My Brittany has two modes

jbwardfamily

My Brittany has two modes

Post by jbwardfamily » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I have a 4 1/2 month old Brittany and I am having a hard time teaching her to come to me on command in the field. In and around the house she is pretty good about coming to me but if she is occupied or in "hunt" mode, she ignores everything. When I take her to the field she is a beast and is a lightning bolt. I keep her on a 30 ft cord and work some initially with telling her to come and forcing her to me with the check cord. After a few of those I let the cord go and let her run. She may come to me once or twice after that but once she smells a bird or something else interests her, nothing else exists. I am glad she has a great hunt drive but I feel like she should still pay attention to me. It's a good thing I have a fast 12 year old son to catch her when she gets too far away.

I haven't started any hunting training with her yet. She has sit, lay down, and the basics fairly down pat. She is also starting to enjoy retrieving and playing fetch. What can I do to increase her willingness to stop what she is doing and check in with me on command?

Thanks,

James

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: My Brittany has two modes

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:03 pm

She is a puppy, give her time. Did your 12 year old behave everytime you told him something when he was a 2 year old? And the pup is only 4 months.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

Every time you interact with the dog, the dog is learning something. Be careful that you are not teaching the dog that commands such as come are optional in certain circumstances.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

" I keep her on a 30 ft cord and work some initially with telling her to come and forcing her to me with the check cord. After a few of those I let the cord go and let her run. " quote

You are doing it right. NEVER call her in unless you can enforce it. Only call " come" once. At that age it is even better if you can get your hands on the dog if she doesn't come.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks. Once I let go of the check cord, I usually use the "lets go" phrase instead of the "come". I am just trying to get her attention. She rarely comes all the way to me though. Should I start giving treats for each time I pull her to me? Also, should I incorporate a whistle to give her something louder and harder to miss?

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:35 pm

You are expecting way too much from a puppy that young.Britts are smart dogs but they dont learn a whole bunch at 18 weeks,they are incapable of that.
Take your time and enjoy your little pup.You have a ton of time for obidience training.Get your dog out in the feilds and let her romp.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

And when I first saw the subject and a Brit I was expecting the two modes to be:

1 a sleep
2 full out

and x2 on Hoosierdaddy

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:37 pm

That's not far from reality in my house. She is a firecracker.