Need Advise on two setters

birddog98

Need Advise on two setters

Post by birddog98 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Number one setter...Does everything good in my eyes great dog etc bird to hand etc now I want him to steady to wing and shot or when the bird drops dead...Any suggestions how? Number two setter ..She is steady to wing was running trials where they just shot blanks and off to the next bird...Now I want her to bring to hand...Should I put a check cord on her and when I release her let her grab the bird and bring in? First setter should I keep on cord or collar and then when bird drops let him get it...I know there are many books and dvds out there some I just don't get they flip flop around...Any help..Thanks...I do use e collars but usually just a tone button..

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Need Advise on two setters

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Too bad they couldn't teach each other the skills that are missing.:)
You want one dog steady to wing and shot; you want the other dog to retrieve.
Both skills you can teach with a good resource to follow for help. Too much to explain in a post.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm

is the first dog collar conditioned and whoa broke ...if so theres your answer it should not be that hard ...dog two you may want to force fetch him

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 pm

I'd start with stop to flush on dog 1 ...easy progression from there to steady, though steady to wsf will take regular maintenance. FF dog 2.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 pm

I'd get the Perfect Finish DVD - it will help you without flip flopping around. I recommend it because I'm a visual kind of person and it's good to see that stuff in action on the DVD. Books help me some, but I do better with a DVD.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for advice