Whoa Training

duckn66

Whoa Training

Post by duckn66 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Is a barrel absolutely necessary to teach whoa in your opinion? I worked on Whoa with my pup some last summer as I was teaching him to heel but wasn't too worried about it just yet. This was his first year hunting wild birds which I thought he did very well the last part of the season.

The person I got my older pointer from said the barrel is not necessary and everything can be done from the ground.

I started this pup using the perfect start video.

campgsp

Re: Whoa Training

Post by campgsp » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04 pm

Stick to the perfect start program.
Don't confuse yourself or the dog.

Barrels and tables are nice but you have to basically start all over on the ground after barrel anyway.
More work imo.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:40 pm

I used the perfect start method with my Brittany, It works, its all about timing, just remember to do it in steps, also the dog should understand whoa before it is whoaed around birds, then without smelling them, and finally smelling the birds, this way when you use whoa around birds the dog doesn't correlate the pressure of whoa to the birds

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I use perfect start..

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm

If you're using the PS, why even ask this question? A whoa post, barrel, or any other "artificial" tool doesn't make the dog learn it any better. My dogs were all whoa broke with the PS and PF series (except for the first pointer - I got her before I learned the Perfection way). It works. It works well and it just takes repetition. You also don't need to "transition" from the post or barrel.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm

RoostersMom wrote:If you're using the PS, why even ask this question? A whoa post, barrel, or any other "artificial" tool doesn't make the dog learn it any better. My dogs were all whoa broke with the PS and PF series (except for the first pointer - I got her before I learned the Perfection way). It works. It works well and it just takes repetition. You also don't need to "transition" from the post or barrel.
I asked because I only have the perfect start video. I didn't know if he used a barrel in the perfect finish video or not (which I will be ordering soon).

Thanks for all the replies. This pointing dog stuff is new to me. Fun, but new.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

There are no barrels in either DVD

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm sure I'm stepping on pecuniary concerns here but....

Want your dog to whoa? Teach him whoa on a checkcord then take the dog and the cord in the field. Plant pigeons and using the checkcord just like before practice.

Eventually, when you think the dog has it, take off the cord. Then when he charges and doesn't whoa, the BIRD will teach him the result. No whoa? No bird in the mouth.

But it must be said if the dog doesn't have the instincts then you are going to have a problem.

Good luck