Rescue a dog, will it hunt?

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I am looking at rescuing the sweetest English setter I have ever met. He is two years old, and in need of a good home that will help him put some weight on. He is extremely calm, and very well mannered. He doesn't know any commands, but he seemed to be willing to work for treats. I've never considered a setter, because I have decide on a gwp and a lab, but he is possibly the exception to my choice. I am an avid pheasant and grouse hunter so he might be a good fit if he can cAtch on to training. I'm kind of at a loss here guys, I need some help deciding. I loved the dog the second I saw him, but I really don't want to have another non hunting dog around. I've also never rescued a dog, and don't know what to expect. How would a setter compare to a gwp? Would I be able to get it to retrieve field geese? How about rabbits?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: Rescue a dog, will it hunt?

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:24 pm

What the?

I just posted on your other thread. I thought you had narrowed it down to a Lab a Springer or a Drathaar? Now your looking at a potential basket case? Buddy you need to take a breath and think about this. Not saying that this dog you found is definitely a total washout or a bench dog, but you have to consider the possibilities. Otherwise you could potentially end up feeding another house pet.

Nate

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 pm

I have a lot of respect for those that take in rescue dogs. But as Nate points out, you need to consider it won't hunt and further that it could have some serious issues.

If you want to evaluate the potential for this dog to hunt, ask to take the dog for a day and either take the dog to a pro for his evaluation or figure out how you can evaluate the dog yourself.

rons

Post by rons » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 pm

I have had a lot of luck with rescue dogs, 1 Brittany and 2 GWP's. The first 2, Brittany & GWP, I had no knowledge of if they could hunt and as amazed to discovered that they both were great gun dogs. The newest GWP had been hunted by their fosters before I got him and now waiting to send him to a trainer as soon as the weather clears. The main reason at first was for a family dog, guess I dot lucky. Hope you luck,

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:What the?

I just posted on your other thread. I thought you had narrowed it down to a Lab a Springer or a Drathaar? Now your looking at a potential basket case? Buddy you need to take a breath and think about this. Not saying that this dog you found is definitely a total washout or a bench dog, but you have to consider the possibilities. Otherwise you could potentially end up feeding another house pet.

Nate
Haha Nate I am decided to go with a DD first, then a lab later. The setter was only brought to my attention by my girlfriend. She found it at the humane society and brought me to take a look. He is a hard dog not to love but I pulled my hold and the other couple is going to take him. He will undoubtedly make a great pet. I just was having a brief moment of desire to adopt him and wanted to see what you guys thought. I talked it out with my hunting buddies and we all agreed that a setter would be awesome on grouse, but would do poorly for my true passion( goose and duck).

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 pm

rons wrote:I have had a lot of luck with rescue dogs, 1 Brittany and 2 GWP's. The first 2, Brittany & GWP, I had no knowledge of if they could hunt and as amazed to discovered that they both were great gun dogs. The newest GWP had been hunted by their fosters before I got him and now waiting to send him to a trainer as soon as the weather clears. The main reason at first was for a family dog, guess I dot lucky. Hope you luck,
That's awesome man! I would love to rescue a dog and find out it was a hunter. I would be alright if it wasn't, but hat would be icing on the cAke. How did you like the gwp's ? I might have to keep my eyes open. My girlfriend has it in her head that I have to adopt my next dog. She about killed me when I brought home journey as a puppy. But then she fell in love with him haha

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:57 pm

I've done some rescue work with bird dogs too. Once in a while you find a real diamond in the rough. Most often, however, the dog is in need of rescue because it did not work out as a hunting dog with the previous owner. The most common problem I have seen with rescues is gunshy. Are you able to contact the previous owner? If so, you might be able to find out what you are up against.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Nate, your post got me laughing man. Spot on! I was just a little puppy struck by this dog today, and wanted advice. I hope those folks love that setter and treat it well, he was a great dog. Wouldn't chase a ball for anything though, which was the only reason I didn't come home with him today.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 pm

What has been the story for the previous 2 years for the dog? Makes all the difference in the future. I've rescued 2 dogs - both disasters who I had to pay to put down when the Rescue Society should have earlier. Thank goodness an experienced dog person rescued them and not some naïve new pet owner. I wouldn't , but your decision.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:45 am

We've rescued two setters and had good experiences. The first was older, probably eleven or twelve, and stone deaf. Because of that we didn't let her run in unfamiliar places, but we used her as a training aid for our young dogs. She did a great job, was not always steady to shot, but found plenty of birds, pointed, and backed and brought us birds. Our current rescue we got as a five year old. She needed help with the recall and handling, but her birdwork is decent. From the first hers birds were retrieved to hand all on her own, I never had to speak to her at all.

Neither one of them had any interest in chasing down and bringing us a ball. What kind of a test is that?

rons

Post by rons » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 am

Both GWP's were around 2 years old, both males. One had a dark blanket, the newest one has a white blanket, Both are high prey driven. When searching for the latest I told NGWPR I was looking for a hunter and they helped me locate him. Both dogs weer great in the house but we had no young ones living with us only other pets. NO CATS. Good luck

Soilman

Post by Soilman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 am

I can't say if you can likely get the setter to hunt or not, but I can tell you this much from experience. Setters in general, are one of the most "want to please" breeds I've ever seen.
Many year ago, I took in an english setter that my uncle had. She was about 5 years old, completely untrained and extremely shy. It took a while, but once I won her trust, that dog would do about anything I could get her to understand. Her biggest limitation was me and my lack of knowledge on how to train her. She lived to a ripe old age of 18, and I have always considered her my "once in a lifetime" dog.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=42135
This dog was a give away that I've been working on. He was gun shy and lacked run.

Bond with that Setter, and I bet he makes you a fine grouse dog.