Need a trainer in Tennessee

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:52 am

Hey,

I am in need of a trainer or some suggestions to one located in Tennessee. This is my first dog to have trained for hunting. Monte is a black lab. He'll be 10 months old tomorrow (4/1/2014). I got him from a great breeder and I've inquired about his training services (waiting to hear back), but wanted to exhaust all outlets before deciding. Monte has been introduced to gun fire, water and will retrieve and return to heel. What I'm really wanting his someone that can get him ready for the season this year and also instill some necessary obedience. He's a well behaved pup, but has his moments as they all do and at this point I believe it's time for a professional's touch. Any help, advice, etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Reed

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Need a trainer in Tennessee

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Dave Jones in Berea Kentucky is one of the best and very close to Tennessee.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Are you at all interested in doing some or all of the training yourself?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for the contact, Ezzy.

As far as continuing Monte's training on my own, I think I've done about all I can do. Truth be told, I probably need just as much training as the pup haha.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Corollary to Evan's question, is "it time for a professional retriever trainer's touch?" You've got a couple of those in Tennessee and neighboring states to the south of you who are highly regarded.

MG

rons

Post by rons » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

I'll second Dave Jones, my Wirehair is with him now. :D
Last edited by rons on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Gave Dave Jones a call and had a great chat; liked what I heard. Probably going to take a visit and check out his facilities soon.

alynch

Post by alynch » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

you will like working with Joneys, and so will your dog

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Sat May 24, 2014 6:34 am

Could anyone give me the number for Dave Jones at Jonesy's Gundogs? I misplaced his number. Thanks in advance.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 am

reedblackwell wrote:Could anyone give me the number for Dave Jones at Jonesy's Gundogs? I misplaced his number. Thanks in advance.
Your dog is a Labrador, correct? It's not likely you'll get a pointer pro who even knows how to do formal retriever Basics. I'll be glad to help you, but you need to converse with me on this. You do want your Labrador to work as a retriever, is that right?

Image Click for video

When you go to your pro's kennel, have him show you a dog that can do this. If he can't, leave, and find a pro who can. Or contact me, and I'll show you how you can do this yourself.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 am

FORMAL RETRIEVER BASICS

For anyone wondering what that is.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8 ) Single tee
9) Double tee
10) Water tee with Swim-by

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

scsims

Post by scsims » Sat May 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I've met with Jonesy several times and my Britt is going to him in about 3 weeks, then again this fall.

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Sun May 25, 2014 1:12 am

Evan - I do have a Labrador. I would love to do the training on my own, but due to school (taking summer classes all summer) I cannot find the time/locations to have accomplish good consistent work. I start classes first week of June and also have a job. So, this is the perfect time for my lab to go away to a trainer; it's also somewhat of a necessity.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sun May 25, 2014 7:34 am

reedblackwell wrote:Evan - I do have a Labrador. I would love to do the training on my own, but due to school (taking summer classes all summer) I cannot find the time/locations to have accomplish good consistent work. I start classes first week of June and also have a job. So, this is the perfect time for my lab to go away to a trainer; it's also somewhat of a necessity.
I'll get you the name of a competent retriever trainer.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon May 26, 2014 7:40 am

http://www.loneoakretrievers.net/ J. Paul Jackson, actual retriever trainer

http://www.northforkretrievers.com/about/ Scott Greer, the same

Get your retriever trained by someone who knows how.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

reedblackwell

Post by reedblackwell » Tue May 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Evan,

Had a good talk with Lone Oak. They appreciate the referral; as do I. Thanks for guidance and I'll keep you posted on my dog's progress.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm

You'll be glad you worked with them. Give my best to J. Paul!

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 am

J Paul is a good one, tell him Jonesy, says hi! I bought a 11 mo old female off him named "Mouse" that was popping on the blind work. I taught her the extra confidence needed, and she worked out very well, and the popping quit.

Reedblackwell, there are alot of good pros, some you might have to travel a lil bit for and some not. Nothing taken from J Paul, but you can go up north and go to Dave Ward, Timber ridge retrievers, I spent alot of time with him, Paul Sleton, he learned under Andy Attar, super good hand with a dog. Jim Van Egan, he usually does a seminar in spring, with the retrievers. I think Andy is about out of it, or was working that way few years back. These guys are out of wisconsin. Paul Lance, Lance Kennels, Tremont Illinois. Pauls a good one, we hunted for a long time together, and runs a nice retriever kennel. You can call Woody Thurman, Twin Lakes Kennel, he knows me real well, he's in Laurel Hills NC. I had a young dog, "Gracie" I took there and worked one day. 9 mo old, and there were couple guys out of maryland there, getting ready with Woody, for master national, my pup, put pretty big smile on the faces, going from 40 yards land, 30 yards swim, and 25 yards up hill, on land for a mark.

Evan G. you have no reason, to try to hang me out to dry. Your poop smells same as mine. Maybe a lil worse, depends on what you ate. Whatever the breed........a dog is a learning animal. You help them learn and do things, they will. You be fair to the dog and it will be fair to you. You have to adjust accorcingly to each dog.

You dont know me, or who I learned from. I know, you have never met me, or shaken my hand. I wouldnt think as much as you state that you have accomplished, you would not be jealous of a lil ol' gun dog pro.........and try and hang me out on the line. LOl, Kinda gives me one of the life lessons, on "how to judge character" I'll keep this one in my hat, for further use.
Hope it all goes good, reedblackwell, your welcome to come up anytime and work. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 am

I hope your trainer works for you, OP
Aside from that I am disappointed in the progression of this thread. Distasteful to say the least.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:18 am

mountaindogs wrote:I hope your trainer works for you, OP
Aside from that I am disappointed in the progression of this thread. Distasteful to say the least.
Couldn't agree more. I expected so much more from the people involved.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.