Summer camp trainers ?

oilcan

Summer camp trainers ?

Post by oilcan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Looking for info on any trainers that run "summer camps" up in the area of the Dakota's ,Montana or some where in that area.
I have talked to one (from this site) but would like to talk to a few others just to compare.
Thanks

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Summer camp trainers ?

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Most that I know advertise in The American Field, do a Google to subscribe. Robin Gates and a few others sttilll go to Canada.

It is the best investment in a young dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Sherri Ebert's lives up there. Gertie has taken her dog up a couple times and had nothing to say but good about the lady.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

keith

Post by keith » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Check out Monkeyshines Kennels. Dan DiMambro trains out that way in the summer. He is an awesome trainer and an all around good guy. He did some great things with my pup. Others on the forum have used him. Ask around, he doesn't disappoint. Keith

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 pm

You can't go wrong contacting Ray Dohse of Eshod Farms. He spends the Summer in the Wiliston ND area and hits a few of the trials up there. I have had him break most of my dogs, and he has local clients from the ND MT area while he is up there. He has one of the ND clients dog on the road and is doing good.
Ray has a great hand with the dogs, and amateur owners have great luck working and handling their own dogs he has trained in trials or just hunting.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

cmc274

Summer camp trainers ?

Post by cmc274 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:59 am

How old is your dog and what are your goals?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

Going by where you are located, I would check with Richie Robertson and Sheldon Twer. Shipping could cost as much as the training.

I have found the trip North of great value no matter my goals.

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 pm

"Check out Monkeyshines Kennels"
I did get ahold of them and had a real good talk but before making such a big decision i wanted to talk to a few others.

"How old is your dog and what are your goals?"

He would be 15 months old when most of the summer camps start.
Basically just trying to get him as much experience as he can early in his development.He is a Foot hunting dog and i will not be doing any trials.

Amother question i had is is there an ideal age that a dog will benifit the most from going to one of these camps ?
Would i be better off working on all of his training and getting him steady to shot and fall and letting him Hunt this season then send him next year to camp at 25 months of age ?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Either would be good, both better. If I could only chose one, I would go this coming Summer, it lays the foundation by building the desire to hunt for all that will follow.

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 am

I sent my pup 2 times to Richie Robertson for wild birds exposure. First time at six months (2 months) and again at 1 year (2 months). It was worth every penny.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 pm

I've know Danny at Monkeyshine kennels for a number of years and have seen him develop a lot of great dogs.
My dog went with him to ND two summers ago and I was more than pleased with his work.
He handled Fred Ryans Chicoree's what a hoodlum (Hoodie) to Shooting Dog of the Year, 2013.
Good luck in your search.
Smitty