AKC hunt test questions

lugmastro

AKC hunt test questions

Post by lugmastro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 am

I have a few questions regarding AKC hunt tests.

1. Is there a website/ database somewhere that list when and where tests will be conducted in each region of the country?

2. The AKC rules are written to say that I can test a dog at the Senior Hunter level without the dog being a Junior Hunter. Am I reading that correctly?

3. Is there an age limit as to how old a dog can be when it is tested as a Junior Hunter?

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: AKC hunt test questions

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:42 am

1. Is there a website/ database somewhere that list when and where tests will be conducted in each region of the country?
http://www.akc.org/events/search/index. ... xed_tab=12 Select "Hunting Tests" from the "Competition Type" drop down. Also select "All future events" from the "Time Frame" dropdown. Click on the states you are interested in and then click "Search"
2. The AKC rules are written to say that I can test a dog at the Senior Hunter level without the dog being a Junior Hunter. Am I reading that correctly?
Yes. When running a dog in SH without a JH title, you will be required to earn 1 or 2 extra SH legs to earn the title. The Regs explain the number of legs/passes required for this situation.
3. Is there an age limit as to how old a dog can be when it is tested as a Junior Hunter?
No upper age limit, but the dog must be at least 6 months old.

If there is one being conducted relatively close to you, take a trip to check it out. The test secretaries or just about any handler or hosting club member should be able to give you great insight and answer most of your questions. At one time, AKC had field reps making a visit to some tests and if one happens to be there, you can also ask them questions.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 am

lugmastro wrote:I have a few questions regarding AKC hunt tests.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.
1.yes.AKC.org Search events Hunt tests
2. Yes.
Dogs can learn bad habits in junior tests which can haunt you later in senior and master. Biggest reason for doing junior is to learn a bit about handling.
3. 6 months. No upper limit
CJ

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for the help.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 am

Have plenty of water
Point your blank gun at the ground when firing.
It is pass/ fail not a compition.
Respect and help your bracemate there will be a time when you or your dog will need the same.
Don't be a bird hog. After you get a bird go to a previously worked area, until your bracemate gets theirs.
Respect the judges, you are looking at your dog knowing their capability. The judges are only seeing today's performance and for 30 minutes.

Pass or fail your dog will have fun, we need to be more like our dogs!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Hahaha always point your blank gun at the ground. This is very true. Most people have no idea how funny it looks when you try to pop off one at the sky. It's a blank gun

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:45 pm

I had to learn this as I was a swimming official back when we used starting pistols and we were taught to hold the gun straight up so your arm covered you ear. It's much easier to just point it at the ground. Safer too.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 am

We were taught to point level or up so you do not shoot near a dog's ear. More than one has become gun shy after being shot near. Yes, it may not be your dog as the other dog may come up behind you especially in Juniors.

Carla

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Hold it down next to your leg.. It will make it easier on your ears. If your running JH I believe you can hold your dog so it doesn't interfere with the brace mate.... Your dog shouldn't be running past another handler to rip out a bird...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 am

I took mine through JH - wouldn't ever do that again with my dogs, too much chance of him catching birds. However, I did skip SH totally and had to earn extra MH passes to get the title since I didn't have the SH title. I choose not to do SH because the dogs are not very well broke - potentially causing my dog to have more issues. I just went straight to breaking him totally. I wanted him steady to wing and shot anyway - so no real reason to put him in situations where he was with dogs who may or may not honor and might grab his birds.

Funny story - had a pompous older gentleman running his setter (I believe it was a setter) in a brace with me. We got to visiting as we were waiting to run, he was concerned about running against my dog who hadn't passed SH yet. I told him my dog was broke and we didn't have anything to worry about - he just kept saying that he didn't want my dog near his when he did bird work. We both made it to the "callbacks" - the dogs had no chance to honor through a retrieve for our dogs on course, so we set up for callbacks. They ran my dog first - he handled VERY well and then they asked me if I'd use him to set up for the setter on the callback (he needed an honor through the retrieve) Rooster pointed the bird and was staunch.....as soon as that bird got up and the gunner shot, that setter went flying past Rooster at a hunert miles an hour! Broke bigger than crap! That guy was so embarrassed and I just chuckled to myself. Made Rooster stand there until he managed to call his dog off. He drove off really quickly and I didn't get the chance to talk with him again. Just shows that you never know what your dog is going to do, so being kind to others is a good strategy.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:54 am

You only need one extra pass if you just do Master. 5 if you do senior and 6 if you do only master.