Training High Strung Setter Pups

birddog98

Training High Strung Setter Pups

Post by birddog98 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I have always worked close working setters and usually had my own way with training them etc or heck I was lucky and they have all been naturals which I know the case is not, my problem now I have two young about 3.5 months old Field Setter pups very high energy, they point should know the word whoa but in field like they don't listen, which i cant stand when they know it and when they are in field they will point beautiful but then want to jump in any advise etc do I flush right when they are getting the scent etc before they can jump in..jusy a complete different line for me...thanks

SCT

Re: Training High Strung Setter Pups

Post by SCT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 pm

3.5 months old????? They're babies! You might try letting them be puppies :(

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:06 pm

Good point maybe for this line......I have hunted birds over 4 month old Rymans and Llewellins but that is me and of course these were not steady wing and shot but to flush but for the most part a more mellow pup close working gun dog...Thanks

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 pm

So letting them be pups what would you suggest if you don't mind me asking? Thanks in advance.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 am

That is pretty young. I would take them hunting and shoot every bird I could for them this season, but that is me. If I wanted them closer I would try to keep them in a bit and was worried about their bird work at that age I would only shoot birds they let me flush.

I would hunt them one at a time. I am not sure what you are getting at about launching when they are getting scent. If you are using launchers just launch when they try to jump in.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:14 am

You want to hunt 14 week old babies!?! Holy schneikies!!!

It doesn't matter what you've done with previous dogs. You have to work with the dogs you have now.

At 3 1/2 months their world should be all sunshine and roses, not rainclouds and thunder from you. Take them happy-timing, let them run to their hearts' content, and bump and chase all they want. They will show you when they are ready for more BUT you have to watch for the clues.

You have all spring and summer to get them ready for next fall.

Lighten up and have fun with them. Good luck.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:17 am

birddig, flip it around. You are worried about what YOU think they should be doing...let THEM tell you when they are ready. 3.5 MONTH old pups are like grade school kids who have a little freedom. Sure they KNOW what NO means but they do not always listen to their parents.

These pups are PUPS for only a small part of their lives...let them be PUPS or you will regret it in the long run. I have 4 month old setter from "field trial lines" here right now. All he is is a rebel that LOVES to play, chase rabbits, song bids and play grab a$$ with the other dogs. We walk through the neighborhood, expose him to EVERYTHING, let him have FUN, learn what kennel means, take him on rides in the truck and let him have FUN. There is NO WAY in he!! I would be worried about making him whoa or standing for flush. I have not even put him on the ground yet.
2013-08-17 Male Pup.jpg
TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT WORRY! Let them be pups and rebels...especially a setter...they can "develop" later/longer than others. Good luck...got any picts of these rebels :) ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:27 am

You are getting some good advice.

My younger dog was standing his birds at 3 months, but he was not really ready physically/ mentally. I waited until he was 6 months to hunt him. But each dog will be different.

I can tell you from experience, going to fast with a dog, is much slower in the long run. You also run the chance of knocking the style out of the dog if you push too hard,

Have Fun and enjoy the ride.
Steve

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 am

Agree with all the above including what winchey said about working one at a time. Intro to birds is great but forget about hunting/training, other than low pressure obedience. Let them have fun and socialize around people, other dogs and different environments. All this is what is meant by letting them be puppies and don't try to compare them to dogs you have had in the past! They are all different. They sound to me like normal puppies with good instincts and a lot of prey drive. Take your time and let them develop. I bet they are going to make fine bird dogs.; :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:52 am

Winchey wrote:That is pretty young. I would take them hunting and shoot every bird I could for them this season, but that is me. If I wanted them closer I would try to keep them in a bit and was worried about their bird work at that age I would only shoot birds they let me flush.

I would hunt them one at a time. I am not sure what you are getting at about launching when they are getting scent. If you are using launchers just launch when they try to jump in.

I would agree with the first pat...let them be puppies and hunt them if you choose. There is nothing better for a young bird dog than to go afield to find birds.

on the second part That is a NO...NOO...NOOOOO.

Do NOT launch birds when the pup tries to jump in. That is too late already. A launcher in the face is one of the very best ways to screw up a dog and make it blink birds. If your timing is off just a fraction of a second...that is precisely what you will do... screw the dog up.

IN ABOUT 6 - 12 MONTHS...when the pup tell you it is ready, bring out the launchers and bring the pup in crosswind. I do this initially with the trainee on a checkcord. The instant the dog signals that it has detected scent...launch the bird and hold the checkcord. The pup will turn its head, raise its head, track toward the scent, or any combination of the above. If it stops and stands...great. if it moves in toward the launcher...up goes the bird.

When you are hunting them in the field, I also agree and suggest that you do so, one at a time. The dog will learn to look for you and stay with you...not its kennelmate.

RayG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:16 pm

I also agree with Ray on the launcher advise.

Charlie

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! I said launchers more of a kick cage type of deal or a hobble...Put good advise and thanks...Will download some pics

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm

here is one female
1391729_839606776102_2077032406_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:09 pm

and another female

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 am

Very nice!! :D

Charlie

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks they are getting better running them with out the check cord kinda like speed demons but that is ok..