Lindley training resources

idcuda

Post by idcuda » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 am

I'm really leaning towards the Lindley training methods for my new pup, but I'm having trouble finding resources and I'm getting frustrated trying to create a training plan. I've found all of Martha Greenlee's books, videos, websites, etc. Even with that, I'm wondering if the books, like Training with Mo, are step-by-step programs. The other materials I've downloaded, such as "What's the Point?" are just tips and references and the information seems a bit more scattered. I'm more of an A-B-C person.

Anyone have experience with these? Can I get Training with Mo, along with the seminar DVDs, and have it be enough for me to train my Brittany? I was considering using the Hickox material instead, since there seems to be more sequential material out there, but I would prefer to use the West, Lindley, Higgins, etc methods (based on my research). I emailed Martha and she seemed very nice and responsive; now that I'm thinking about it, I should probably ask her these questions :) .

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:54 am

Martha will be able to help you. Mo goes by Maurice on here too. He'll be able to help.

Carolina Gundogs

Re: Lindley training resources

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 am

I have used his book, "Training With Mo".
There is a place in the book that lays out step by step.
Mo and Martha also offer seminars that would be a wise investment.
I have used his book to train my last four dogs all the way steady through the kill.

I have been fortunate enough to go train with Mo a couple of times. I consider this time priceless.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I have been fortunate enough to go train with Mo a couple of times. I consider this time priceless.
I have this on my bucket list.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:11 am

The answer is yes; but get the book and video, it will make it a lot more easier to understand and like was said Mo is on here and has alway's been willing to help ; Jonesy use's this method and can help to answer your question's also.

Tika V

Post by Tika V » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 am

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I have used his book, "Training With Mo".
There is a place in the book that lays out step by step.
Mo and Martha also offer seminars that would be a wise investment.
I have used his book to train my last four dogs all the way steady through the kill.

I have been fortunate enough to go train with Mo a couple of times. I consider this time priceless.
+1 Especially the last line.

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 am

Email me at southerngundog@aol.com I will try and answer some of your questions. This time on year is busy before the hot weather sets in so it might take me several days to reply to questions.

Regards

Mo

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 am

I don't do aa lot of reading but that book by Mo sure get's a lot of praise. I just might have to get it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 am

Great question, but you lost me at ABC... the training method you are looking at (Bill West Method) is a philosophy on how to read and look at your puppy, to help you change the way you think about training. This will in turn help you to develop your pup into a gun dog you desire.

When we met Martha, she introduced us to the West method, we knew ahead of time this is what we were looking for. We were looking for guidance to keep us focused. We had been training with people that did the ABC method and it wasn’t for us. Martha has the unique ability to communicate the development process to the handler on how to put your dog in a learning mode (how to teach your dog to learn).

Mo has a method of ABC but it is not an absolute, people want to speed read through the book, trying to get to that ABC, skipping the most important parts of the book because they were under the impression that they already knew what was in that chapter. Go to www.steadywithstyle.com read Martha’s “Weakest Link” and you will see what I mean. Your dog will tell you when they are ready to move on...

I personally have never liked a strict ABC training program. If that is what you are really looking for I would point you in the direction to a NAVHDA versatile training program where in general they are under time restrictions for testing. More obedience, because of the cross over from the pointing to the duck work.

The West method is that each dog is an individual painting, not something that can be copied.

“Training with Mo” and “Training tips your bird dog will love” are 2 great books that will help change the way you think about training. DVD is nice too, it is more about the launchers and releaser – timing and how to use them properly.
http://www.aspenridgekennels.com
Facebook; Aspen Ridge Kennels, Braque du Bourbonnais ~ Upland Hunters, Woodcock Michigan

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 pm

I've found the short pdf and the Martha books to be great. I need to get the two longer books myself. What I've read and used so far has been some of the best-written, most succinct training material I've seen anywhere.

idcuda

Post by idcuda » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone. Book, DVDs, and pinch collar on order :)

Mo, thanks for the offer - I appreciate it and will probably take you up on it.

Becassier, I hadn't found a concise summary of the training theory, so I was starting to second-guess my decision on the West method. Now that I've decided to utilize this program, I've read and re-read the field manual, "A Kinder, Gentler, Quieter Way...", as well as Greenlee's "What's the Point". Now I see the progression more clearly and it's pretty exciting to see the possibilities. Your point about speeding through the book (and training) is well-taken; I've lived through that before x2.

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Becassier wrote:
The West method is that each dog is an individual painting, not something that can be copied.
Ive had that thought before.

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Another book I liked was Dave Walkers. I was already using the West method and read it to see what the differences were between what I knew and what D Walker does.