Looking for some help in North Carolina

Ceige209

Looking for some help in North Carolina

Post by Ceige209 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Located on Ft Bragg, NC. Just got my first GSP pup and was looking for people in the area willing to help or or any training going on around here. Contacted NAVHDA and they don't really specify any locations or times for training. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for some help in North Carolina

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Ceige209 wrote:Located on Ft Bragg, NC. Just got my first GSP pup and was looking for people in the area willing to help or or any training going on around here. Contacted NAVHDA and they don't really specify any locations or times for training. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I came across this group when I searched the AKC site for hunt tests.

http://sandhillspointingbreedsclub.org/

You might give those folks a shout. I think they are pretty close to you and from what I read on their website, they might be just exactly what you are looking for.

RayG

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Ray that is a great group in nc. The original poster will find what he needs there.

Mo

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Ceige209, I have been many time to this clubs events:
http://sandhillspointingbreedsclub.org/
There are many good people there.

The Carolina NAVHDA Chapter is an awesome chapter to join. I am a member with this group. They normally have official training days once per month in NC and once per month in SC. However, I believe you will find people training every weekend though from the group.

Try googling Carolina Navhda Chapter. There are many many people there that can give you hands on help.

I located in Loris, SC and I am usually working with my dogs every Saturday morning bright and early.

There are also others at Bragg that are working bird dogs. One of the guys trains dogs for the military, Calvin Curnutte.

Also, I believe lugmaestro on this forum is normally at Bragg but currently over seas until summer. He has mentioned that he hunts the Sandhills near you at Bragg with his GSP.

Scout0861

Post by Scout0861 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm in Wilmington, I have a 5 month old English Setter that I am training or trying to right now, with the game lands off limits to running dogs right now I am limited to where I can go. Also getting birds is hard for me as I can't keep them. I ran my pup out at Allen Brothers in Bladenboro, but with the quail season over they dont have birds anymore. I am willing to travel to train.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Scout, you should consider contacting the two groups I mentioned as well. Everywhere sells out of birds this time of year. When the season comes back around, there will be plenty of birds available.

I have guided a good bit at Allen Brothers and it may be the nicest grounds I know of. However, you will find it much more economical to join the clubs I mentioned earlier and buy quail through them and train with them.

Scout0861

Post by Scout0861 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Carolina Gundogs,

I am definitely going to look into one of the clubs, I have probably run into you out there, my buddy guides with his 3 LLewellins out there a little bit

Ceige209

Post by Ceige209 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Will look into that group, thank you very much for the help. Look forward to this, having a blast with the little guy already.