Four questions for training your first dog

Blllkns

Post by Blllkns » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 pm

I got a new puppy recently (GSP), she's been great we have been working on kennel and recall as well as manners around the house. This will be the first dog I have trained and I have some questions for those of you with expierence in training your own dogs.

What are the biggest mistakes novices make or you have made?

What are some keys or principles you use for better consistent training?

What is your progression of training?

And finally what is your favorite training excercise/ session?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Four questions for training your first dog

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 pm

"What are the biggest mistakes novices make or you have made?"

Expecting too much , too soon. Takes 2+- years to have a fairly reliable bird dog.
Saying too much , and not realizing that the birds can do much of the teaching required.

"What are some keys or principles you use for better consistent training?"

Dogs learns through repetition, habit. Every time unwanted behaviour is not dealt with, whether in the home or in the field, , it's a step backwards.

Seeing a young dog who has been allowed to chase, realizing on his own that he can't catch those birds. Seeing him start to creep /point / having a bird shot over him, and smiling as I watch his lights go on. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:51 pm

I agree, I have a three year old and train everyday for atleast thirty minutes. In the summer I buy some quail and plant them on a public land where they hold field trials. It helps the pup learn bird behavior. They are very bright pups and learn by trial on each encounter. Don't get impatient. It will come. I have a 3 year old who is just this season rock solid on point. Good luck. GSP is the best dog in the world
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 pm

1) not quitting after 1 good rep
2) don't progress until they have mastered the predecessor
3) research different methods
4) when a pupil stands steady to wing and shot on their first wild bird

It's not a race, get a goal in mind maybe you want a dog that hunts far and wide or close and slow, steady to wing and shot or breaks on the flush to the retrieve. All put birds in the bag, have fun.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Expecting too much , too soon.
Took the exact words right out of my mouth! :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:16 pm

I just have a comment on what I've done wrong with a few dogs and then the program I like.

I have been too busy micro-managing a dog when they're young. Afraid I'd loose them, so I'd always be calling them back in (reducing their range). I am MUCH better at that now (it's taken a few dogs though). The first year, I teach them house manners and "here." I gun break them and then I hunt them as much as possible. I try not to use commands in the field (hand gestures on when to change directions, but that's about it). I let them learn to be independent and to range as much as they want.

The program I've used and will continue to use is the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish. I like the DVD's and even better, the clinics.
Last edited by RoostersMom on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Books have been written on these four questions, but, in a paragraph or two:

What are the biggest mistakes novices make or you have made?
I grew up around hounds. I tried to train my first bird dog, a Brittany, the same way we started my dad's dogs. It was an epic failure. So, I started studying different trainers before I got my next dog. My biggest mistake, and I think it is a common one with new hunting dog owners, is that I did not educate myself about training the type of dog I was working with until after I had already started training her. I had already made too many mistakes by then and ruined what should have been a fantastic bird dog.

What are some keys or principles you use for better consistent training?
1. Consistent training is just that, consistent training. Train every day for very short periods of time. Ten minutes at feeding time every day produces better results than two hours every Saturday afternoon. The trainer must also learn to give consistent messages to the dog and reinforce the results consistently. 2. Understanding how dogs learn is the most useful information you can ever have as a dog trainer.

What is your progression of training?
I work with pointing breeds of hunting dogs. It is my personal opinion that most hunters could get by with one well trained command when it comes to pointing dogs and that command would be recall. That being said, I teach recall, a field control command, and introduce "whoa" before I introduce birds. It is important to understand that control starts close and works its way out. If you can't control your dog on a four feet leash, there is no way he'll listen at forty yards.

I already hijacked a thread answering this one. I'll do my best to avoid doing that here.

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Lots of great advice!
Thanks!

Blllkns

Post by Blllkns » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks guys got some great answers/ advice. I gave another question for you guys I've introduced my puppy to pigeons with their wings held in a sock. She loves them picked one up started running around all proud with it. Is she ready for one wing to be out or should I hold off and wait? Also should I be worried if she's not pointing them?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

I just looked at this again and thought, "whoa, probably out to move it back up the list". Hobbling a pigeon that way is a great way to teach your young pointing dog that they can catch a live bird. It's just my opinion but I would never put a live bird out that my pointing dogs could catch so easily. It sort of runs counter to what I'm trying to accomplish which is "find it for me, stop, and I'll catch it for you."

Blllkns

Post by Blllkns » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 am

I just used that method to introduce her to birds, I now have her on carded pigeons and she has no trouble pointing them. Since this was my first dog I was trying out a method that made seemed most logical to me. What is your method for introducing birds and how do you work your dogs on birds?