Pigeon Loft question

kcbullets

Pigeon Loft question

Post by kcbullets » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:07 pm

I have never raised pigeons but planned to build a pen soon. I have an old 8x10 dog kennel not being used. Would I be better off putting a top and maybe some walls inside that, instead of building a pen? My dog pen is sitting on concrete. Seems like that might be the best way to go. Any drawbacks?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Loft question

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

kcbullets wrote:I have never raised pigeons but planned to build a pen soon. I have an old 8x10 dog kennel not being used. Would I be better off putting a top and maybe some walls inside that, instead of building a pen? My dog pen is sitting on concrete. Seems like that might be the best way to go. Any drawbacks?
No way to answer your question since you didn't show where you are from.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 pm

A top is going to be mandatory or you will most likely have problems with hawks and other predators making their way into it. I know I've had the best luck having a solid wall behind the nesting area of my loft.

tjsnipehunter

Post by tjsnipehunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 pm

A lot of other critters you don't want near your birds can get through chainlink and larger wire openings. Sparrows, mice and rats just to name a few. They will eat feed, could bring in disease and injure or kill birds. If you do use it you'd have to block or screen it somehow. They need some rain and wind protection or they won't probably live long. The farther south you are the less protection they would need. Pigeons are pretty tough birds if they can huddle up on a perch out of the wind. Mine have taken quite a few nights below 0F this winter in one of these. viewtopic.php?f=100&t=15397

Tim

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Kansas City, thanks

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:59 pm

We did that with our unused puppy pen. We put a roof on it and lined the inside with Chicken wire. The chain link keeps big critters out and the chicken wire keeps the birds in. However, make sure you fasten it firmly or you could have some hawk like visitors come to see what's for dinner.