Why do you Force Fetch?

EvanG

Why do you Force Fetch?

Post by EvanG » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:48 am

Just in case there are dog trainers lurking here I thought I'd cast some food for thought.

1. Do you force fetch?

2. Why do you force fetch?

3. What do you hope to gain from force fetching?

4. How do you go about it?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

BMURPH

Re: Why do you Force Fetch?

Post by BMURPH » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:37 am

I run GSPs and in the National Championship one of my dogs had a great run and they were not able to kill on course. They set up a call back situation. The bird lifted, gunner shot and advised that the bird was not down. Just after he said this the bird did go down and the judge instructed to send the dog. The bird wasn't dead and when the dog went to mouth it the bird slapped her in the face with its wings. My dog dropped the bird and would not pick it up. First time ever to not retrieve. She was disqualified. After this I had several professionals and seasoned amateurs come and talk to me telling me that I should force break. Since then I have done it to all my dogs and have had success with it. I start off with an ear pinch up on a work bench and switch to an e-collar. How long it takes has depended on the dog. If I was to stop trialing and just hunt I would still force fetch. After the initial introduction my dogs seem to like it and I have several that will jump up on the work bench when ever they are free in the garage. Wagging their tails the whole time!

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:13 pm

My pup loved to retrieve, but when it came to freshly killed birds she didn't want to pick them up. Then I noticed a lot of dogs mouthing the birds so I omitted retrieving from training until I could get that under control. I started with Dobbs Force Fetch video. Teaching hold. Once we got that down, the rest fell into place pretty quickly. When I started pile drives I found the smart fetch program to be more detailed. I'm not sure that I've done everything right, but I do have a dog that's very consistent in bringing me what I send her for and she will do it without seeing me throw. I like to hide bumpers in a field and then send her out to find them. One thing about FF is that it is a great obedience refresher as it uses Here, Heel & whoa as well as your send command.

Gooseman07

Why do you Force Fetch?

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 pm

EvanG wrote:Just in case there are dog trainers lurking here I thought I'd cast some food for thought.

1. Do you force fetch?

EvanG
1. Yes

2. To become more in tune with the dog and gain their respect

3. Respect and a better foundation for retrieving

4. Slow but fast enough to not allow for boredom

JD

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

EvanG wrote:Just in case there are dog trainers lurking here I thought I'd cast some food for thought.

1. Do you force fetch?

EvanG
1. Yes. Even if the dog is a natural. I still do it.

2. For consistant retrieves.Sucks to enter a test and have a dog refuse a retrieve. Also, as a team building exercise.

3. Strong bond between us. A mutual respect, and I am serious, it is mutual.

4. Both dogs I have done were different. I am no pro at it, but we have got it done and my dogs are reliable.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:43 pm

1. Do you force fetch?
Only when I find it absolutely necessary, I'm a pointing dog guy
The most common reason is hardmouth.
A dog that will retrieve game in a manner fit for human consumption.
I used to use a table and a toe hitch and worked my way through the progression (buck forced in mouth til he reaches for it, lower and lower until on the table, down the table and repeated on the ground). But, after a long discussion on clicker training on this forum I realized that it might be adapted to force fetch without the coerciveness I was taught by an old-time trainer. Low and behold it worked. That's how i will do it from now on.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:15 am

Munster wrote:1. Yes. Even if the dog is a natural. I still do it.

2. For consistant retrieves.Sucks to enter a test and have a dog refuse a retrieve. Also, as a team building exercise.

3. Strong bond between us. A mutual respect, and I am serious, it is mutual.

4. Both dogs I have done were different. I am no pro at it, but we have got it done and my dogs are reliable.
Excellent, thoughtful replies!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 am

whoadog wrote:1. Do you force fetch?
Only when I find it absolutely necessary, I'm a pointing dog guy
The most common reason is hardmouth.
A dog that will retrieve game in a manner fit for human consumption.
I used to use a table and a toe hitch and worked my way through the progression (buck forced in mouth til he reaches for it, lower and lower until on the table, down the table and repeated on the ground). But, after a long discussion on clicker training on this forum I realized that it might be adapted to force fetch without the coerciveness I was taught by an old-time trainer. Low and behold it worked. That's how i will do it from now on.
It's hard to respond accurately without being direct. All these responses reflect misconceptions about force fetch that are far too common, are antiquated, and woefully misguided. I don't mean this in a personal way, but here's what I mean.

1. Only when absolutely necessary: No training is necessary unless the individual has decided on personal requirements of a dog that dictate training. Force fetch isn't (or shouldn't) be viewed as a remedy for a defective dog. Appropriately applied, FF is insurance, not only against failures, but insurance of reliability and stability.
2. Hard mouth can sometimes be successfully addressed with FF techniques, but would more likely have been preempted by FF in the first place. See the difference?
3. This one comes closest to being accurate, but misses important points. Pressure conditioning for stability, well-groomed mouth habits, and so on are just a start.
4. If FF is attempted with so-called "positive-only" (clicker-type) methods the trainer is only kidding himself. Force fetch requires force in order to achieve its core benefits. But remember, the word "force" does not imply an amount.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm not a trainer so I won't respond to your 1-4 questions, although I would like to offer one of my own:
EvanG wrote: the word "force" does not imply an amount.

EvanG
with this in mind, do you find some dogs require different amounts of force during different training sessions? I'm asking because on any given task, my dog seems to respond better to small amounts of force some days, but then on other days she seems to respond better to more force. I'm probably misreading the dog, or maybe it's just because she's a moody female :wink:

Please forgive me if I'm disturbing this thread

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:22 pm

chevyrulz wrote:I'm not a trainer so I won't respond to your 1-4 questions, although I would like to offer one of my own:
EvanG wrote: the word "force" does not imply an amount.

EvanG
with this in mind, do you find some dogs require different amounts of force during different training sessions? I'm asking because on any given task, my dog seems to respond better to small amounts of force some days, but then on other days she seems to respond better to more force. I'm probably misreading the dog, or maybe it's just because she's a moody female :wink:

Please forgive me if I'm disturbing this thread
Not at all. Your question is welcome. I've found every one of them to require their own level of pressure, and that most of them actually require a rather small amount. One reason for that is because I approach it as a conditioning process, rather than using pressure to simply force a response. All questions are welcome.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:58 pm

EvanG wrote:4. If FF is attempted with so-called "positive-only" (clicker-type) methods the trainer is only kidding himself. Force fetch requires force in order to achieve its core benefits. But remember, the word "force" does not imply an amount.
I didn't say that I did not force the dog, only that I adapted a clicker program to suit my needs. I'd also say that for an owner training their personal gundog, and let's be clear I'm talking pointing breeds here which is my area of expertixe, that force-fetch to establish respect between dog and owner is a poor substitute for early and proper socialization of the dog. By the time I get to retrieving with the dogs I train the relationship is already built. My business is puppy training pointing breeds of gundogs and I do it very well.
EvanG wrote:Hard mouth can sometimes be successfully addressed with FF techniques, but would more likely have been preempted by FF in the first place. See the difference?
Sure I understand the difference. I will admit to not being an expert on FF here. But, you asked why, and I told you. Antiquated? Maybe. Meeting my customers needs? Absolutely! Please realize that I tend to get hardcases that usually have bad habits that need breaking. I did not start the problem, people are asking me to fix it. The only time I consider force-fetch is when someone has a dog that is eating birds. I usually try to refer that work to other people but sometimes dog owners are persuasive (read that willing to pay me more than it's worth) because they trust me. What we are usually looking at is not a complete trained retrieve that will win in trials but simply a good solid "hold". For that, the clicker training works better than any other method of coersive training IMHO.

By the way, your posting a response that says "excellent, thoughtful replies" to a post that agrees implicitly with what you have written and then taking my post apart without asking why I wrote what I wrote is hard not to take personally. Jumping to conclusions about why some one does what they do is asking for trouble.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 am

I do not train F.F. and I never find any need to . I just use or develop a pups natural retrieve instinct, so far doing this has worked out fine with springer spaniels, cocker spaniels, labs, brittanies, pointers , G.S.P.'s and a vizsla. At 13 months old my present Brittany pup is already retrieving pheasant runners.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 am

whoadog wrote:My business is puppy training pointing breeds of gundogs and I do it very well.
Of course I never said you didn't. I imagine you do. But that isn't an element of the discussion. I didn't initiate this discussion to debate whether or not everyone who trains dogs should force fetch, or to play verbal tennis over the various breed-specific notions. The questions asked were clearly aimed at those who do force fetch, i.e. the very first one; "Do you force fetch"? In brief, I'm not at all interested in the arguments of those who do not FF. That would be a different collection of discussions. This one is focused on force fetch, and is addressed clearly to those who use it.
EvanG wrote:Hard mouth can sometimes be successfully addressed with FF techniques, but would more likely have been preempted by FF in the first place. See the difference?
Sure I understand the difference. I will admit to not being an expert on FF here.[/quote]I gladly submit to the notion that there are things you are an expert at. There is nothing personal in this. It's a discussion of a process. Force fetch has long been a special area of expertise in my work, and I've used that skill and experience to advance the process. For trainers who use force fetch I'm interested in helping them to better understand it and its components and purposes.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 pm

EvanG wrote: Force fetch has long been a special area of expertise in my work, and I've used that skill and experience to advance the process. For trainers who use force fetch I'm interested in helping them to better understand it and its components and purposes.
I understand. But, you cherry-picked pieces of my post to suit your arguments and assumptions without asking me to expand my answers. I recognize that you are at a minimum the "local authority" on FF. Believe it or not, I have read more than one book on FF and have had hands on training with a retriever trainer with a national championship under his belt. I understand the concepts. You asked if there were any professionals who FF. I do FF. I get paid to train dogs, albeit it is not my primary income, so I assumed you were including trainers such as me in the discussion. If not, after this reply I will bow out.
Let me answer your questions again, this time with a better understanding of what you are actually asking:
1. Do you force fetch? Yes, about once a year.

2. Why do you force fetch? I only do it when it is insisted upon by a stubborn client(and subsequently paid for through the nose because I do not enjoy it) who will not accept a referral. There are others close by that this is their area of expertise and I do all I can to see that they do the work. So why don't I just refuse all FF work? I live in a small market with a customer base that is shrinking. Referrals from other clients is how I most often gain new clients. By outright refusing someone's buddy, I sometimes run the risk of losing two clients instead of losing just one. So, market conditions at this point in my career dictate what I sometimes do.

3. What do you hope to gain from force fetching? To fix a problem that was created by someone else's inept training and retain clientele.

4. How do you go about it? I follow a traditional progressive program starting out on a 16' table built specifically for FF about 15 years ago. When I began FF I used a toe hitch but have since graduated to an ecollar for the force part and have also recently incorporated some clicker work to my process. This has improved my results dramatically. Why? I believe because the dogs' can read my displeasure for the work I am doing and the clicker gives them a better idea that they have accomplished the task I am asking them to do. I know some of this does not fit your concepts of what FF should be. But it is also reality for many dogs and many dog trainers. Some of us don't get to start at square one with the animals we work with. The bad habits are already established and we are asked to fix them. Not only that, but the work usually does not need to be polished. Remember I work primarily with hunting dogs and my clientele quite often do not even recognize what "well-groomed mouth habits" are. Once again, I do not use FF to establish a relationship with a dog. I have other methods I believe work much earlier and fit my program much better. I believe that dog training starts even before the litter is whelped. I believe that training actually starts with the careful selection of a bitch and dog, especially the bitch by the way, for breeding. Why in the world would I wait until the dog is mature enough to start FF before I established a solid relationship in training when I believe good training starts before the pup is even born ? My replies may be antiquated and not excellent in the manner of Munster's, but they are definitely not without thought.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I do not train F.F. and I never find any need to . I just use or develop a pups natural retrieve instinct, so far doing this has worked out fine with springer spaniels, cocker spaniels, labs, brittanies, pointers , G.S.P.'s and a vizsla. At 13 months old my present Brittany pup is already retrieving pheasant runners.

Bill T.
Further explane "retrieving Pheasant runners"?
I think I know the UK definition of a pheasant runner, In the US it might mean something else, If my spaniel takes a runner it was before the shot was fired after the shot was fired I might say my dog retrieved a cripple.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:24 pm

In Britain the words "retrieving pheasant runners" or any kind of runners, would be taken to mean the dog has found and retrieved a bird still able to run from where it fell when shot . The other meaning of "runners" here can mean a bird that has ran from the point but if that is what was meant then that is what is said.

My Brittany finds, catches and retrieves wounded pheasants (runners) is what I meant.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:00 pm

whoadog wrote:
EvanG wrote: Force fetch has long been a special area of expertise in my work, and I've used that skill and experience to advance the process. For trainers who use force fetch I'm interested in helping them to better understand it and its components and purposes.
I understand. But, you cherry-picked pieces of my post to suit your arguments and assumptions without asking me to expand my answers. I recognize that you are at a minimum the "local authority" on FF. Believe it or not, I have read more than one book on FF and have had hands on training with a retriever trainer with a national championship under his belt. I understand the concepts. You asked if there were any professionals who FF. I do FF. I get paid to train dogs, albeit it is not my primary income, so I assumed you were including trainers such as me in the discussion. If not, after this reply I will bow out.
Let me answer your questions again, this time with a better understanding of what you are actually asking:
1. Do you force fetch? Yes, about once a year.

2. Why do you force fetch? I only do it when it is insisted upon by a stubborn client(and subsequently paid for through the nose because I do not enjoy it) who will not accept a referral. There are others close by that this is their area of expertise and I do all I can to see that they do the work. So why don't I just refuse all FF work? I live in a small market with a customer base that is shrinking. Referrals from other clients is how I most often gain new clients. By outright refusing someone's buddy, I sometimes run the risk of losing two clients instead of losing just one. So, market conditions at this point in my career dictate what I sometimes do.

3. What do you hope to gain from force fetching? To fix a problem that was created by someone else's inept training and retain clientele.

4. How do you go about it? I follow a traditional progressive program starting out on a 16' table built specifically for FF about 15 years ago. When I began FF I used a toe hitch but have since graduated to an ecollar for the force part and have also recently incorporated some clicker work to my process. This has improved my results dramatically. Why? I believe because the dogs' can read my displeasure for the work I am doing and the clicker gives them a better idea that they have accomplished the task I am asking them to do. I know some of this does not fit your concepts of what FF should be. But it is also reality for many dogs and many dog trainers. Some of us don't get to start at square one with the animals we work with. The bad habits are already established and we are asked to fix them. Not only that, but the work usually does not need to be polished. Remember I work primarily with hunting dogs and my clientele quite often do not even recognize what "well-groomed mouth habits" are. Once again, I do not use FF to establish a relationship with a dog. I have other methods I believe work much earlier and fit my program much better. I believe that dog training starts even before the litter is whelped. I believe that training actually starts with the careful selection of a bitch and dog, especiallcy the bitch by the way, for breeding. Why in the world would I wait until the dog is mature enough to start FF before I established a solid relationship in training when I believe good training starts before the pup is even born ? My replies may be antiquated and not excellent in the manner of Munster's, but they are definitely not without thought.
Whoadog, It sounds like your are a Pro. Do you have a website that I can read a little about your credentials and achievements?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes I do have a website. However, I have been discouraged from posting it on this forum in the past and will respect the moderator's request on that matter. However, I will update my profile so you can find it if you are interested.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:12 pm

whoadog wrote:Yes I do have a website. However, I have been discouraged from posting it on this forum in the past and will respect the moderator's request on that matter. However, I will update my profile so you can find it if you are interested.
Great! Thanks. :)

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 am

whoadog wrote:
I understand. But, you cherry-picked pieces of my post to suit your arguments and assumptions without asking me to expand my answers.
Guilty as charged. I apologize.
whoadog wrote: I recognize that you are at a minimum the "local authority" on FF.
In actuality I’m an international authority on it, and on retriever training in general, including the 2005 Australian National Champion. I don’t often mention this sort of thing, but I have offered respect for your professional status. I haven’t spent 35+ years at this for nothing.
whoadog wrote: Believe it or not, I have read more than one book on FF and have had hands on training with a retriever trainer with a national championship under his belt. I understand the concepts. You asked if there were any professionals who FF. I do FF. I get paid to train dogs, albeit it is not my primary income, so I assumed you were including trainers such as me in the discussion. If not, after this reply I will bow out.
I would prefer that, having done well in seeking out good information that you keep reading. Look what you have learned in your experience. Imagine what you might know next year? That’s the greatest thing about dog training. The learning never ends.
whoadog wrote: Let me answer your questions again, this time with a better understanding of what you are actually asking:

2. Why do you force fetch? I only do it when it is insisted upon by a stubborn client(and subsequently paid for through the nose because I do not enjoy it) who will not accept a referral
I’m cherry picking again, but I aim to make an important point. If such a dog were properly force fetched in the first place trainers wouldn’t have to use it as a cure. Modern force fetch is not designed as a cure, even though it can be applied as one. It is designed as a foundational process that ensures a lifetime of proper behavior and stability.
whoadog wrote: 3. What do you hope to gain from force fetching? To fix a problem that was created by someone else's inept training and retain clientele.
And that is an example of my point. Having established a trained baseline for a performance standard from the beginning, those problems would not exist.
whoadog wrote: 4. How do you go about it? I follow a traditional progressive program starting out on a 16' table built specifically for FF about 15 years ago. When I began FF I used a toe hitch but have since graduated to an ecollar for the force part and have also recently incorporated some clicker work to my process. This has improved my results dramatically. Why? I believe because the dogs' can read my displeasure for the work I am doing and the clicker gives them a better idea that they have accomplished the task I am asking them to do. I know some of this does not fit your concepts of what FF should be. But it is also reality for many dogs and many dog trainers. Some of us don't get to start at square one with the animals we work with. The bad habits are already established and we are asked to fix them. Not only that, but the work usually does not need to be polished. Remember I work primarily with hunting dogs and my clientele quite often do not even recognize what "well-groomed mouth habits" are. Once again, I do not use FF to establish a relationship with a dog. I have other methods I believe work much earlier and fit my program much better. I believe that dog training starts even before the litter is whelped. I believe that training actually starts with the careful selection of a bitch and dog, especially the bitch by the way, for breeding. Why in the world would I wait until the dog is mature enough to start FF before I established a solid relationship in training when I believe good training starts before the pup is even born ? My replies may be antiquated and not excellent in the manner of Munster's, but they are definitely not without thought.
Sounds like an effective way. Believe or not, there are better ones. Thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciated it.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 pm

A year ago I'd never heard of Force Fetch. Admittedly the name itself is somewhat negative and I wasn't sure I wanted to do such a thing, but after going through the force fetch program with my dog I have to say that I would do it again in a heart beat with a new dog. It's a great bonding experience as well as teaching them the fundamentals of retrieve. Besides that it's a great winter project. Even when the snow is piling up around the house, the temps are dropping and the wind is howling, I can still work on the elements of Force Fetch. I think I prefer the term Trained Retrieve over force fetch.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:51 pm

EvanG wrote:And that is an example of my point. Having established a trained baseline for a performance standard from the beginning, those problems would not exist.
I thoroughly agree with you here. Too often I gets dogs with established patterns of bad behavior. Why didn't you just say that in the first place?
EvanG wrote:Sounds like an effective way. Believe or not, there are better ones.
I am sure there are, and believe it or not, your work is on my reading list. But, I am basically working two jobs right now and I have not found the time. I agree that dog training is a life-long learning process. I also have found that seeing a process from some one else's perspective can not only teach me new techniques but is a great way to improve my own. In fact I make my primary income from that very thing. Now, you seem to have taken offense to my reference to you as a "local authority" and were quick to correct me. How do you think I feel that you set up a thread to prove a point and in the process make me look like I have no idea what I'm doing in the least? My apologies for insulting you if I have by the slightest questioning of your credentials.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 am

whoadog wrote:
EvanG wrote:And that is an example of my point. Having established a trained baseline for a performance standard from the beginning, those problems would not exist.
I thoroughly agree with you here. Too often I gets dogs with established patterns of bad behavior. Why didn't you just say that in the first place?
Because I started this thread seeking opinions from trainers who force fetch, not to preach it. I hope for this discussion to reach a point at which we can discuss rationale more deeply.
EvanG wrote:Sounds like an effective way. Believe or not, there are better ones.
I am sure there are, and believe it or not, your work is on my reading list.
Great! I think you'll find it detailed, and a contrast to what is often an approach to inflict enough pain on a dog that it finally submits. My approach is one of conditioning to pressure, which is usually rather minimal.
whoadog wrote:But, I am basically working two jobs right now and I have not found the time. I agree that dog training is a life-long learning process. I also have found that seeing a process from some one else's perspective can not only teach me new techniques but is a great way to improve my own. In fact I make my primary income from that very thing. Now, you seem to have taken offense to my reference to you as a "local authority" and were quick to correct me. How do you think I feel that you set up a thread to prove a point and in the process make me look like I have no idea what I'm doing in the least?
Been there and done that. Dog training is a passionate pursuit, and it takes a lot of work and sacrifice to get established.
whoadog wrote: My apologies for insulting you if I have by the slightest questioning of your credentials.
No problem. By participating on open forums I recognize that I open myself to scrutiny, and even to attack. That's okay, as my ideas will stand scrutiny. http://www.evan-graham.net/Testimonials ... ments.html

Here's hoping we can proceed with a useful discussion.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:22 am

I once heard a story about an old Pointer Field Trialer, Clive Morton who used to "force fetch" all of his dogs. He wasn't much of a hunter nor did his field trials require a retrieve. He claimed that it took his dogs to a different level and he could put his dogs through a gate at 1/2 a mile.

Some day I will muster the determination to start the process and see it through to the end. I understand it takes a lot of perseverance.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:52 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I once heard a story about an old Pointer Field Trialer, Clive Morton who used to "force fetch" all of his dogs. He wasn't much of a hunter nor did his field trials require a retrieve. He claimed that it took his dogs to a different level and he could put his dogs through a gate at 1/2 a mile.

Some day I will muster the determination to start the process and see it through to the end. I understand it takes a lot of perseverance.
More just patience than than mere persistence. It's not the brutal battle it's sometimes said to be. Actually, it's a bonding experience.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Evan,
I just looked at your profile and realized you are nearly a neighbor. Next time some one asks for ff I'll send them your way if that's ok with you.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks. That's kind of you. But I no longer take dogs in for training. My entire career is now focused on training trainers.

Seminars all across the US & Canada
3 books
15 DVDs
Personal Consulting

Keeps an old man busy!! But perhaps we can get together sometime and do a bit of training?

EvanG
Last edited by EvanG on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Mother Teresa

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 am

EvanG wrote:Thanks. That's kind of you. But I no longer take dogs in for training. My entire career is not focused on training trainers.

Seminars all across the US & Canada
3 books
15 DVDs
Personal Consulting

Keeps an old man busy!! But perhaps we can get together sometime and do a bit of training?

EvanG

"My entire career isNOW focused on training trainers." E. Graham

I highly recommend Evan's seminars and workshops. For any one that is interested in a proven system of teaching the dog.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:47 am

gundogguy wrote:"My entire career isNOW focused on training trainers." E. Graham

I highly recommend Evan's seminars and workshops. For any one that is interested in a proven system of teaching the dog.
Thanks! Correction noted and made! :oops:

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:05 pm

I just like that extra level you get. :mrgreen: just a small video of what my dog prefers
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:23 pm

T
EvanG wrote:But perhaps we can get together sometime and do a bit of training?
That would be interesting! I moved away from retrievers years ago although I do have a Lab I rescued from the needle in my kennel. I just might show up at a seminar sometime, but I'll pay my money just like everyone else to watch you work. Do you know Jay Stine at Moon Creek Kennels in Emporia?

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Evan, I like the reliable retrieve that a force broke dog gives. I will not have another dog that is not force broke. My past dogs were sent out for this process. I am currently training a pointer that I would like to force break myself. After reviewing a couple different methods I have decided to follow your program. It seems that your program puts less pressure on the dogs than others. I also like the detailed instruction of your program and the progressive, easy to follow steps. I am looking forward to starting the process.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:09 am

madmurph wrote:Evan, I like the reliable retrieve that a force broke dog gives. I will not have another dog that is not force broke. My past dogs were sent out for this process. I am currently training a pointer that I would like to force break myself. After reviewing a couple different methods I have decided to follow your program. It seems that your program puts less pressure on the dogs than others. I also like the detailed instruction of your program and the progressive, easy to follow steps. I am looking forward to starting the process.
Thanks "Murph". You're in good company!

EvanG
― Mother Teresa