pup pointing close

big_fish

pup pointing close

Post by big_fish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:40 pm

It seems that with every bird my pup is pointing them closer and closer should I be worried or just wait until he starts bumping them and get the launcher out? or start with the launcher before he gets to bumping them? he just turned 11 months.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

smittty

Re: pup pointing close

Post by smittty » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:52 pm

yup launcher.. as soon as he gets scent pop em it won't take long he'll get it

clink83

Post by clink83 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 pm

What kind of birds? Are you using a training plan?
If you're hunting wild birds I wouldn't worry about it. If he holds his birds shoot them, and if he doesn't don't shoot them.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Yep if it's wild birds, don't sweat it. If it's training birds, take the trainer aside and talk to him! :) If it is training birds. the dog should not be allowed to get closer without being told to. Remote time!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:39 am

the birds are released pheasants on our hunt club he was pointing some birds at as far as 10 yards and some at 3 feet. I have been following the program by Charlie Journy "GUN DOG". I had him on pigeons in the launcher this morning and he was pointing at a good distance and with the pigeons as well as the pheasants he will hold his point and let me go in for the flush and when we flush we shoot the bird for him if he bust them it is no bird. Im going to work him on a few more pigeons this evening and hunt again in the morning and see if he is doing any better.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am

Young dogs need to figure out how their nose works. If he is stoping on first scent no matter 20 yards or 2 feet you have a good thing. If he points at 20 yards and creeps up to 2 feet you have a problem. Good advice in popping the bird in first scent. Gets them staunch in a hurry. Good luck with your pup and you are on the right path of killing all solid points.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

A lilies game I play is to try and pop the bird before the dog establishes point. Play this game for a week and you will be surprised just how far away a dog actually scents birds.

I do this as a tune-up with broke dogs going into a test or trial.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 pm

When a dog scents a bird and goes from hunting mode to making a straight line to where they scent the bird Time to launch or control the dog from making beelines into the birds

Another thing that can sometimes lead to this is how pups are check corded..I all to often see people lead their dogs to the birds and not the scent cone of the bird..thus unwittingly teaching them to road in or go into the birds.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:46 pm

big_fish wrote:the birds are released pheasants on our hunt club he was pointing some birds at as far as 10 yards and some at 3 feet. I have been following the program by Charlie Journy "GUN DOG". I had him on pigeons in the launcher this morning and he was pointing at a good distance and with the pigeons as well as the pheasants he will hold his point and let me go in for the flush and when we flush we shoot the bird for him if he bust them it is no bird. Im going to work him on a few more pigeons this evening and hunt again in the morning and see if he is doing any better.
released birds on a preserve can be the absolutely worst birds to work a young untrained dog on. Some don't fly to well and your not gonna find that out till to late. Other's might no fly off very far and the dog can catch it. Another problem you'll find out to late. Huge difference between wild and farm birds, huge difference.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Sounds like you folks would have launched this covey of huns from 200yds! :lol: :lol:

https://www.vimeo.com/68165327

If they don't put the birds in the air they aren't doing anything wrong are they!? :wink:

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 pm

we live in eastern ohio so no wild birds for us other than woodcock and the rare grouse(seen 2 in7 years) so we have to work on released birds and pigeons. we are taking a brake from hunting and going to work with the pigeons for a week.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Honestly I think you're just going to cause more problems doing drills with launchers. You taught the dog his job is to point birds and let you flush him, the rest is going to be between the dog and bird. I've seen my dog point wild chuker at 40 yards and in the same week sight point two pen raised pheasants at two feet. As long as the dog is holding the birds he's doing his job IMO.