pointer

padraig

pointer

Post by padraig » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi all whats the best way to get a dog to point steady . I have an english cross german pointer he is hunting but flushing he has set a couple of times while out with another pointer but never on his own he is 11 months . He has retreived a couple birds after he flushed all info appreciated

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: pointer

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 am

Personally, if a dog that is supposed to point moves in on the birds and flushes, I would not shoot the birds. You are rewarding the dog for flushing if it can run in and get hold of the bird.
I train my pointing dogs to flush on command but before any birds are shot from those flushes the dog has pointed and held it's point first. My dogs will have had many dozens of points and dozens of commanded flushes before I ever shoot a bird over them.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:54 am

There are so many different proven methods that labelling one as "best" iis useless. What works for you is what works.

Imo stop killing birds for him to start. A bird is the reward when you the trainer decide its time to reward him. During training exercises ill let birds fly away even on a broke dog. Its shows good character to me When the dog holds steady even after the bird is long gone.

My suggestion is get some launchers and set up in a controlled environment. Might want to use a checkchord to have control of the dog.
If he is pointing before he moves in to flush try to get a point on him before he gets to close to the launcher. If he won't point before then launch the bird before he's to close. (Like a wild bird would flush if a dog gets to close)
Some don't use woah on a point but I do. No need to hack at the dog. A nice calm low pitch long woooahh is what I use to just remind them. Work on your woah first and get that packed down.

Just my .02

padraig

Post by padraig » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:12 pm

thanks for the advice guys much appreciated . had him out today and he set few times on snipe, most of them was only on scent after the birds got up just in front of him

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 pm

What is an English cross German pointer? As long as your willing to shoot what he flush's, he'll flush!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

padraig

Post by padraig » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 pm

English pointer crossed with german pointer

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:17 pm

campgsp wrote:Might want to use a checkchord to have control of the dog.
x2

padraig

Post by padraig » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

thanks all , how do i upload pics

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:49 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett