Stim level question?

Dash_9

Stim level question?

Post by Dash_9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I have a tri tronics classic 70. I have used it so far to enforce recall with my dog, which has worked great. All I have ever used with her has been #1. Lately, however, she seems like she has been blowing the stim off when I've had to use it....pretty much like she doesn't even feel it. For example; one day she gave chase to a an animal, I gave her "here" with #1....nothing. However, at # 2 she cries out. I tried the long prongs too, no difference. Although I didn't see it initially, the pro 100 has buttons that allow you to select the "percentage" of and number stim you're using. I'm wondering if this would been a better option. I don't know...anyone else ever run into this?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Stim level question?

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:25 pm

She ignore's #1, go to #2 and let her decide how much she wants!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 pm

How is the charge? When mine gets low, I dont get any responce from my dogs. But If I turn it up a little more then they get the stimulation.
She may also just be blowing you off. The more excitement, the more stimulation is needed sometimes.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I would be interested in the answer to this also. I currently have a Tri tronics 500. I have looked at the 70 because I think it will accomodate up to six collars. My concern is that the stimulation levels will step up to steeply. Have you tried it on your hand to see what the difference feels like to you?

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm

rinker wrote:I would be interested in the answer to this also. I currently have a Tri tronics 500. I have looked at the 70 because I think it will accomodate up to six collars. My concern is that the stimulation levels will step up to steeply. Have you tried it on your hand to see what the difference feels like to you?
The 70 EXP, which is what I have, will do 6 different collars. Useless to me with one dog, but I got a good price on it :) Before I ever put it on my dog, I tested it on my palm and arm. 1 is noticeable, but not very strong, 2 is definitely more pronounced, and 3 will give you a good jolt....I didn't test 4-6. This was when it was fully charged too.

I gave her a quick nick today, on #2, when she found a cat in the woods. She didn't seem to care. I mean, it got the point across, but she didn't vocalize.

I rarely even have to nick her anymore. If she gets way far out of sight, the tone usually sends her packing in my direction. I think I'll just stick with the 70 since I reallllly didn't want to buy another transmitter.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:10 pm

"The more excitement, the more stimulation is needed sometimes." quote Rott'Britt
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:53 pm

And what was your method of e-collar conditioning your dog to this command?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Sharon! You'd be proud of this dog now haha.

EvanG wrote:And what was your method of e-collar conditioning your dog to this command?

EvanG
Check cord, then check cord overlapped with ecollar, then no check cord. The exact same way they do it in the perfect start DVD.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Dash -

It sounds like you are using the e-collar to cue the dog.

If the dog was previously responding on a 1 and now is ignoring it, the dog has both become desensitized to AND has decided to ignore the command and the person giving it.

It is entirely possible that, if you start stimulating the dog at level 2 that the dog will, in relatively short order, become desensitized to that level as well and proceed to ignore the command and the person giving it.

What do you do then? go to a 3?

You can desensitize a dog, in stepwise fashion to the point where a 5 will not deter them. You might be surprised how quickly it can be done.

You need to do one of the following things.

You could back up and reinforce the command with a checkcord, using verbal and physical cues, the same way you introduced the command , and if the dog fails to obey the command, go to the dog, put your hands on it and issue a physical correction.

OR

You can continue to use the e-collar on 1 as a cue, and when the dog fails to respond,...
You skip a couple of levels and give the dog a high hard one of very short duration. Then go get the dog, because it will probably freeze in place, bring it back and repeat the command verbally and simultaneously tap it with a very short duration 1. When the dog responds appropriately, praise and move on.

In either case, the dog needs to understand that if it fails to respond to the cue on level 1..bad things happen ...fast.

You could also overlay a verbal or physical cue, in a training environment, re-introduce the low level(#1) stim, and re-train.

RayG

BTW, I am not a real big fan of using e-collar stim for cues, on a continuing basis, without accompanying physical or verbal signals of some sort, because this kind of thing can happen very easily and you and the dog can go down the road of increasing stim...which is a bad road to travel. The cue need not be verbal, it could be as simple as you changing your direction to cue the dog to change theirs. A single verbal "HO" followed by a hand signal can be very effective.

Lotsa ways to skin that cat.
Last edited by RayGubernat on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Different levels for different situations. "Here" in a calm setting with no interruptions is going to be different than "Here" while chasing something. I constantly change the level of stimulation depending on what we are doing or working with. As the dog gets bolder and more confident the stimulation will probably have to go up. Then as they get the idea, it can go down again.

Dash_9

Post by Dash_9 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Fun dog wrote:Different levels for different situations. "Here" in a calm setting with no interruptions is going to be different than "Here" while chasing something. I constantly change the level of stimulation depending on what we are doing or working with. As the dog gets bolder and more confident the stimulation will probably have to go up. Then as they get the idea, it can go down again.
I think this is what I'm dealing with here. When I look back now, the two instances I'm talking about both involved her chasing animals. I suppose in all her excitement, #1 wasn't going to phase her in the least. #2 was a more appropriate level for the given situation, but I guess it still takes her by surprise. Whether she's getting wise to the stim, I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Most of the time when I take her for a woods run, I never even have to touch the transmitter, as she responded to "here" just fine. I just didn't want her to cry out like that...but I suppose the situation may have warranted it

magspa

Post by magspa » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:25 pm

I have a TT field 90 (has 6 levels) and noticed the same thing. significant jump from 1-2. But as long as the intro is done right, there shouldn't be a problem..1 works for most corrections, and for introducing her to the ecollar. If she is chasing a jack rabbit or just ignoring me i learned quick to straight from 1 to 4. Only took a 2 times and now she just watches those jack rabbits run off then goes back to looking for birds. Crazy rabbit chasing mode is the only time i ever used 4 though. but for my other GSP, level 1 didnt phase her so i kept it on 2 and then 4 for chasing. I also only use continuous, hold until dog obeys.