Read the dog in front of you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Read the dog in front of you.

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:58 pm

It's a phrase you often hear or see written ,but what does it mean,and more importantly how do you do it?
Probably would take a volume the size of war and peace to fully explain perhaps?..In one word though you could probably say 'Experience'?...but then even experienced folk haven't seen ''every dog''!..
There is also much talk about ''programs'' ! and also which programs are the best ?,or every problem or issue can be googled with an answer to an individuals issue with 'their dog'?

I picked up a new dog Yesterday .I needed a male dog for my pack and as I heard that the owner of a bitch I trained a couple of years ago was selling a 5 month old pup with both parents fully health checked .hips/elbows and eyes done, and I had previously shot over the sire,(I liked them both) ..I made a call!
The young pup could retrieve a tennis ball,and had been farmed out for a month with some-one who thought the dog was a bit too soft!.

After settling in to the kennels and the pack ,this one appeared to be like your average joe pup at 5 month old,showing all the usual signs I would expect for a youngster entering a new environment.
Playing puppy is good fun,and day one was just that!
Today we just extended that to a game called retrieving!..Chucked a bumper and that was fine, dog held the bumper and I just gave lot's a praise!
So, done that a couple of times and he gets the idea ok!
When I went to collect him, It was early in the morning so there was a bit of road kill on the route.
It was in my bag ,so I just chucked it like I chucked the bumper!...welcome to ''game'' in your gob young man! :wink:
It will be 8 months before a grouse is in that gob again!..but I bet you don't forget it ! :wink:
Now ,it could have all gone wrong!! ?...But sometimes I think some folks are more worried about getting it right!..
If it did go wrong?..Hey' ..I would have just done the same another day !
S1180028.JPG
S1180029.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whoadog

Re: Read the dog in front of you.

Post by whoadog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:41 pm

The way you mention "programs" dates you a bit my friend. I laugh a little myself when I read modern sequential training programs being put forward as a "new idea". I used to call it "yard work" or "building a foundation" back in the day. Certainly we have improved the process in a number of ways, e-collars for instance on this side of the pond, but effective dog training, in my opinion, by nature is sequential. Just because step by step process is not written down does not mean it is not a "program". Sadly, I am not a modern man. To this day I am less concerned about style points than effective dog work. I am a firm believer that each man is unto himself and should set his own standards of what is acceptable and what is not. But to your question put forth before your very eye-catching photos which I enjoyed very much by the way:

I'd say that "reading a dog" is learning to recognize canine body language. Using your photos, I see a dog that is moving freely towards you, a tail wagging dog that is relaxed in what he is doing and looking as if he really is enjoying himself. I don't see any tensed muscles except those that should be. He is moving quickly not because he is being forced to with cord or collar, but because he wants to. He even looks like he is smiling in the first pic. I thank you for sharing your beautiful dog and look forward to what others have to say!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Read the dog in front of you.

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Whoadog ,you have a keen eye yourself :wink:
Yup!, There are many that say 'read the dog' ,and more that quote it.....Even fewer that do it !
Masters of body language they are!..I treat them like autistic children!..They are not stupid,some are excellent Musicians or Artists,or very numerical.
But you couldn't send them to the store with a $10 dollar bill for a pint of milk and a loaf of bread expecting the correct change?
Same with the Dog!...They are very good at being a dog! :wink: