Protective of crate

Weather Man

Protective of crate

Post by Weather Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 pm

I have a vizsla that is almost a year old. She tends to be very protective of her crate around strangers. She is also being very protective of my wife and I while we are sitting down. My mother in law (of all people) who my dog has met and is very happy to see almost daily went to sit down on the couch next to my wife and the dog snapped at her. She didn't growl and show teeth she just snapped her jaw like she was going to bite her. Am I creating a dog that will be this way all the time? Is there something I can do to curb her protectiveness?

Thanks in advance
Weather Man

MikeB

Re: Protective of crate

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am

When your mother-in-law sat down where was the dog? On the couch or on the floor? Really doesn't matter... to solve this problem I would have your M-I-L walk the dog and run the dog through the obedience commands it knows. That is if your M-I-L is physically able to do it. When the dog learns to work with her she won't challenge her. It's all about earning respect on the dogs part.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Wow. Very unusual for a Vizsla. Personally I think it is all right for a dog to be protective of its home/crate, (We are.) but NEVER people. Some firm discipline is needed in that situation with Mom and any other folks too. I'd make a big scene about that with the dog - don't be gentle. I'd also restrict the dog some - not allowed on the furniture.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:08 pm

IMO,
It's nothing to do with the breed as some may suggest because you have a Vizsla ?- The situation you describe is less common in all Large dogs for the simple reason that 'most' owners don't have a large enough couch! :lol:
More common in smaller breeds , as owners ''ALLOW'' the little ones that 'space'!?
The settee ain't the bed and it certainly ain't the dog's space! ,,So no matter the Mother in Law or The tax inspector the dog don't care who! ....Only You?
How about?...instead of all nicey stuff with your Mother in Law?...You just teach the dog to sit on floor no-matter who is in the room :wink:

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:29 pm

personally, I dislike dogs that are all growly in their crate. To me it shows a suspicious dog, a worried dog and one trying to scare you away by being all stupid and cage brave. And I absolutely hate dogs that just scream at you when you walk past them on stake outs or in a crate.
And as far as being very protective of you ..... your dog can be protective when you say so. They don't get to make those decisions! Especially in your home, on your couch, and to someone you have invited in!!!!!!!

I'd be very concerned and begin a new home routine if it were my dog.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Try NILIF for your dog - nothing in life is free. It's a decent system that helps to deal with "resource guarding." Which is what it sounds like your pup is developing! Nip it, nip it in the bud!

Weather Man

Post by Weather Man » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the great responses. I thought that her being on the couch was the root to that problem. I have been working on it all week and keeping her off the couch seems to have made a huge improvement.

She has never been protective of her crate towards me or my wife it's mostly our indoor cats. So I am sure the crate being her sanctuary is what it is. I just don't want to find out that she is protective over her crate towards humans if we have a child and they put a hand in the crate and get snapped at or such.

Thanks again
Weather Man

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Crate aggression or "cage aggression" is a pain in the a$$! If you can turn it around now I would. Later the snaps and bites when you are reaching in to snap on or off a leash, the vet has to sedate or catch pole the dog if they should get sick or need surgery. It might even get to where the dog defends a large kennel and you walk in to feed or clean and get bitten.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:38 pm

My solution may sound a bit overly aggressive, but if I were to see it happen again, Id have a come to Jesus meeting with the dog. Make one helluva scene, grab the dog by the throat/neck and flip it on its back and make all kinds of noise letting this dog know if F'd up, I wouldnt hesitate to put your mouth on its throat, scream in its face etc, at the very least, have your hand around its throat/neck area softly and straddle it sitting over it. The dog will only let you do this if you have firmly established you are the alpha. If it fights you, fight it back a bit, it will either subside or if it keeps fighting you, then you have some work to do to establish you are the #1 in the pecking order in the house.

Some may not agree and I may sound crazy but that works or at least it has for me. Id never physically hurt or beat the dog, you're just speaking its language and letting it know you are the alpha, it shouldnt get to decide much if anything without your approval. I hate aggressive dogs and ill mannered dogs as others have described above and think its normally a problem created by their owners, usually unknowingly.

As others have stated, that will be a big big problem and one you could regret later.

Maybe try some other stuff to enforce your dominance such as not letting the dog eat until you release it to do so, if you give it a treat or a table scrap, not letting it eat until you release it, never let it come in the door of the house until you release it to, you going in first etc. (Not letting it come inside until you release it really helps avoid a muddy paw print mess) (These things I just listed I always do from the time the dog is a puppy so if I ever need a major correction like I describe above, it makes it all the more effective).

Maybe when the dog is in its crate, pull it out at a random time and flip it on its back while you are in a dominant position, try it when theres company there too. Mix it up.

Id definitely figure it out soon. Best of luck.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 am

The above method can backfire. I've seen it happen. Just sayin'.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:30 pm

For crate aggression I reward success, searching for ways to set up success so I can reward it. Usually it is mildly fear based as dogs fear being trapped or cornered. You can accidentally but quickly convince them they were right to be fearful if you are not careful.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 pm

agree with Mtdogs on this one. Going nuts on the dog will surely not turn out well, especially with a Viz! If it's the cat setting her off, then set her up! Can you crate the cat? If so, crate her up right in front of the V's crate. When the dog is quiet and relaxes, remove cat and crate, let dog out and praise. But as long as dog is being stupid, cat stays. Let her learn that being calm and quiet get her what she wants, not noisy and crazed.

Sorry for the cat, but they have to learn to get along, dog has to learn no aggression in crate. It's sort of like the mailman.... he comes to the door, dog rushes door and is stupid, mailman leaves! Works like a charm from the dogs point of view. I bark, bad guy leaves!

But stay on it! I think you are wise to fear a baby in the mix and allowing this to continue. Remember, all it takes is one bite for Viz to be gone. No one wants that!
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

huntinfool530

Post by huntinfool530 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:10 pm

You might try taking the dog out and socializing it more out of the home first then in the home, the more social it will be more confident and not feel as treatened. I'm not an expert but i had the same problem with a female red tick/walker hound i had. And firm discipline. hope it helps