New Dog Afraid of Camo Clothing-HELP?

SCGirl

New Dog Afraid of Camo Clothing-HELP?

Post by SCGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:20 am

So I am writing today to see if anyone has ever encountered this. My husband purchased a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon started dog that when we received her, she knew nothing. She is very birdy, but arrived underweight, needing eye surgery, had roundworm and was spooked at every noise. We had originally flown to Montana to check her out with the plan of my husband hunting with her for two days to make sure the training had gone well. We had purchased her as a pup and the breeder sent her to a local trainer for 10 mos. When we arrived in MT, she would not hunt. The trainer had her spayed 8 days before we arrived and she had been crated since then. We were totally disappointed. We did not take her home with us as planned. The trainer then shipped her to us 5 weeks later saying he was sure we would be happy with her. She has been with us for about 5 weeks and in that time I have housebroken her and taught her basic obedience commands, put some weight on her, had her eye surgery and she has overcome the noise issue. Obviously, we did not pay the trainer any money since he did nothing but damage.

Here is the biggest issue, she will run away from my husband whenever he appears in his camo clothing ready to go duck hunting. She will not come when called and wants nothing to do with him. When he is in regular clothing, no problem. She will be a fine dog for upland hunting, but my husband does both and needs a retriever for his duck club. She is great at fetching and he tried to take her out to see her reaction to live birds at his duck club. She retrieved a downed bird but ran off with it and came back about an hour later.

Any comments if this can be corrected? I know she still needs additional training, we are using the Dokken videos for a start, she is 15 mos. old now and not sure if we should keep her. :cry:

Georgia Boy

Re: New Dog Afraid of Camo Clothing-HELP?

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

Sounds like the dog was not properly socialized or exposed to many different things and environments. These things are critical in the development of a pup between 3-6 months. It is also possible the "trainer" wore camouflage clothing regularly and the dog associates it with some negative experience. IMO you would be better off starting over with another dog if you expect it to be a serviceable hunting dog, chances are this dog will not make it as such.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:. It is also possible the "trainer" wore camouflage clothing regularly and the dog associates it with some negative experience.
That's what it sounds like to me too.
Have your hubby wear camo at feeding time.
Put some camo on hangers around the house.
Put some camo on the dog's bed.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:25 pm

I would have both of you wear camo all the time around the house. Desensitize her to it.
Once that is achieved, I would slow it's appearance. Feeding time, walk time, play time... Turn it into a very exciting event. Don't rush it!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

mask

Post by mask » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm

It sounds very much like this dog has had no training. If she came to you with worms and other health issues she was probably not well cared for. If she was afraid of her own shadow she was not handled properly. If you had to teach her basic obedience something is very wrong and you likely got burned. If you want a hunting dog you might want to start over with another pup. Some dogs never forget a bad experience and it sounds like this one has had plenty.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:05 pm

You will need to commit to a lot of time and energy on rehabbing this dog. Think about whether it's worth it or not for you. She might better make a nice couch potato dog for someone. I say that having worked with many foster dogs through the years. It sounds like you were really taken advantage of with this dog. Unsocialized, unhealthy, won't hunt....not much good in there to see. If you're committed to her, and think you have a chance of rehabilitating her, then go for it, but if you won't be able to accept that she may never duck hunt, then you might want to try with another dog from a reputable breeder/trainer. It's so very hard to start over when you have one with you now, but sometimes, that is the better option than trying to take an unsocialized, frightened, neurotic dog and turn it into your hunting partner.

Maybe have her evaluated by a reputable trainer in your locale. Again, I'm not one to say just give up on the dog, but sometimes a new home is the kindest thing you can provide this type of dog.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:30 pm

SCGirl wrote:So I am writing today to see if anyone has ever encountered this. My husband purchased a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon started dog that when we received her, she knew nothing. She is very birdy, but arrived underweight, needing eye surgery, had roundworm and was spooked at every noise. We had originally flown to Montana to check her out with the plan of my husband hunting with her for two days to make sure the training had gone well. We had purchased her as a pup and the breeder sent her to a local trainer for 10 mos. When we arrived in MT, she would not hunt. The trainer had her spayed 8 days before we arrived and she had been crated since then. We were totally disappointed. We did not take her home with us as planned. The trainer then shipped her to us 5 weeks later saying he was sure we would be happy with her. She has been with us for about 5 weeks and in that time I have housebroken her and taught her basic obedience commands, put some weight on her, had her eye surgery and she has overcome the noise issue. Obviously, we did not pay the trainer any money since he did nothing but damage.

Here is the biggest issue, she will run away from my husband whenever he appears in his camo clothing ready to go duck hunting. She will not come when called and wants nothing to do with him. When he is in regular clothing, no problem. She will be a fine dog for upland hunting, but my husband does both and needs a retriever for his duck club. She is great at fetching and he tried to take her out to see her reaction to live birds at his duck club. She retrieved a downed bird but ran off with it and came back about an hour later.

Any comments if this can be corrected? I know she still needs additional training, we are using the Dokken videos for a start, she is 15 mos. old now and not sure if we should keep her. :cry:
If what you say is true! and I have no reason to doubt you!...You have a bad dog and a badly trained dog in a bad situation!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm

poorly socialized during critical period

My well -socialized pup balked at big green barrels on the road the other day. Everything is new to them. He balks when my husband wears his black toque too.

You've already given this dog more care than most would . Don't feel badly if you have to move on.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 pm

KwikIrish wrote:I would have both of you wear camo all the time around the house. Desensitize her to it.
Once that is achieved, I would slow it's appearance. Feeding time, walk time, play time... Turn it into a very exciting event. Don't rush it!
Sharon wrote:poorly socialized during critical period

My well -socialized pup balked at big green barrels on the road the other day. Everything is new to them. He balks when my husband wears his black toque too.

You've already given this dog more care than most would . Don't feel badly if you have to move on.
+1.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:28 pm

So sorry to hear about your dog. I have had a similar situation with a trainer and when I got my dog back, she was gunshy and afraid of birds. I found a highly recommended trainer who I talked to and asked a lot of questions. Through the recommendations from people on here took her to a new trainer. Now she is not gunshy and is birdy again. But when we plant birds she flashes back to her old ways and cowers down when she smells human scent with birds. It really sucks. Be patient and keep working with her. She is almost 2 1/2 and I hope this year the trainer can finish her and have her hold point and retrieve.

Good Luck

SCGirl

Post by SCGirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and thoughts. We will start wearing camo full-time and see how that goes. And we do have a great retriever club close by that meets each month so I can have her evaluated by a reputable trainer. Fortunately the breeder has offered a replacement pup at no charge since he referred us to the trainer. She will be picked up early February and has a great pedigree. So we have a few more weeks to work with this one and see how it goes.

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks again.