Higgins pack leader leash review

kdave21

Higgins pack leader leash review

Post by kdave21 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 am

When I was first researching this training leash I didn't find much about it, so I thought it might be helpful to post a review of it myself.

Brad Higgins sells this leash on his website. He has a video on YouTube showing how to use it. I have to say, this leash is amazing. It is simple to use. I have now used it probably about 3 times. The first time I used it, it probably took a couple of minutes for my dog to figure it out. Once he figured it out, he stopped pulling and was very responsive to me. As an added bonus when I stop and he stops, he will sit much more readily then he would have before. If he doesn't sit when I tell him to, I simply apply a slight upward pressure on the leash, and he will consistently sit immediately.

It's so easy it almost feels like cheating. I have no ties to this company or its products. I only wanted to share my experience since I haven't found much about it in the forum. Also I forgot to mention, it is very affordable which is nice.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Higgins pack leader leash review

Post by DonF » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 pm

I never heard of this, had to look it up. It's another, I got a better idea, leash. Similar to the wonder lead. Sure they work but I doubt either is more effective than a reg leash and a choke collar. They are all tools and they will either succeed or fail depending on how they are used. Neither will do what the other won't do nor what the choke collar and standard leash won't do. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different ways to get from point A to point B. Your success will be determined by how well you follow the chosen plan rather than what plan you use.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Lander

Post by Lander » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:52 am

I'm interested in the Higgins gun dog training and was wondering who else has done his training. Do you like it? Did it work well for you?

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 pm

I never heard of this, had to look it up. It's another, I got a better idea, leash. Similar to the wonder lead. Sure they work but I doubt either is more effective than a reg leash and a choke collar. They are all tools and they will either succeed or fail depending on how they are used. Neither will do what the other won't do nor what the choke collar and standard leash won't do. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different ways to get from point A to point B. Your success will be determined by how well you follow the chosen plan rather than what plan you use.
Im not trying to convince anyone that their tool is deficent, or that this is the only way to skin a cat. It was simply intended as a courtesy to others who might be wondering about the product, nothing more or less. If you are happy with choke collar, more power to you. For walking the dog, teaching him about space and heeling, Ive had good luck with this. I really dont need a choke collar. I will be using a pinch collar for other tasks.
I'm interested in the Higgins gun dog training and was wondering who else has done his training. Do you like it? Did it work well for you?
I have not used his program, altho I have looked at his website and have thought that a lot of his ideas make sense. (I have been basing a lot of my training thoughts on Maurice Lindleys book). I did order one of Higgins releasers, which I think is pretty ingenious.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Watching the Brad Higgins video he is making the kennel lead into a head halter that is controled high up on the neck instead of controling the head from under the chin like the Gentle Leader or Halti brand of head halter. Most dogs fight the head halter until they get used to it. It's all about control and the dog learns he is NOT in control of the walk anymore.