How much does training cost?

USAF CAVEMAN

How much does training cost?

Post by USAF CAVEMAN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:04 pm

So currently i'm Active Duty and seem to be moving around a lot lately. I havent had time to train my GSP and he is now almost 10 months old. If i sent my dog off for 3 months to train with a trainer that i have read about on here. How much will i be looking at spending? I know a lot of people on here have had there dogs trained. Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: How much does training cost?

Post by shags » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Why not contact the trainer you are interested in and ask? Cost varies from region to region, so someone in New Mexico may have a different budget than someone from Minnesota.

When you speak to the trainer, be sure to get a complete answer - some guys charge a couple hundred bucks as a base price, but add on every bird, shotgun shell, blank cartridge, etc which can make your bill seriously higher. Other guys' fees are all inclusive.

You also need to consider more than cost. It really helps to choose a trainer with whom you get along personality-wise, who is willing to have *you* come and be trained too, who is open to reasonable phone and email communication, and who will help you with brush-ups once your dog returns home.

And always always always check out the training facilities before you drop off your dog and don't be afraid to ask questions.Are they clean and well maintained? Do the dogs look happy and well cared for? What is the procedure if your dog requires veterinary care? What if the dog gets lost? What if he washes out?

Good luck with your dog, and thank you for your service.

USAF CAVEMAN

Post by USAF CAVEMAN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks shags. Because I'm a complete noon its hard to know all the right questions to ask.

USAF CAVEMAN

Post by USAF CAVEMAN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Noob

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:18 pm

I was in a similar situation. Don't worry too much about the dogs age. You have plenty of time to teach. Especially with a good trainer. I would start by listing your location and posting a trainer request for your area. I'm sure someone on here knows of a good trainer in your area (or is one).

USAF CAVEMAN

Post by USAF CAVEMAN » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Lol yea I just realized I didn't put my location. I currently live in Texas specifically south east

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:07 am

Just curious Where u at in texas I live in crockett way east

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:16 am

I spent eight years in the Air Force. All the moving made having a dog kinda tuff. That would be a problem with having a dog in the first place. You might be in Texas today then get an overseas assignment tomorrow and couple years later be sent someplace else. Don't mean to give it a negative tone but that is a draw back. I had dog's at my last assignment but I also knew I'd be getting out there. Young lady on PDJ has Irish Setter's. She spent a year in Iraq and I think she said she left them with her parent's. My tour in Europe was three years, what to do for three years?

How long have you been at the different assignment's? If you can manage to keep all your assignment's in the US, then it's no problem. It's the oversea's one's that get you. Places like Europe are usually 2-3 year assignment's. Are you career?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:03 pm

$1000. a month in Ontario.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm

$500 -$750 out here in the South West.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Consider sending him North this summer, nothing better. Cost about $1,500 with any of the field trialnpros.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:$500 -$750 out here in the South West.

Same down in socal

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 am

$400 a month is about what I have found. I don't think you are that far behind. Are there any clubs in your area? You may be able to find someone that is experienced that would let you tag along a little and show you a few things. I would try to help, but I'm a long way from you.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 am

$500 a month.

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm

$500 - $700/month in Arizona. If your pup is only 10 months old he probably is only ready for a 1-month puppy clinic. That is where a trainer would work on basic things such as Here, introduction to birds and introduction to gunfire. You can do this pretty easily yourself. I would get a hold of a video called "The Perfect Start" by John Hann of Perfection Kennels. They have a really good training program for puppies while still keeping it light and fun.

http://www.perfectionkennel.com/order-dvds.html

10 months old is a little young to train a dog to be steady on point. I would wait another 6 months or so when he is just under a year and a half. Then you can take him to a trainer in July or August. The average time to finish green-breaking a pointing gun dog is 3 months. That way your trainer will be finished in September or October, just in time to hunt your dog on a season of wild birds!!!

On a side note, it's better not to do a whole lot of training with your dog if your new to it before you send your dog to the trainer. Trainers don't like having to fix issues with a dog caused by the owner before they can start the real gundog training.
Brian Cluff
Highway Ends Kennel
928-792-3301
Safford, AZ
http://www.highwayends.com/

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 am

I also can't stress enough how comfortable you need to be able to cummunicate with your trainer. A lot of trainers are very good at comunicating with and training the dogs. Therefore people skills can be severely lacking.. This is a problem because after the dog is trained the trainer must then train the owner how to handle their trained dog.
Brian Cluff
Highway Ends Kennel
928-792-3301
Safford, AZ
http://www.highwayends.com/

h&t

Post by h&t » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Sharon wrote:$1000. a month in Ontario.
really? :roll: including birds? is it the average or the well known gent?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:47 pm

No I made it up. :) :) We only have 3 really good trainers in Ontario, so they can get that price. The "well known gent" always has a long waiting list. Price includes everything - all birds - and detailed weekly written updates.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BIGSP

Post by BIGSP » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I've spent $350 and I've spent $1,000. I can honestly tell you I got a ton more out of the $1,000 than I did the $350. People that value their time should charge more. The $350 guy had a nice kennel, was a nice good and was an OK trainer. The $1,000 guy has a nicer facility and a better pedigree. I also went to a guy that was around $600 a good trainer but, the kennel sucked and his methods weren't exactly what I liked.

My advice would be to spend an hour or 2 with the guy doing a private lesson and see if you like his methods and him personally. I personally always question how much time my gun dog will get when it's with a field trialer. That's just me though. I live in Michigan.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 am

Training varies with the time put in, The question should be, How much will I be missing out on if don't have my dog PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED?
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I typically charge $600 / month + birds. Feeding is included.
Talk to your trainer about covering any extra costs.

Nate

USAF CAVEMAN

Post by USAF CAVEMAN » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. Its definitely going to be a challenge getting him trained while moving around...ill look at some local chapters and see if I can't tag along with someone down here.