Book vs. dvd

jbonesky

Book vs. dvd

Post by jbonesky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:55 pm

I am awaiting the the arrival of my 1st gun dog puppy. While I'm spending these next few months preparing myself, I've come to this question. Have you all had different out comes with books vs. DVDs? Do you have a preference and why?

S&J gsp

Re: Book vs. dvd

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:23 am

Training With Mo its a well written training guide. Mo is on here willing to help and Jonesy lives in Ky so you would be able get help if needed. It is also easy to follow

Another is Delmar Smith book it is also well written and easy to follow. This book is a little harder to find but it worth find.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 am

jbonesky wrote:I am awaiting the the arrival of my 1st gun dog puppy. While I'm spending these next few months preparing myself, I've come to this question. Have you all had different out comes with books vs. DVDs? Do you have a preference and why?
For pity's sake it might be nice if you told what kind of pup and what your plans are for it. If this is your first and you are coming to forum with questions, maybe you should be consulting the breeder for your basic information.
Training DVD and books are excellent if you already have a fairly good idea of what your standards are. What are the standards of the breeder? Is the breeder a field trial-er hunt tester, or hunter, or all three. If you are unclear of what standards are spend some with the breeder or at least solids conversations.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 am

I see a picture of ducks on your profile picture. Is this a retriever or pointing dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:32 am

gundogguy wrote:
jbonesky wrote:I am awaiting the the arrival of my 1st gun dog puppy. While I'm spending these next few months preparing myself, I've come to this question. Have you all had different out comes with books vs. DVDs? Do you have a preference and why?
For pity's sake it might be nice if you told what kind of pup and what your plans are for it. If this is your first and you are coming to forum with questions, maybe you should be consulting the breeder for your basic information.
Training DVD and books are excellent if you already have a fairly good idea of what your standards are. What are the standards of the breeder? Is the breeder a field trial-er hunt tester, or hunter, or all three. If you are unclear of what standards are spend some with the breeder or at least solids conversations.
Sorry, I was expecting more generalized input. I am getting a lab. The breeder only hunts. With that the breeder only hunts waterfowl and dove, Considering the breeder is also my step dad I have tons of help on the retrieving end of the training. Though I am also planning to do some quail and pheasant hunting with the dog (98% of that will be preserve hunts) so the training I will be looking for guidance on will be the quartering, flushing, steady to WSF etc. Also it may be a long shot hope with this being my 1st go around, but I'd really like to participate in some local retriever hunt test and field trials.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am

I think if done well a video is better, for me anyway. I like to be told how something works and then see it done. A flaw, for me, in a couple video's I've seen was that for some reason the person in the video's face was almost always there. I do not need to see the persons face describing what he/she is doing, I need to see what their doing. If on the other hand nothing is being shown then seeing the face get's my attention there. One video, very well thought of, done by a man and wife team, when he would be explaining something, she would often cut in, very distracting! When I sent dog's home, my wife did a video of everything we did with the dog and why and, kept my mug out of it. Showing the relationship of the bowline know on the check cord and where it comes up under the chin, she would get the dogs head, my hands and the snap and knot. It put attention onto what I was talking about rather than me. Got that idea from watching a video on the shock collar. Great video but can't find it around anymore.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

I would go talk to Jonesy, he works with Lab's also, if not I'm sure he would know of someone close.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Second contacting Jonesy, he's in Berea and works with ALL gun dog's.

For a well done retriever dvd, the Smart Fetch system is the best out there followed closely by Fowl Dawgs.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.