Dilema

jwnissen

Dilema

Post by jwnissen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:19 pm

So I have a 2 yo shorthair who seems to have forgot everything we have taught her concerning house manners. We had a problem with her getting on the counters so we used mouse traps to break her of that and havent had a problem since. On Thanksgiving we had some people over and I couldnt keep her out of the kitchen and ultimately she found a box of cookies and chocolate and opened it. She was acting sneeky all night but I couldnt figure out why. So a lot of peroxide later, she threw it all up and all was fine. Fast forward to last night. My wife made some cookies (which were gleutin free and expensive, not to mention her favorite) and left them on the counter to cool. We went to dinner and left her in the house alone like we have done numeroous times before with no problems. This night she decided to eat half of her cookies. My wife was less than thrilled. My question it, should use the ecollar while she is in the house and not listening similar to the way I used it to help finish her recall? I want the collar to be a good thing and not a bad one. Will using it temporarily cause any problems? Im just trying to correct her defiant behavior. It almost seems like she is testing me again. Is this normal?

Thanks,
John

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dilema

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 pm

2 years old pretty much says it all :) Dogs don't stay the same. I'd be crating the dog when I go out , and even with my 8-13 year old dogs, I don't leave anything on the counter. They are dogs.

Could be worse ; my well house -trained 6 month old pup, has started lifting his leg on the other dogs' crates. Dogs are always changing. You will see changes regularly.

I don't use an e collar if I can get my hands on the dog , so I don't use one in the house. I don't use mousetraps as they can easily break a dog's toe.

"left them on the counter to cool. We went to dinner and left her in the house alone." quote

I can't think of a dog that could be trusted in this situation. Must have been too little to reach the counter before. :)

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I'd say you were lucky if the only damage your GSP did was to some cookies. We were gone once and the dogs were left outside. However, we neglected to lock the door so they figured out how to open it. Because we didn't think they would be in the house we left the dog gate open which enabled them to get downstairs where we kept dog food & supplements. They found the fish oil and chewed a hole in the bottle. They enjoyed that so much they opened the 2nd bottle as well. Then they proceeded to spread the oil around and walk in it as they lapped up as much as they could. When finished, they went up stairs leaving oily foot prints on the hardwood floors and then began to throw up the oil. The house stank for weeks. We couldn't get the oil out of the floors so had to sand them down and refinish. GSP's are opportunists for sure! :twisted: Crate or kennel the dog when not at home.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 am

I believe in the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of trouble". Over the years I have become better at anticipation with just about everything my dogs do. When I get lazy and don't anticipate I always pay the price. :|

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 am

Yes,i agree with all of the above posts.If you set your dog up to fail,they will rarely disapoint you.My dogs are 15 months old and i would never consider leaving them unattended in my house for any length of time.They would find something to destroy/eat as sure as the sun rises in the east.

I dont use my e-collar for in house discipline problems.An occasional come to jesus meeting usually is enough to keep them in check.

Crate your dog when you leave the house,and alot of problems disappear.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:51 am

IMO, dogs need to either be supervised or contained.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Del Lolo wrote:IMO, dogs need to either be supervised or contained.
This advice needs to be given to all dog owners. It applies in the house, in the yard, the truck, everywhere.

It is really that simple. Great advice.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Sharon wrote:2 years old pretty much says it all :) Dogs don't stay the same. I'd be crating the dog when I go out , and even with my 8-13 year old dogs, I don't leave anything on the counter. They are dogs.

Could be worse ; my well house -trained 6 month old pup, has started lifting his leg on the other dogs' crates. Dogs are always changing. You will see changes regularly.

I don't use an e collar if I can get my hands on the dog , so I don't use one in the house. I don't use mousetraps as they can easily break a dog's toe.

"left them on the counter to cool. We went to dinner and left her in the house alone." quote

I can't think of a dog that could be trusted in this situation. Must have been too little to reach the counter before. :)

edited for spelling
Nice post Sharon.

I would never use an ecollar for what the problem is. The right hand of their Father might sling a lightening bolt or two though.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 pm

LOL very funny . Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Well said, the only reason I suggested the collar is because she is smart enough and has faster reaction time than me so she is usually out of the way before I make contact!! :evil: I dont think she even feels pain!! When I do make contact she just flexes and hurts my hand. Thanks all for the advice. I thought she was doing well, I guess its time to lock her in the crate from not on.
gonehuntin' wrote:
Sharon wrote:2 years old pretty much says it all :) Dogs don't stay the same. I'd be crating the dog when I go out , and even with my 8-13 year old dogs, I don't leave anything on the counter. They are dogs.

edited for spelling
Nice post Sharon.

I would never use an ecollar for what the problem is. The right hand of their Father might sling a lightening bolt or two though.