8 Month Old - Potty Issue

Back

8 Month Old - Potty Issue

Post by Back » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 am

I have an eight month old GSP male that I've had since 7 weeks. He hasn't had any potty issues in the house or crate since 4 months. All of a sudden the past couple weeks, his has peed several times in the crate and in the house. Im confused... For example, this morning I took him out and he peed, drank no water, and 20 minutes later he has pissed in the house.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: 8 Month Old - Potty Issue

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:33 pm

UTI - urinary tract infection is what I would assume.

Get thee to the veterinarian post-haste. As someone who gets these sometimes - I say get it fixed ASAP. Very painful.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:08 pm

X2.. any major change in a dog's behaviour warrants a vet appt.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:52 pm

As others have said, vet visit comes first. Am I correct in assuming we are talking about an intact male here? If there is no infection, the pup is becoming sexually mature at 8 months. Sometimes this can lead to marking in the house....besides the crate, is he peeing any place in particular? Is it just urine or is he dropping bombs too? The "past couple of weeks" is about the start of the holiday season. Did you have a sudden increase in visitors or someone who came and stayed over a few nights? Would you describe your dog as very confident and outgoing or does he take a little time to warm up to new people? I know that's a lot of questions to go through but how you answer each one says a bit about your dog and what might be prompting his change in behavior.

Back

Post by Back » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:50 pm

whoadog wrote:As others have said, vet visit comes first. Am I correct in assuming we are talking about an intact male here? If there is no infection, the pup is becoming sexually mature at 8 months. Sometimes this can lead to marking in the house....besides the crate, is he peeing any place in particular? Is it just urine or is he dropping bombs too? The "past couple of weeks" is about the start of the holiday season. Did you have a sudden increase in visitors or someone who came and stayed over a few nights? Would you describe your dog as very confident and outgoing or does he take a little time to warm up to new people? I know that's a lot of questions to go through but how you answer each one says a bit about your dog and what might be prompting his change in behavior.
Yes, he is an intact male and is only urinating in the house/crate. We had family here on Wednesday, but this was going on before that started.

It takes him some time to warm up to other people that he is unfamiliar with.

I've had several dogs over the years. This is my fourth shorthair male, just have never had this issue.

Thanks for all the responses.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Do you catch him in the act or find it later?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:23 pm

My JRT at 7 months matured and started marking in the house - on the other dogs' crates mostly. . Had him neutered 10 days ago and no marking so far. Too early to tell I know , but so far, so good.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Back

Post by Back » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 am

whoadog wrote:Do you catch him in the act or find it later?
I've caught him in the act in the house, but not in the crate.

I started him on tetracycline last night to see if that will help...

Back

Post by Back » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:52 am

Sharon wrote:My JRT at 7 months matured and started marking in the house - on the other dogs' crates mostly. . Had him neutered 10 days ago and no marking so far. Too early to tell I know , but so far, so good.
I hope that helps for your case... I'm not planning on neutering him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:20 pm

No . No Certainly not recommending that. I had to try something.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 am

How is he doing?

Back

Post by Back » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:18 pm

whoadog wrote:How is he doing?
Well... He hasn't pissed in the house for two days. Friday and Saturday night he slept in the bed with us, so that was good. Last night I let him out about 9:30 and when I got up at 5:15 this morning, he had pissed in his crate.

I don't know, but it is like he can't hold the pee over night... I don't let him have anything to drink past 7:00pm.

Still giving him the antibiotic twice a day.

Back

Post by Back » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Also, it's so weird how he is fine if he sleeps in the bed with us during the night not pissing, but put him in the crate and he can't hold it.

I really think he does it because he is pissed he is in there and not in the house.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Peeing is not a conscious act of anger, but he may have anxiety in the crate ( separation anxiety?)

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Couple of things on messing in the crate and not in bed. It could be as Sharon says, he is more nervous in the crate than close to you and he can't hold it as long. He was in the crate almost 8 hours. Do you have a mat or a crate pad? The increased padding in your bed may have made it easier for him to hold it longer. Muscles fatigue faster when animals are less comfortable. I'd keep with the antibiotics, keep him in the crate, and set my alarm for 4 hours into the night for a night or two. It is going to suck for you getting up in the middle of the night but it may be the best way to really nail it down. If he stays dry for four hours, he will eventually make it back to all night.

Back

Post by Back » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 am

I hadn't even thought about seperation anxiety... Might be on to something there.

I have never put a pad in the crate for him, but will try that for tonight. Last night we fell asleep on the couch, so I let him out when I woke up about 12:00. He slept in bed with us and I let him out at 7:00... Obviously, there was no peeing issues in the bed. I will try the letting him out in the middle of the night for a few nights and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.