Bawling like a baby in the kennel

Wing Chaser

Bawling like a baby in the kennel

Post by Wing Chaser » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 pm

What is the best way to stop this? Dog is male, 14 month's old. He go's in the kennel every morning before we go to work and gets out every afternoon when we get home, We never use the kennel for punishment and he gets a small treat whenever he has to go in the kennel. He bawls no matter what, if we are in the house or outside he is still bawling. If we are in the house he will continue and stop for short periods, if we leave I can't say how long it might go for.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Bawling like a baby in the kennel

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Well if you sand your neighbors can stand it, leave him in there until he stops! Let him out before that and you encourage the behavior.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm

I veer from my gentle positive methods here. If the dog is over 6 months and not a rescue or having some unsual emotional mental issue, I just throw on a bark collar for obnoxious crate and kennel dogs. Can not tolerate this behavior. Often times they get themselves into a cycle of stress and they can not settle crying makes them more lonely and that makes them cry more. I prefer the bark collar over verbal correction training here because it is NOT punishment FROM me AND it is consistent. I do introduce it while I am at home but in another room, so that I can be sure all is working properly and they do not absolutely freak. I prefer the step up level collars for this situation because they start low enough that the dog can feel it but not panic.
The first time though they will be so in their own world of screaming that they will not notice the lower levels.
I do reward for quiet behavior randomly with or without the collar.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Let the dog out to make sure it pees first.... Strap a bark limiter on it (level four or five) put in the crate and leave. Dog will be silent when you return. Works like a charm!

Uplandish

Post by Uplandish » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I veer from my gentle positive methods here. If the dog is over 6 months and not a rescue or having some unsual emotional mental issue, I just throw on a bark collar for obnoxious crate and kennel dogs. Can not tolerate this behavior. Often times they get themselves into a cycle of stress and they can not settle crying makes them more lonely and that makes them cry more. I prefer the bark collar over verbal correction training here because it is NOT punishment FROM me AND it is consistent. I do introduce it while I am at home but in another room, so that I can be sure all is working properly and they do not absolutely freak. I prefer the step up level collars for this situation because they start low enough that the dog can feel it but not panic.
The first time though they will be so in their own world of screaming that they will not notice the lower levels.
I do reward for quiet behavior randomly with or without the collar.
Great answer.

Some dogs will just scream and scream it doesn't matter how long you ignore them.

Bird Dog Jim

Post by Bird Dog Jim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 am

I don't mean to steal this thread from the OP, but Mountaindogs prefaced his sound advice with "If the dog is over 6 months and not a rescue or having some unsual emotional mental issue". What advice if the dog is a rescue? I have a rescue english setter that is approximately 6 years old that we believe has been kenneled his whole life that I am trying to crate train in our home. We use the crate at night and when not at home. He hates it and will bark for hours. We have only had him for a few days, but have not seen much progress in getting used to the crate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jim

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:42 am

If you aren't home when he crys, who cares what he does as long as he doesn't pee in his crate. If he crys go back to the original message if he doesn't have any issues and isn't a really soft dog.