isn't a real good idea.
Don't overly concern yourself about any vocalization associated with it.

It's either the dog or a toddler with it's face scratched up- take your pick.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I agree 100% with Big bloc prevent by using the leash. Also I use the command OFF not Down as down means to lie down. Not knowing how old your pup is you must understand with kids, the dog is treating them like siblings just like it would other pups in the litter etc. Dogs play using their mouth until the other dog yelps. Some trainers teach kids to Yelp OUCH! when the dog is mouthing. I never found that really solves the problem for good.

As a dog trainer teaching family dogs obedience and proper house manners for more than half my life, I believe that families with young children should not get a new pup till the youngest child is at least 6 years old and maybe older depending on the child. Now having said that.... can you raise a new puppy with young children under 6 YES of course. It just takes lots of prevention and teaching to both the child and dog. Both need to learn proper skills so both can live in the house together.

Just this last weekend I consulted with a family with a new Giant Schnauzer puppy 4 months old. Same problem mouthing, jumping on the kids, along with potty training and a whole lot more. The kids ages were B13, G7, B2, and a new baby boy 8 weeks old. OMG. What an up hill battle this wil be for a while. This pup is very smart and learns very fast. I hope the owners can keep up with the work ahead too.

It will take time but you will get through this part if your consistent with your puppy training. The Crate is your best friend for a while.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 pm

PineValleyBritt wrote:
I don't kno what to do anymore I kennel him an tell him no when he does it but he acts like he's done nuthin wrong an then comes back at me an snaps at me

That pup need a "bleep" good "Come to Jesus meeting" with you. I will tolerate NO dog snapping at me, even in play. When he jumps on your daughter, command NO and clean his clock. I really like the knee to the chest. Tempt him. Pat your chest and coax him to jump up then blast him with your knee and tip him over backward. You will have to discipline him for your little girl, she can't and you're the man of the house.

No excuse for that dog doing that.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 am

PineValleyBritt wrote:I need help with my Britt pup jumping up at everyone. He jumps up an digs on u or he jumps up an I guess there play bites in your hands.
Its really bad on my gf an her 3 year old son. He jumps up on her an tries to play bite her hands or jumps an pushes off of her, if she don't pay attention to him or push him off he bites the back of her legs.
With her son he jumps up at his face or tries to bite his ears or scratches his back. Now when he walks away from him he chases him down an jumps at him an knocks him down.

How old is the Brittany? and why do the 3 yr old have to share the same space? The child can not teach the dog anything and can only develop some fear of canines or animals through these experiences. The dog is prolly viewing the child as prey or a weak pack member and is trying to dominate the relationship.
The statement "the dogs acts like he's done nothing wrong" Do you think your dog has a moral conscious? And now the dog is snapping, you need professional help! Really tough to deal with out of balance behavioral issues via the internet?
Best of luck with these issues.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 am

IMO A dog should not have to be commanded to stay off and not jump up. When I have an issue with jumping I grab both front feet and step firmly on the back one it does not take long for them to get the picture the biggest thing is consistency have anyone who gets jumped on do it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 am

How old is the pup???

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 am

Swampbilly wrote:Catch both paws in both hands and squeeze, while pulling the dog down commanding NO!. May take a few REPS, but pup will learn soon, (very soon), that jumping up on someone isn't a real good idea.
Finally the right answer.

PineValleyBritt

Post by PineValleyBritt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:22 pm

The pup is 7 months.

An thank u for all replies

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 pm

At seven months he's still a baby, but it will be easier to cure it now than later. Either Swamp's method or the knee to the chest will work well. Tempt him, then correct him. You will have to be your daughters protector, she is far to young. And, those puppy teeth hurt!!

Be consistent and don't worry about being unfair.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 pm

There are two problems here - the jumping and the nipping. The jumping has been addressed, but a knee to the chest won't stop the nipping. The dog thinks it is a fun game - you need to make it undeniably uncomfortable so that the notion of playing a game of "nipping" never occurs to him anymore. Most people are uncomfortable with making their dog uncomfortable and so the dog persists with the game and may even escalate the behavior to elicit more "corrections" which he views as part of the game.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 am

slistoe wrote:There are two problems here - the jumping and the nipping. The jumping has been addressed, but a knee to the chest won't stop the nipping. The dog thinks it is a fun game - you need to make it undeniably uncomfortable so that the notion of playing a game of "nipping" never occurs to him anymore. Most people are uncomfortable with making their dog uncomfortable and so the dog persists with the game and may even escalate the behavior to elicit more "corrections" which he views as part of the game.
Whether it's a knee in the chest or squeezing those tender paws, he should accompany those actions with a command--> No! and perhaps a follow up command to SIT!

Same for the nipping crap- take your pointing finger, extend it out like you're pointing, hold it rigidly and tap on the nose commanding No, no!. May take a few REPS a little harder each time until the lightbulb comes on and pup associates no! with the action, and the pressure.

Pup will think you're playing the first time you do it- need REPS.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 am

Swampbilly wrote:
slistoe wrote:There are two problems here - the jumping and the nipping. The jumping has been addressed, but a knee to the chest won't stop the nipping. The dog thinks it is a fun game - you need to make it undeniably uncomfortable so that the notion of playing a game of "nipping" never occurs to him anymore. Most people are uncomfortable with making their dog uncomfortable and so the dog persists with the game and may even escalate the behavior to elicit more "corrections" which he views as part of the game.
Whether it's a knee in the chest or squeezing those tender paws, he should accompany those actions with a command--> No! and perhaps a follow up command to SIT!

Same for the nipping crap- take your pointing finger, extend it out like you're pointing, hold it rigidly and tap on the nose commanding No, no!. May take a few REPS a little harder each time until the lightbulb comes on and pup associates no! with the action, and the pressure.

Pup will think you're playing the first time you do it- need REPS.
+1. You can also squeeze the jowls very hard. Dig his upper lips into his teeth commanding NO! Don't let the dog run the house; you're the boss, not a 30# hooligan.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:56 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I think you use all these ideas along with a few others. When the pup puts his paws on her, get her to step on pups rear feet. Huntsmith has a technique that starts on the chain gang. When you approach the pup on the CG his natural instinct is to jump up and down. Don't take him off or pet him when he is doing that. Take a step or two back until he stops jumping then take a step forward when he stops. If he starts jumping again (and he will) take a step or two backwards until he stops. Repeat the process until he stands still then finally approach him, pet him and take him off the CG. Be prepared to spend a little time on this drill as you will sometimes need to repeat the process many times before they "get it".
Sounds like a good common sense approach. What's your opinion on using an e-collar to correct the problem? My Britt sometimes thinks counter surfing is ok, but he won't do it when we are around and his collar is on.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Place a few clean mouse traps along the edge of the counter where he can get his toes snapped or at least knock them off with the hope it scares him. The other thing it does is alert you that he did it and he will figure it out that you will be coming with some sort of discipline.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

walkos5

Post by walkos5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Place a few clean mouse traps along the edge of the counter where he can get his toes snapped or at least knock them off with the hope it scares him. The other thing it does is alert you that he did it and he will figure it out that you will be coming with some sort of discipline.

Ezzy
Never thought about mouse traps, sounds like a good idea, because its usually when no one is watching him that he sneaks in the kitchen in hopes that someone left something within his reach.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
Swampbilly wrote:Catch both paws in both hands and squeeze, while pulling the dog down commanding NO!. May take a few REPS, but pup will learn soon, (very soon), that jumping up on someone isn't a real good idea.
Finally the right answer.
Del Lolo, there is more than one right answer here :) I personally use the knee to the chest but some of these other methods will work also. Except for the one where you yell "ouch" :lol: I think the tree huggers must have come up with this.

Respectfully,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:57 pm

I used mouse traps on my shorthair and it worked like a charm. I would put a piece of paper or cardboard on them so that it made a lot of noise and threw something in the air. I also used them to keep her off of the couch. Now she just stands on her back feet and looks to see what is on the counter but NEVER touches it.

John
walkos5 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Place a few clean mouse traps along the edge of the counter where he can get his toes snapped or at least knock them off with the hope it scares him. The other thing it does is alert you that he did it and he will figure it out that you will be coming with some sort of discipline.

Ezzy
Never thought about mouse traps, sounds like a good idea, because its usually when no one is watching him that he sneaks in the kitchen in hopes that someone left something within his reach.