New Pup and Cold Weather

CoolHandLukeGSP

New Pup and Cold Weather

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:26 pm

I got my first pointing dog just before Christmas, a GSP. I have worked with him on "Come", "No", "Kennel", "Fetch", taken him to the fields twice, walk him up town when I go to the post office, I have taken him to my office to get played with by the people there, and have introduced him to gunfire. But, the weather here in Michigan lately has been extremely cold and there is a lot of snow on the ground. All of the training videos I watch and books I read say to get them out into the fields as much as possible before introducing them to basic command training, but those videos are all filmed in the warmer months of the year. What do you do with a young pup (now 13-weeks) when the weather outside is not fit for man nor beast? I feel like I am wasting precious training time with him while I wait for a break in the weather to get him back out into the fields and woods. I am wondering what some of you more experienced trainers do with pups when the weather outside does not permit training? Do I just remain patient and wait for a break in the weather? Can I work with him on basic commands in the house? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric

whoadog

Re: New Pup and Cold Weather

Post by whoadog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm

The pros go to Florida or Texas :D 13 weeks, that's 3 months. In November he'll still be about a year old which is still very young. There is no big rush here. Work basic obedience a few minutes a day in your backyard. Nothing heavy or heavy handed. If you have him recalling reliably in April you will be way ahead of most first timers. He'll only be 6 months old then and you will have all summer to take those long walks.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:24 am

Bond with the puppy. Snuggle and play and maybe even take a few naps together. Don't worry so much about time getting by you. The bond between the two of you could be the best tool for training come this spring. :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:25 am

Not too much to add to these two posts. Relax and enjoy your pup. You are already doing fine by exposing her to different places and people. That is all she really needs right now, along with bonding and low pressure obedience. Remember she is just a baby....I would have waited another month or two before any gun intro but that has already been done. Oh, one other thing....have your doctor to write you a prescription for some Valium or Xanax :mrgreen:

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

CoolHandLukeGSP

Post by CoolHandLukeGSP » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:00 am

birddogger wrote: Oh, one other thing....have your doctor to write you a prescription for some Valium or Xanax :mrgreen:

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Charlie
LOL! Point taken, thank you.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 am

You might get this video from George Hickox, Great Beginnings. The guy does some amazing zero pressure work with puppies. The video is good, but seeing it in person is amazing.

http://www.georgehickox.com/about_georg ... x_dvd.html