Best e-collar with locate and vibrate...not Tritronics..!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello, I am looking to buy my second training collar, I bought one in 93, a DT Systems that was primitive by todays standards, but effective. Many people are recommending several Tritronics brands, which may be great collars, but are no longer in production as Tritronics has been bought by Garmin, and future service and parts are an unknown. It also seems that the Sportdog brands are having lots of problems as well, though service seems adequate, I really do not want service, I want a working collar. So the way I see it I am limited to DT or Dogtra, anyone have any really bad or good things to say about any of these two collars for a GSP? or another brand that I should be looking at? Thanks http://dtsystems.com/products/remote-tr ... t/spt-2430 or http://shop.dogtra.com/2500t-b-training-and-beeper/

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Best e-collar with locate and vibrate...not Tritronics..!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Though they are all made over seas now But the Tri Tronics is being manufactured in Garmin owned facilities. The engineering dept is still in Tucson. We can thank much of the American Way being tossed under the bus with Mandated BS for this. Pretty sad when it is easier to make things over seas then it is to do it here.. Anyways good luck in your quest
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 pm

I bought a DT collar several months ago. I like it so far. I used TT for many years. If DT holds up to every day use and abuse from me they will have my business

Mo

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

FWIW, I had problems with 2 different DT systems, although it was several years ago. I have been using TT for the last few years and very happy with it but have heard very good reviews on the Dogtra collars.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Though they are all made over seas now But the Tri Tronics is being manufactured in Garmin owned facilities. The engineering dept is still in Tucson. We can thank much of the American Way being tossed under the bus with Mandated BS for this. Pretty sad when it is easier to make things over seas then it is to do it here.. Anyways good luck in your quest
Seems my task just got harder as the Garmin version of a locate collar just went on sale, however I can't ask for reviews of a collar that no one has yet, and even after they do, how long will it last? Don't get me wrong I have a Garmin fishfinder on my boat and it is reliable, I will be buying a GPS unit next season. As for Garmin manufacturing tritronics, I find this questionable, they bought the company to get a foothold in the field, their new GPS and Delta series collars carry the Garmin name, my guess is that when the Tritronics stock is gone, it's gone, but that is just my guess. As for made in America, as apple pie as I am, the fact is that if something is really important to you, then you demand the best, not the best made in America, I learned that from my Father who cursed Chrysler, then bought another one, and cursed that too, seems he had company as the company went belly up, twice. I wanted the best pointer, American made was not, nor is it even a choice, my choices were German, English, Hungarian or Dutch. Thanks for the input.....

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

birddogger wrote:FWIW, I had problems with 2 different DT systems, although it was several years ago. I have been using TT for the last few years and very happy with it but have heard very good reviews on the Dogtra collars.

Charlie
Tritronics no longer exist, it has been absorbed by Garmin, though previously existing stock still exist, and is for sale. After that, no one knows. What problems did you have with DT? you are the first person that I have come across to have a bad word about their collars, my batteries leaked, but that was after 13 or more years in storage, I might be able to get new ones, but the collar is obsolete. I hope someone puts some info on the new Garmin Delta Upland, because it might be an option, though without real time field testing I am not sure that I can take the plunge, that said Garmin might just add some new tech, and if they drop the prices on the GPS units, then every high end collar will need GPS and a touchscreen to be competitive, I would consider a GPS unit myself if trees were not a factor in reception, and one day soon they may not be, I lose GPS contact often in forest areas in my vehicles..... I am not sure that there is an answer here, but thanks anyway....

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Dogtra has a upland collar beepers that has worked for my husband for 4 years now on guided hunts.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:55 am

pointstar wrote:
birddogger wrote:FWIW, I had problems with 2 different DT systems, although it was several years ago. I have been using TT for the last few years and very happy with it but have heard very good reviews on the Dogtra collars.

Charlie
Tritronics no longer exist, it has been absorbed by Garmin, though previously existing stock still exist, and is for sale. After that, no one knows. What problems did you have with DT? you are the first person that I have come across to have a bad word about their collars, my batteries leaked, but that was after 13 or more years in storage, I might be able to get new ones, but the collar is obsolete. I hope someone puts some info on the new Garmin Delta Upland, because it might be an option, though without real time field testing I am not sure that I can take the plunge, that said Garmin might just add some new tech, and if they drop the prices on the GPS units, then every high end collar will need GPS and a touchscreen to be competitive, I would consider a GPS unit myself if trees were not a factor in reception, and one day soon they may not be, I lose GPS contact often in forest areas in my vehicles..... I am not sure that there is an answer here, but thanks anyway....
I first bought a DT and after a few months, it just quit working. To their credit, they replaced it, but the second one did the same thing. I then went with Sport dog....kept having to replace them because they wouldn't hold a charge. After the third one, I gave up. I got the TT pro 100 and never looked back. Have had it several years, with no problems and love it. I doubt that Garmin taking over will affect the quality but I am not trying to advise you. I am just relating my experience. I know people who have the other brands I mentioned and have had no problems. Just giving you something to think about.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 am

mountaindogs wrote:Dogtra has a upland collar beepers that has worked for my husband for 4 years now on guided hunts.
Thanks mountaindogs, first let me say that your dogs are really beautiful, the photo of the jumper is gorgeous. As for collars, the Dogtra version is on my list of three, 4 years is about the training time for three dogs for me, I have not heard much either way about Dogtra collars, so thanks for the input.......

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:00 am

I have owned a Dogtra 2500 T&B for the last four years and can offer the following:

- The collar holds a charge very well, the handheld unit holds a charge exceptional.
- The collar is rugged, durable & dependable.
- The handheld unit is very simple/easy to use & very intuitive in it's user interface.
- The higher toned (louder) beep can be heard about 400 yards out
- The 127 different stimulation levels offers a broad spectrum for correction severity.
- The lower toned (quieter) beep is perfect for woodcock/grouse hunting when used in
"locate" mode to manually get a 20 on your dog without spooking birds.

I now have a second dog and if I could work an upgrade for a Dogtra 2502 T&B two-dog
unit at a reasonable upgrade cost (sorry, but Collar Clinic just wants to bend you over),
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 am

I have u onessed Dogtra 2500 2 dog units for years, first had the original ones then upgraded to the new model with the screen on the xmiter, also have a 1 dog model for when I just hunt one dog. Absolutely no problems. These are the ones with the beebers. Use them 3 to 5 days a week. 2 hour charge. I would highly recommend them.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

If I was looking for a collar and Garmin/Tritronics had what I wanted I'd get it. Garmin has been around a long time. I've had TT, Dogtra and DT collar's, they all worked fine. I got a Sport Dog tracking collar and wwill never buy another Sport Dog product knowingly. I say that because I recently got a new Roy Gonia whistle, they are made by Sport Dog now. Sport Dog's service is very good, all except the part where you want your money back. Very friendly service people. They give it their best shot to fix the problem on the phone and then just send you another product, for me it was another product that doesn't work, four times in a row!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 pm

GrayDawg wrote:I have owned a Dogtra 2500 T&B for the last four years and can offer the following:

- The collar holds a charge very well, the handheld unit holds a charge exceptional.
- The collar is rugged, durable & dependable.
- The handheld unit is very simple/easy to use & very intuitive in it's user interface.
- The higher toned (louder) beep can be heard about 400 yards out
- The 127 different stimulation levels offers a broad spectrum for correction severity.
- The lower toned (quieter) beep is perfect for woodcock/grouse hunting when used in
"locate" mode to manually get a 20 on your dog without spooking birds.

I now have a second dog and if I could work an upgrade for a Dogtra 2502 T&B two-dog
unit at a reasonable upgrade cost (sorry, but Collar Clinic just wants to bend you over),
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Rob
Thanks Rob, again that is a beautiful animal there, 127 levels may seem like too many, but here, less is clearly more and the Dogtra system seems to have the most low end choices, this brand is high on my list.....I also am looking ahead to having a two dog model, but may actually opt for a second brand of collar and carry two separate units, because no two dogs are equal and this would allow me more flexibility in training. Thanks again

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm

I've owned a DT SPT series collar for 7+ years. Just had it reconditioned by Collar Clinic after I dropped it and broke the screen. I love it!

Nitrex

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 pm

DonF wrote:If I was looking for a collar and Garmin/Tritronics had what I wanted I'd get it. Garmin has been around a long time. I've had TT, Dogtra and DT collar's, they all worked fine. I got a Sport Dog tracking collar and wwill never buy another Sport Dog product knowingly. I say that because I recently got a new Roy Gonia whistle, they are made by Sport Dog now. Sport Dog's service is very good, all except the part where you want your money back. Very friendly service people. They give it their best shot to fix the problem on the phone and then just send you another product, for me it was another product that doesn't work, four times in a row!
I agree, Garmin is looking forward, I just wish the new Garmin unit that went on sale recently, went on sale last year at this time so I could get some feedback. As for Sportdog, thank you for the info, it seems to be a broken record, so I have scratched them.......

pointstar

Post by pointstar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm

nitrex wrote:I've owned a DT SPT series collar for 7+ years. Just had it reconditioned by Collar Clinic after I dropped it and broke the screen. I love it!

Nitrex
Thanks for your input. My DT was excellent in it's day too, I do like the jump feature on the new ones as this allows the user to use less stimulation for general training and have a stop feature for when the dog eats the wrong stuff like mine did the other day, she got happy and ate some kind of budding swamp fuzz pod plant, I knew it was bad, she was choking and gagging for twenty minutes shortly after, we were both scared to say the least. The thing is that she has no idea what happened to her, with a collar she might well avoid that plant in the future, or say a snake, which was probably there as well.... I think I'm down to DT or Dogtra with Garmin as a wildcard Thanks again

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I can't fortell the future, but I believe that Tri-tronics will continue to make, sell, and warrant their products.

T-T is the best, Garmin as an owning partner, only makes them better.

My collars have worked flawlessly for 5 years, are now out of warranty, if they do need service there is always The Collar Clinic.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm

One question I havent heard yet is why is the vibrate function a requirement? Seriously why would you ever spend the money to add the vibrate mode when a simple nick can achieve the same thing? 2 dog models, vibrate models, and tracking models are achieving only one thing, buying into the myth that all of the above is NEEDED. There are plenty of folks still using collars that only shock with MUCH better dogs that any of us can dream of. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 pm

topher40 wrote:One question I havent heard yet is why is the vibrate function a requirement? Seriously why would you ever spend the money to add the vibrate mode when a simple nick can achieve the same thing? 2 dog models, vibrate models, and tracking models are achieving only one thing, buying into the myth that all of the above is NEEDED. There are plenty of folks still using collars that only shock with MUCH better dogs that any of us can dream of. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I could agree if you left the tracking part out. I have spent my last sleepless night worrying about a lost dog.

I have never known a deer to bring a dog back.

Neil

BTW - the hunting dog and gun dog in Field Trials are much more likely to be lost, than an All-Age.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm

I do use a tracker collar to guard against a lost dog. The vibrate function is like kissing your sister, it may be fun but serves no purpose.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 pm

My GSP responds great to the vibrate on her Dogtra collar, I think it's the best one for the money, 1/2 mile, waterproof, saltwater approved, and I love the stimulation adjustability from 0-100. Typically I keep it on 20% and never over 40%. I've tried a sportdog and a dt but the dogtra is the best in my opinion

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:09 pm

I have used only Dogtra collars for the past 6-8 years and have been very happy. They have held up well and the service (lost antennae and broken toggle switch) has been fast and reliable. I have the simpler models with just continuous, momentary and vibration. I find they have all the power I need for my dogs. I do believe that TT makes a more powerful collar and together with Garmin seem to be bringing out the new state of the art products....but they are also at state of the art prices.

I am a serious amateur..if I were a pro or a big time amateur, I would probably go with TT.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 am

I think Garmin bought TT for their market share and technology. I also think Garmin will keep TT intact as a division. As for keep. the existing products, my bet is they will be kept until better products supersede them.

My put on the best collar for locate or stimulate is the Garmin Alpha. Nothing more pleasant to me than a silent hunt. I can see direction, distance, speed, and give turn commands thru the very low tone without laying on a whistle. Sometimes a whistle is necessary for the dog to locate me, but its minimized at least.

My vote on the best features on a yard training collar goes to the DT Systems SPT 2420 with the stimulation, jump and rise features. The Tritronics Pro line gets my vote as the best execution of a design as it is built stout with excellent components. If these two collars could be melded with the features of the DT and the build quality of the TT, I'd be first in line for one. As it stands today, I have both plus the Garmin. The TT gets used for everyday walks/excursions and the DT for yard work and the Garmin for hunting.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Baffles me why in the world would think that a company that leads the world in GPS technology and makes the best systems on the market, would do ANYTHING but make the TT systems even better if that's possible. I would have absolutely no qualms about buying anything Garmin makes.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:03 pm

TT's are my favorite because, no matter how many numbers the other collars have (127 or whatever), a TT collar has the lowest level of stimulation and also the highest level. They are sturdy and don't require much repair (at least in the last 14 years I've owned mine).

And I do use vibrate on the old dogs now - I do it instead of using a stimulation when I want them to come in to me.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 pm

What model tt do you have? I don't know of any with vibrate. Only tone.

Doug

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 am

topher40 wrote:I do use a tracker collar to guard against a lost dog. The vibrate function is like kissing your sister, it may be fun but serves no purpose.

I love the vibrate on my Dogtra 3500 NCP, my dog responds better to the vibrate than a nick when I need to turn her. I use the vibrate for recall too.

LAboykin

Post by LAboykin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:09 pm

I picked up a sportdog 425 a couple weeks back... haven't had any problems with it yet... seems to have a pretty good battery life as well and charges pretty quickly (~2 hour to fully charge)