Pigeon traps

Gerd-dog

Pigeon traps

Post by Gerd-dog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 pm

I received my perfect start DVD and have watched it a couple times and am ready to start introducing live birds to my wirehair. Only problem is I don't have anybody to buy pigeons from. I do know quite a few farmers and plan on trying my hand at trapping them. My question is what pigeon trap to buy? Also any other tips would be welcomed.

roaniecowpony

Re: Pigeon traps

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

A particular trap isn't going to be your issue. Pigeons get wise after being trapped. You will likely be only able to trap at one location a few times before they won't go into the trap again. Any decent design will work fine. Make one

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:06 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:A particular trap isn't going to be your issue. Pigeons get wise after being trapped.
Hmm, that's not been my experience. I had one roof that I trapped on for quite some time and average 7 pigeons a week for over a year. I finally caught so many of them (and killed them) that they were just gone from the roof.

For beginning trappers, the biggest mistake you can make is checking it too frequently. You should only go around it about once a week. Just make sure you have enough feed and especially water for the birds you catch. It might also take a little longer the first time for the birds to actually start going into the trap. I try to check mine on Friday so I have the birds for weekend training. If you can, place the trap where you can check it without getting on the roof. But, if the roof can be seen by the general public, I would put it in a place where no one can see it. I have had 3 different traps stolen. I draw them in by scattering grain around the trap with a pile in front of the door and just inside it. It also helps if you can start with a "confidence" bird in the trap. The entrance way needs to funnel the birds toward the door as well. I have also had more luck with a home built trap than with the commercial ones I have tried. The secret is in the one way door. I think you can buy just a door and build your own box. For my doors, I use four 8" pieces of 3/8' pvc pipe for the drops. The local hardware store sells air line "T" unions the just fit inside the pvc. I push the leg of the union down in the pipe and then cut the arms off at the first joint. I run a piece of all thread through each top with a flat washer between them so they will swing freely. Nyla-nuts at either end snug up the drops so that I have four independent swinging gates about an inch apart covering an opening about10"x10". I put a stop on the floor of the trap about an inch back of the center line so that the drops will fall into place but won't be so far back as to leave a gap on the side. Viola, one-way door. It works really well and I can build them for about $8 a piece.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 am

If you're handy and want to make a couple yourself, check out this video. I wish I would have seen this video after I purchased my commercially fabricated trap.

http://youtu.be/EgUT8WXEvSY

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:37 am

Whoadog
My trapping has been at parks and market parking lots where the birds are pretty much resident and you get the same birds. Roof trapping may be different and maybe you get more transient birds.

I can usually go to a place I hadn't trapped at before and get a few birds in 10 minutes if they are plentiful. But places I've trapped at repeatedly will be hard to get them to get in the trap.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:09 am

Try getting permission from some of your farmer friends to catch birds in the hayloft. Go at night with an assistant. Bring a good ladder and a bird bag. Have your assistant hold the end of the ladder and a good flashlight. A headlight is also nice to have. This is more efficient than trapping if you have a good location or two available. Always leave some for seed.

Nate

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:Whoadog
My trapping has been at parks and market parking lots where the birds are pretty much resident and you get the same birds. Roof trapping may be different and maybe you get more transient birds.

I can usually go to a place I hadn't trapped at before and get a few birds in 10 minutes if they are plentiful. But places I've trapped at repeatedly will be hard to get them to get in the trap.
Ah, I see. I suppose that would make a difference. I also have a car wash I hit at night when I am low. I use a dip net on an etendable paint pole. I can usually catch about 30 in an hour or two.

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Another option, and this is the one I'm going to try. First, I built a coop (actually still building, but I went with the Wild Rose Plans). I plan to keep the ferals in there and use them sparingly at first. But, it is my understanding that after about 30-days in the coop, they will rehome there after that. Hope so.

Now, for the pigeons, I too was going to trap them. But, I thought I'd throw a Craigslist Ad out there and see what was there. Seems others will sell me pigeons they caught for around $2. I think this is well worth it. I don't have to buy/build traps or put all the time into the trapping. Rather I can spend my time training like what I want to do.

Put out a Craigslist ad and see what/who responds. I live in the middle of nowhere, literally. The nearest Home Depot is 100-miles away! I had five people respond to my ad!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 am

rlrobinhood wrote:Another option, and this is the one I'm going to try. First, I built a coop (actually still building, but I went with the Wild Rose Plans). I plan to keep the ferals in there and use them sparingly at first. But, it is my understanding that after about 30-days in the coop, they will rehome there after that. Hope so.

Now, for the pigeons, I too was going to trap them. But, I thought I'd throw a Craigslist Ad out there and see what was there. Seems others will sell me pigeons they caught for around $2. I think this is well worth it. I don't have to buy/build traps or put all the time into the trapping. Rather I can spend my time training like what I want to do.

Put out a Craigslist ad and see what/who responds. I live in the middle of nowhere, literally. The nearest Home Depot is 100-miles away! I had five people respond to my ad!
Yes, the feral pigeons will learn to home to their new loft but not 100% of the time but this is great for the birds you will shoot. Place an ad for young homing pigeons or culls that you can raise and not shoot. This gives you and endless suppy and soon you will be giving them away or throwing eggs away!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm

If trapping feral pigeons, is it OK to just shoot them? I don't want to mess with building or keeping a coop. I have access to a large feedlot to trap them at and figured I would just shoot them after the point each time.

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 pm

mtlhdr wrote:If you're handy and want to make a couple yourself, check out this video. I wish I would have seen this video after I purchased my commercially fabricated trap.

http://youtu.be/EgUT8WXEvSY

I used this video as a plan for my trap,and I have caught six pigeons since Sunday. Thanks for the plans!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:18 am

rlrobinhood wrote:Another option, and this is the one I'm going to try. First, I built a coop (actually still building, but I went with the Wild Rose Plans). I plan to keep the ferals in there and use them sparingly at first. But, it is my understanding that after about 30-days in the coop, they will rehome there after that. Hope so.

Don't rely on the 30 days program. Some will and some won't. Just write off the one's that don't. Better way is wait until they are on eggs. Open the bob's and let them come and go. Every two or three days drop one bob, they will learn to trap. Ferals will trap farther away than you probably train. My ferals returned from 50 mi once I got them going good. Homer's will home from farther, are quieter birds and larger. The only reason I got homer's was to use them a lot farther away from home than I normally do. When flushing, my homer's have a tendency to walk around a bit before leaving, great for a finished dog, hard on a pup.

If you get homer's they can be from free to hundreds of dollars each. Or you could buy ferals anywhere up to about $5 ea. Or the best plan is to catch your own. A building they roost in, bird bag, ladder and flashlight. I have seldom had a need for the ladder. I do have a long handled smelt net. Very soft string, big around and deep. If you get one roosting with no back door, just trap it with the net and usually they will fly into the net. If you get one flying, to light where you are, net them from behind. Most will avoid the net if you try to get them from the front. to much light and they will try to get out of the net. Learn to catch the bird and flip it over the rim of the net, traps them in.

I've had ferals over 30 yrs now. Have not had to buy or catch any for about that long. Come to think of it, I've never had to buy any. What does need to happen now and then is to kill off extras or give them away or sell them. I give them to friends and sell a bunch to other's I don't know. Make a bigger loft than you think you'll need and you'll never run out of birds.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!