need help training

jaholt

need help training

Post by jaholt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm 27 and I just got a Brit. He's only 4 months and I am trying to find advice on how and when to get him trained. I have introduced him to a pheasant wing and I'm trying to work with him on some puppy obedience. Some people have told me to get him in some classes and others have told me to do it myself. Also, he is a runner! I was advised to let him roam and enjoy being outside and in a field, up until he is a year old. Then start him out on an E-collar to keep him close. Basically I am lost as to knowing the best way to get his instincts kickin'. I want him to enjoy his puppy life with little stress but I guess I am a little eager to get him hunting. lol So any advice on these subjects would be GREATLY appreciated! Especially on the whole E collar thing. Is this safe with puppies? If so, how do I get started? Please help

CDN_Cocker

Re: need help training

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 am

Sounds like you're getting way ahead of yourself. He's only 4 months old. Let him be a pup. Teach him manners and basic puppy obedience and expose him to birds if you can. As for hunting, you won't be doing that till next season. E-collar he can wear but don't turn it on. He's too young for that kind of pressure.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Buy DVD perfect start.. Might as well get finish also. Nothing better for a pointing dog.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:28 pm

BellaSpinone wrote:Buy DVD perfect start.. Might as well get finish also. Nothing better for a pointing dog.
I started my pup at 5 months with perfect start and it was fun for both of us.

jaholt

Post by jaholt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

It does feel like I'm rushing things. And thanks for the DVD advice. Now, what about just letting him loose in a field? Should I can't just let him run and run or even have him on a lead. I would feel like I'm holding him back if I had him on a lead..and would feel unsafe I where he is if I just let him run. Or is this too soon to do?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 pm

On e-collars: It is vital that you understand the proper application of an e-collar before you strap it on your dog and start zapping away. It is a tool that can greatly increase training efficacy. But, indiscriminate and thoughtless stimulation is a great way to ruin a dog. Always remember that the collar is not doing the training, you are. I would suggest that you look at everything you can get your hands on pertaining to dog training. I would also advise you to find books/dvds that explain how dogs learn and the importance of things like timing, consistency and communication with your dog. If that information comes from a source other than a hunting dog resource, so be it. If you understand how dogs learn and are consistent in training, you will be able to teach your dog almost anything including bringing out the best in its innate abilities to hunt.

jaholt

Post by jaholt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Ya know, I never even thought of how a dog actually learns. How their brains work and attention and everything.... That makes so much sense. Thank you so much. I'm going to do my best.