Garmin Alpha question

SA Doc

Garmin Alpha question

Post by SA Doc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Is there a way to lock the stimulation settings on the Alpha so they don't change if you a bump the screen? I keep it in the pocket of my bird vest when hunting and sometimes the settings get changed in my pocket. I use tone, momentary, and continuous but occasionally I think I'm hitting tone and accidentally shock or end up giving a higher stim than my dog needs. Surely with all the bells and whistles this thing has there's a way to lock the settings.

nhachman

Re: Garmin Alpha question

Post by nhachman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm

With the unit on, press the power button on the side. A screen is shown momentarily that has settings to adjust the display brightness, and also in the bottom right corner has the option to lock the touchscreen. When the touchscreen is locked the stimulation levels cannot be changed. To unlock, press the power button again and then touch the lock icon. The tactile buttons can all be used while the screen is locked.

SA Doc

Post by SA Doc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Is there a way to lock the stim buttons but still be able to see the compass or map?

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 am

When I lock my screen as described, I can see the compass but the stimulation buttons are locked out. I verified this with the collar in hand. So tracking is viewable but stimulation doesn't work and screen page changes are non-functional. That's a useful feature but locking out screen changes while retaining stimulation function would also be useful.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 am

Ok. I figured out how to lock the screen without locking out the stimulation function.

Go to:
The home screen where you see symbols for a map and compass rose at the top and square icons for New Hunt, Setup, Mark, Dog List, etc..

Select Setup.
Select Training
Select Button Lock to Manual instead of With Screen Lock
Go back to you compass tracking page, push the power button on the side quickly, a screen with the display brightness selector will appear, in the lower right corner is a padlock icon. Toggle the padlock until it looks like an unlocked padlock. That means it's locked and touching it again will unlock the screen. Use the return icon in the lower left corner to go back to the compass screen. Touch the screen. A message should appear saying the screen is locked. Try the stimulation buttons. No locked screen message should appear. You're set.

SA Doc

Post by SA Doc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Great. Thanks!! Just tried it and worked great. Going hunting in the morning and don't have to worry about settings changing accidentally.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:42 pm

when you get some time check the software version you have. They are up to 3. 0

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 pm

Correction. The handset latest s/w is 3.10 and the collar latest s/w is 2.70

I had a hard time finding the s/w especially for the collar. I finally had to Google it. I loaded all three collars and the handset successfully. If you need links to the s/w let me know. I'll dig it up again and post them.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:18 am

Great info, been trying to figure if this could be done.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Another Question

I want to have the compass stay visible when I am hitting the Tone button. It jumps to the training screen, which is a pain. My dogs don't need much in the way of corrections, but I use the tone a fair amount to keep them on to turn or check in when hunting.
Steve

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 pm

I am interested in the question above as well.

I like the Astro and separate e-collar because you can turn a dog with the collar and actually see if he is responding.

From what I gather with the Alpha, when you hit a stim button, it goes to training screen and you cannot see dog info on whether or not the dog turned, etc.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Sorry guys. I can't figure that out. I'd even like it better if you could adjust the time duration that the stim screen popped up. I'd be ok with a 1-2 second pop up of the stim screen. But it lingers like 5-10 seconds.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks for giving it a try.
Steve

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks.

That would take some getting used to for me...I like to be able to hit the button and watch for the turn without having to fumble with screens.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 pm

I have the latest software upgrades and still have trouble with the settings changing by themselves, occasionally. The screen lets me know by saying, call "GARMIN" AGAIN, 1-800-800-1020-X-2, 5, So I get out the cell phone, talk with a Garmin rep who are always very courteous and knowledgable. We rectify the problem, sometimes 30 minutes or so (My GWP is still on point ) so now we proceed. The last time this happened,(Thank God for the long range on these) we were in Arizona hunting Quail. I came back to Wisconsin and called Garmin, they told me I needed the updated software, we rectified the problem over the phone and I BEEPED my Wirehair in with the tone feature.-------------- She was still on point, She made it back from Arizona in 2 weeks flat!! Man, What a dog!!!!!

When this Alpha is working correctly, IT IS FIRST CLASS

PS. There may have been a little Bovine Excrement in the last sentence or two!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA